Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Boys first rifle

Boys first rifle

Hi guys, I am looking to get my eldest his first rifle for Christmas.

I want to get him a simple single shoot bolt action 22 to teach him the basic of shooting open sights.

The choices at my local gunshop in the bargain section are as follows:

Winchester Cooey 39
    Savage 3B
    Mossberg 25A
    Remington 33
    Winchester 320

I would be grateful if anyone could comment on any of the above, pros and cons

Which is the best of those?

Boolit Master
    My vote would be for the Savage 3B, only because I own one of the modern incarnations of this rifle and I've found it to be remarkably accurate.
    Really you can't go wrong with a Savage.

Boolit Buddy

Andy I can't comment on any of them. I would recommend that a first rifle be mounted on a wood stock and not plastic. Sights should be such that they are easy to hold a sight picture, my son stayed on sights and no scope for years. It's gotta look like what it is, a gun and not be a color that looks like a toy ie blue, pink etc... I prefer a bolt action over a single shot or your going to be buying another 22 rifle very soon, especially if your son really likes shooting. You never said how old he is, that'll make a difference in gun selection too. My son got his first at age 5, a Daisy bolt action 22. I got my granddaughter a Cricket bolt action at age 5 and it's what she shoots now at age 9. I guess my main point is get one that your son can grow with and will want to carry in the woods with him. My son is very comfortable shooting open sights and even now uses them for all plinking, he only uses a scope for shooting groups or for shooting longer ranges. In two years he'll be passing that inexpensive bolt action Daisy down to his own son, the gun will be 22 years old when he does. Good luck with your son's first gun, I'll never forget buying my son's first.
    Jeff

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Your in Oz, what about a Slazenger?
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Banned

My oldest son got a bolt action single shot from Wal Mart, I believe it was actually made in Canada for Saveg, good rifle and a good bit bigger than most youth rifles a lot of which are so tiny the kid outgrows it by age five.

Youngest got a Marlin 15Y which I actually like better. Interesting thing about this one is the safety goes from "on" to "off" by being pulled backwards rather than pushed forward which seemed to me like it was less likely to get pushed off by accident.

Any of the bolt action single shot youth models from reputable makers should be fine. I hesitated on a Winchester Model 67 someone had cut down for a kid that was priced right a while back because I don't have a small kid around anymore, wish I had bought it now, you never know when you may have an opportunity to teach a kid to shoot.

CZ Scout, a good iron-sighted 'youth gun' that actually has a semi-adult LOP. He won't outgrow it. I'm 6'3 and still shoot mine.

Comes with a single-shot adapter to start him off, then you can switch to a 5-rd magazine later.

He can learn on the irons first, but you can also scope it later.

My Scout, like all the CZ .22 line, is very accurate.

Boolit Master
    Of those, my vote would go to the Winchester 320. Good and accurate rifles in my experience.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

not a bolt action, but my oldest son's first rifle was a Henry H001 with metal sights. I replaced the front sight with a Hi Viz since he inherited his astigmatism from me.
    It's been a great one, and everyone loves shooting CCI CB shorts at swinging steel targets with it.

Boolit Master
    my first rifle was a Remington 514.

Boolit Master
    With those choices I would go with the Remington 33. Mine is very accurate and has execelent open sights with a nice slim walnut stock. It is a manual cocked bolt action. The only notation is that if you cock it and do not shoot it needs decocking. Depending on age/size and hand strength it could be an issue in the hunting fields. The cocking knob can be turned to "safe" the rifle, but with no visual indicator it is difficult for the mentor to be sure it has been rotated to safe. I hunt with mine and simply cock it to fire and decock if the shot dosen't develop. Love the little rifle and it was made in a time when open sights were actually used, so well designed. That is the only one of your choices I own, have shot the Winchester before, was ok but I felt the sights were lacking. Kudos to you for starting him out with irons, many people don't start with the fundamentals.

My 33 with some Tn grey squirrels
    Last edited by rking22; 12-11-2018 at 06:14 PM.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    That Remington 33 looks like a little Stevens model 15 I picked up this year. Fun gun to shoot and a box of ammo lasts all day.

Boolit Master
    I recently purchased a savage Rascal to teach my eight-year-old and 11-year-old grandson’s to shoot. They had a ball when I took it to them to the range on separate trips, and can’t wait to go back . I grabbed it and put about 20 or 30 rounds through it and it’s accurate. It has a peep sight in the rear and a post up front. I was being budget conscious and chose the plastic stock, and it came to about 150 bucks from Bud’s. Perfect size for kids.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    My first rifle was the Rem 581. Used it with my daughter and son. Gave it to a friend. It is now his grandson's, so three generations have used it.

My brother bought a Rem Nylon 66. He gave it to me about 10 years later. I had it for another 20 years. Extremely reliable even when it wasn't cleaned for years of use.

My most recent .22 was another Rem, the 597. It now belongs to my great niece (she is 8yo). Another accurate rifle, although not as reliable as the old 66.

Banned
    I would recommend a nice wood stocked rifle from CZ USA. VERY nice rifles, the following is loyal for many reasons. You can swap calibers and barrels out on them now, and well that's an interesting thing to be able to do.

wood stock, as close to military mauser fantastic and IRON sights.