Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iron sights

Boolit Master
    It is virtually guaranteed that no matter what sights the factory installed, some customers wouldn't know or care, they'd take the rifle home and be happy. Others would complain about and promptly replace those 'garbage factory sights' (blame the GunWriters for this) no matter what they were.
    It is what it is and in some ways it's better than it ever was. Affordable scopes and sights are out there, pick whatever you like and be happy.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I just noticed that I only have one rifle that has both irons and a scope. My Marlin 30-30.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

There are plenty of guns out there with Iron sights. Both My Ruger Scout rifle and Guide gun have irons. Pretty much all Lever guns come with sights. Most large caliber Bolt guns come with irons.

Used to be back in the day when optics weren't as reliable as they are now you almost had to have Irons as backups. Most AR type carbines have what are known as BUIS. "Back Up Iron Sights" simply because if you break your optic on the battle field you're screwed without back up irons that are mounted and sighted in. Pretty much all Battle Rifles have irons as they are more resistant to abuse than optics are.

As far as where to get them look at Brownell's as they have lots of variations. NEGC also makes some nice sights. Depending on what you choose you will probably have to have a gunsmith mount them for you.

I personally won't own a gun without iron sights regardless of whether or not it also has an optic. I currently only have one rifle without Irons and that is my Fight Lite SCR Carbine. The reason it doesn't have iron sights is because I haven't made them for it yet.

Even some of my shotguns have iron sights because they are Tactical Shotguns and are called on to shoot slugs accurately. .73 caliber rifles!

Here's a pic of my #4 Mk1 Enfield with a Redfield Olympic mounted.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12