WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Ruger No1 35 Whelen Twist Rates and Reduced Loads

Ruger No1 35 Whelen Twist Rates and Reduced Loads

The current Ruger No1s in 35 Whelen have a 1:12 twist, which seems like reasonable and versatile twist rate. Do older No1s have the same Twist? What are the throats like one these?

Has anybody worked with a No1 in Whelen with reduced loads in cast? I shoot longguns left handed, and have always lusted after one of these, and now one has made itself available in a caliber that to me can work well in cast with everything from deer to the large game depending on how it is loaded.

Specifically has anyone worked with reduced cast loads (not cat sneeze)? I am talking about reduced loads from lets say 357 Magnum to 35 Remington power levels appropriate for deer. I am aware of the H4895 reduced load rule. Is that accuracy ok with that much empty case? Has anybody tried pistol class powders?

I figure with such a rifle I'd have little trouble selling it if it doesn't deliver, but I am a bit apprehensive nonetheless.

Boolit Man
    maybe ... Ed Harris's " The Load"...

I guess that would serve for a 357 mag power level...13 grains of Red Dot, but I really seek to get in the 35 Rem zone with cast. This may be accomplished with a charge of H4895 in the thirties with a 200 grainer. Question is, what will accuracy be like?

Boolit Master

My REMINGTON 700 Classic is 1-12".

I've shot SAECO 180gc to LYMAN 250grainer's. Heavier bullets much more accurate. The 200gr makes a great plinker. I80gr kinda just spins off to...?......?

Sorry I just use H4895.

Ran out of SR4759, gonna try 5744.

Check out the old LYMAN Cast Bullet Handbook #2.
    They had lots of light loads in that edition. You can extrapolate from the .350 REM MAG.
    Last edited by Walks; 12-11-2018 at 10:36 PM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    I have used reduced loads of IMR4895 and enough Dacron to fill the case to the base of the bullet with a little bit of compression. Have gotten good accuracy in both the 9.3 x74 and the 8 x 57R. both will give under 1 in groups at 50 yards at over 2,000 feet per second. These make good reduce deer hunting loads. I believe the 35 Whelen would be very similar to the 9.3 by 74 in performance

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk