Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 Gauge Shotgun in the new movie "Appalosa"

8 Gauge Shotgun in the new movie "Appalosa"

Anyone seen this movie?
    8 Gauge Shotgun side by side.
    Just for kicks does anyone make a replica?
    Did anyone see the size of the shells?
    Does anyone make a reloader or dies for this caliber?
    Brass cartridges with black powder would seem like a challenging reload.
    TIA,
    Duke

If you might not have one of these walking around your back yard, do not ask!, "why would you need a gun that big ha hah ha!" need not reply.

Last edited by Just Duke; 10-05-2008 at 01:27 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm reasonably certain anything larger than a 10 gauge is illegal in the US, since when and according to what I don't know. I have read that they are still used and popular for waterfowling in Europe (British Isles, I think). I have seen very old memoribilia on rare occasion. I think they may also have a legal industrial use.

I'm sure someone here can chime in with more certainty than I.

Josh

Boolit Buddy
    Wow, that is one big honking bear. I begin to doubt my .375! What would anyone carry (be realistic, now), If I expected to encounter such a monster? The best thing I might have is the old 1100 with hardcast RB.

Bob K

Boolit Buddy
    8 ga isn't legal for hunting migratory fowl in the U.S. Upland bird use legality would vary state-by-state--not that I'd wanta lug one of those after pheasants, but to each his own. If you just want to own and shoot an 8 gauge, no problem. I think industrial use hulls are available, probably fresh ones, too. Try Ballistic Products (google is your friend) Might be just the gun for an afternoone with a case of clays and a thrower.

Boolit Buddy
    BTW, that is _some_ bear! I've never seen a grizzly in the wild--look at the size of that paw!

Boolit Master
    Man that's a big critter! I have enough trouble with coyotes, can't imagine sharing the woods with something like that around.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Naph has these babies in his front yard a few yards from his garbage cans on trash day.
    Now you know why he wants a 50-110! lol
    Last edited by Just Duke; 10-05-2008 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
    8 ga isn't legal for hunting migratory fowl in the U.S.
    That don't look like no waterfowl. lol
    It's more like it's people season and he's hungry!

Moderator Emeritus
    Man OH! Man; if that bear decided he wanted to join us at the BARBIE-Que; he have it alll to himself.

I can see why you would want an 8 gauge; solids would be good and the second shot if you missed on the first.

Duke, OT? How is Gil GRISSOM (William PETERSEN) and his CSI team going? The locla TV station took them off the air about a year ago. It was the only version of that show I liked.

John.
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post

Duke, OT? How is Gil GRISSOM (William PETERSEN) and his CSI team going? The locla TV station took them off the air about a year ago. It was the only version of that show I liked.

John.
    OMFG! That show should be on the Sci Fi channel. The CSI is an overhead garage door into a plain jane warehouse. My buddy runs the team and has a gorgeous Philipino wife. We know some other and the show is FICTION!

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    OMFG! That show should be on the Sci Fi channel. The CSI is an overhead garage door into a plain jane warehouse. My buddy runs the team and has a gorgeous Philipino wife. We know some other and the show is FICTION!
    Yea, I know but I used to get a chuckle watching some of the episodes and some of the characters were interesting. You had to take it as what it was tho; fiction.

Back to the bear; That thing would not even be able to wear my boots and I wear size 15/4e's.

John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Back to the gun too.

Boolit Master

My lord, that is one eating machine. Accidently running on to that would be the ultimate hunters nightmare.

Moderator Emeritus
    Ok DUKE!

The diameter of the bore is 0.835". The shells originally came in 3", 3 1/4" and 4" lengths.

The 3 1/4" shotshells were available from Game Bore in England.

Oh and as you know, it was banned in the US in 1918 in the interest of game conservation. But if you use it as a slug gun that may be a different matter.
    I am told that their bark (Range) was worse than their bite (recoil) as they were design to get a load of shot up to the high flying birds.

Sorry, I can't find you the case dimensions.
    Oops! here they are
    Rim dia. = 0.998"
    Base dia. = 0.913"
    Mouth dia. = 0.902"

Lengths with roll crimp = 2.75", 3.00", 3.13", 3.25", 3.75" and 4.00" For a fired shell add .25" to all those measurements.

John
    Last edited by Bigjohn; 10-06-2008 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Case dimensions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Emeritus
    Duke, sorry to 'hog' your thread but I've just had a thought.

If you are planning to go after a beast simular to the one in the photos; a shotgun, even an 8 gauge might not be the ideal weapon of choice.

I base this upon the following; a shotgun is normally designed as light as it is humanly possible to launch a load of shot at birds or running game.

Big & Dangerous game is normally tackled with a double rifle of large calibre. Or even one of the 4 bores.

IMHO a shotgun is going to punish you if you use a lot of heavy slug loads and shake the gun loose as has happened to a lot of the old BP proof shotgun and smokeless loadings.

Just my two cents,

John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A friend who is a retired gunsmith once made up a mould for 10 ga. slugs that looked like those things used in badmitten.I can't remember what their called.Or airgun pellets.Anyway they looked similar.Hollow base.Seems like they weighed 900 grs.or there abouts.He made the mould for an Alaska game warden who had the job of dealing with problem grizzlies.This was in the middle or late 60's.He said the game warden told him they worked really well.I don't know the load they used.

IMHO a shotgun is going to punish you

John.
    I can take alot of punishment I'm married. lol

Duke, sorry to 'hog' your thread but I've just had a thought.

If you are planning to go after a beast simular to the one in the photos; a shotgun, even an 8 gauge might not be the ideal weapon of choice.

I base this upon the following; a shotgun is normally designed as light as it is humanly possible to launch a load of shot at birds or running game.

Big & Dangerous game is normally tackled with a double rifle of large calibre. Or even one of the 4 bores.

IMHO a shotgun is going to punish you if you use a lot of heavy slug loads and shake the gun loose as has happened to a lot of the old BP proof shotgun and smokeless loadings.

Just my two cents,

John.
    Hog it John! We are all learning here and appreciate the specs on the shell size. I mean that.

Moderator Emeritus
    http://www.gamebore.com/index.asp

The above is a link to the company which was making the cartridges; I can not find the 8 gauge listed.
    They have a notice stating that they are re-constructing their website and maybe that is why the 8 Gauge is missing.

John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    I can take alot of punishment I'm married. lol
    I have never met your SWMBO but you could be in a whole different world of pain if she reads this over your shoulder.

Take care,
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast