Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee 430-310 sized .432?

Boolit Bub

Lee 430-310 sized .432?

I am interested in making my own boolits. I reload for my 44 mag ruger blackhawk and a single shot .445 supermag rifle. I am interested in the Lee 430-310 bullet and it would be great if I could use the boolit for both. The problem is the rifle uses .430” boolits and the revolver uses .432”

Can any one comment on what size the lee mould tipically drops. If I can get one that drops boolits at .432” can i size it down to use in the rifle as well or would squeezing it down .002” be too much? Thanks

Boolit Master

I have an NOE 300 g mold for my Rossi 92 and it won't fit in my RSBH. I imagine that it would but I would have to seat it much deeper but then I wouldn't be able to use the round in the Rifle. Get a mold for each. Get the Lee for the pistol and a mold for the rifle. I've been looking at these http://arsenalmolds.com/bullet-molds...d=89&limit=100, http://arsenalmolds.com/bullet-molds...d=91&limit=100

I cast some a couple weeks ago using 12 BHN wheel weights and 2% tin. I size them to .431 for a Ruger Super Redhawk. With that alloy, they dropped at .432.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Boolit Master
    My 50/50 WW/Pb drops at .4318 with the Lee 430-310RF. This bullet is known as having the BC of a brick.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Moderator Emeritus

Lee molds vary.
    I have a 430-310 RF mold that drops a hair smaller than .431 using COWW.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Mine were dropping at just around .430" with coww
    I powder coated them to bring them up to .433" for my Rossi.

Boolit Grand Master

I would start with slugging the barrel of the rifle and the cylinder throats of your revolver. These measurements will give you the best starting point for proper bullet size for your guns. Where did you get the bullet diameters you listed? A .432" bullet would probably work in your revolver, but a .430" may be too small for the rifle (SAAMI 44 Mag. rifle barrels are .431".). Bullet diameters as cast can vary several thousandths depending on the alloy, the mold temp., and the melt temp. If you get a mold and it drops bullets at .433" yes you can size them down .002" with no adverse effects...

Just wondering; how did you reach your decision on a 310 gr. bullet?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Would depend on the Lee mold. I have the 310gr mold, but your lucky to get .429 bullets out of it much less bigger. I leemented it, usable, but an NOE mold blows it away, so stopped using it.

I have a Lee mold of the 310 and My RH I size to 430 and my Marlin I size to 431 . I still had the boolit over the 431. So it would work for you on that one for how it looks.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA