Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: help with a 30-30 load

Boolit Bub

help with a 30-30 load

I inherited several thousand .30 cal lead bullets. The ones that interest me the most for hunting are from Carroll Bullets, 190 gas checked. I found a load here that my gun and I like 21 grains of imr 4198, not sure of velocity. I shooting a contender with a rifle barrel.
    My question is how do you know how it's going to do on an animal, whitetails? Bullet too hard and just get two 30 cal holes? If I was using my 45/70 I wouldn't worry because I know I would get at least two 45 cal holes.
    I don't want a deer to be a test.

A big stack of wet newspapers or phone books simulate flesh and organs nicely if there two hard there is a theard on here that tell you how to soften the tips for expansion as I remember you stand them in water up to the top of the driving bands or lube grooves and heat the tip with a torch until you see a change in its surface (colour change) them immediately move to the next one should soften enould to start expansion nicely
    Last edited by Cast_outlaw; 12-11-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Are the bullets flat nosed like 31141? If so I have used a load very like yours on 3 deer that I remember, 1 ran about 20 yards and fell over, other 2 didn't take a step. all were calm and unaware. All were inside 50 yards. My load of 22 gr Rl 7 was 1725fps from memory from the 24 inch barrel of a rem141 30 remington. Your load should be close to mine, with a flat nose and good placement all should be good. If they are round nosed, take a file to them!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, they are not round nose, but not as flat as the 31141 from pictures. The 31141 looks twice as flat if that makes sense.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to our website. With that smaller flat point and the gas check you should be just fine out to 150 yards even if the muzzle velocity is as low as 1500 fps (it isn't with that load). I do my terminal ballistics test in soaked, horizontally stack phone books from 40 yards but in your case that is academic (it would be fun to know however). When I have done terminal 40 yard ballistics tests with round nose 160 gr 30 cal CB's at an MV of 1550, they tend to tumble after about 5" leaving a huge wound channel.

Boolit Grand Master
    If limited to those bullets, I'd give 'em a flat meplat or hollow point them.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    If limited to those bullets, I'd give 'em a flat meplat or hollow point them.
    Yep a few swipes with a file and their flat nosed
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cast.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	232007
    here's a picture

Boolit Master
    I would file a flat of about .2" or 5 mm depending on your measuring system. Won't make any siginifigant change to accuracy or poi, WILL make a big difference in killing effect. Place it well and it will kill!
    Last edited by rking22; 12-12-2018 at 09:03 PM. Reason: stoopid phone
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I would file a flat of about .2" or 5 mm depending on your measuring system. Won't make any siginifigant change to accuracy or poi, WILL make a big difference in killing effect. Place it well and it will kill!
    This^^^ The meplat on my 379-250gr Lee 38-55 boolits are .20 cal. Smaller will work but bigger is a better slap. File a few and try them.

Moderator Emeritus

When filing a bullet I find it is easier seated in a case. I mark the case on one side, file a few strokes, rotate 90 degrees and file the same number. You're after a surface as flat as possible.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, I used a file on 8 of them. I'll see how well I did in an accuracy test, then an expansion test on filed and unfiled bullet.

Boolit Master
    Speaking for myself, I am more concerned about failure modes than expansion. If you have a vice, place a bullet between the jaws tip to base. Now crank the handle and see what the bullet does. I want to see it squished like bubble gum rather than crushedand showing deep cracks and fracturing. The first, bubblegum bullet, will hold itself together if you hit a major bone and keep its mass. A hammer and rock will work too.
    The flat will do the work, expansion is good but not the last word. I like the 50:50cal and plain with some tin. Plug that into an alloy calculator and you wind up with equal..ish amounts of tin and antimony. This gives ductility generally preventing worst case failure. Others have different priorities and needs.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the information, They passed the vice test, so I'll move forward with them