Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV repairs

Boolit Grand Master

TV repairs

Any TV repair guys here???
    We have a Panasonic Viera TV.
    Got it in 2010.
    Problem is every once in a while, the voice is garbled.
    It sounds muffled, with an echo.
    Last around 10 to 15 minutes, and will go back to normal.
    If we turn off the TV, and turn it back on again, it will go back to normal.
    This is and older model, so no self diagnostic feature.
    We just had to change to digital with Rectum cable.
    Was fine before.
    We had the cable guy come and check it.
    He repaired a cable, but said it's probably the TV, because it only happens to one of the TV's we have.
    Other than that, it works fine.
    I would think a TV would last longer than 8 years.
    One we had before it lasted over 15 years.

Have a DVR/cable box? Call C.S. or just power off the cable box 1 min, restart. Digital timing drift. Home electronics aren't what they used to be. Most of the LED TVs are just a computer, LED screen. Cable boxes are even lower quality.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Poor cable connections can cause wwhat you described. Just hooked up a sound bar for my mom that did that occasionally, replaced the audio cable and it has worked fine.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Buddy
    Agree the connection from box to tv is most likely. Could still be TV, box, or outlet (wiring) though.
    I'd try another cable from STB to TV first.
    To eliminate STB as the issue, swap with another one in the house. Make sure you get the coax fittings torqued back to 20 lbs (just barely too tight to remove with your fingers). If issue follows the box, it's the box. If it doesn't, put a different tv there for awhile. If issue persists on the different tv and box, there's a problem with the outlet. (Possible, since he "fixed" a cable. Lots of cable guys will "fix" cable that should be replaced.)
    If we have a betting pool going, I'll take "cable from box to tv".

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks
    Cable guy changed the screw-in part of the cable.
    He said it was old and bad.
    Didn't solve the problem.
    I have changed the HDML cable between the box and TV.
    Same problem
    Then I changed the box.
    Same problem.
    Then the guy changed the cable connector.
    Still have the same problem
    Probably the TV.
    I checked on-line, and these did have a problem with the sound.
    Speakers or main board.
    TV repair guy I talked to said probably the board.
    Old stuff just going bad.
    Had to change the ice box, waiting for a new stove to come on Thursday, now the TV.
    It's been a bad year.
    Hope next year is better.

Boolit Buddy
    Do you have that sound issue when watching a DVD or other devices connected to that tv? If not, it could be HDMI compatibility issue between tv and box. Certainly wouldn't be a problem with your tv. Try switching to component cables. If you don't have any of those laying around you could try RCA cables. (Folks are more likely to have extras of these laying around. They can't give you HD picture. They're sufficient for this troubleshooting step, though.) If the problem goes away with RCA cables, then it's worth buying a set of component cables. Cheaper than a new TV. This wouldn't be the first HDMI incompatibility issue I've heard of. These issues are common enough to be worth the hassle of this troubleshooting.

Banned
    If the problem occurs with only that one TV that suggests the problem rests with the TV itself.
    You could try moving the TV to another location ( different cable box, component cables, etc. ) and see if the problem follows the TV, if it does then you'll have your answer.

Almost nobody repairs TV's these days. If the problem is more than you can tolerate you're choice will likely be replacement of the TV. The old one will make a nice glorified monitor or could be a spare TV in another room until the problem becomes unbearable.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money trying to fix this issue because in the end you'll just have a collection of HDMI and other cables and still have a broken TV.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    If the problem occurs with only that one TV that suggests the problem rests with the TV itself.
    You could try moving the TV to another location ( different cable box, component cables, etc. ) and see if the problem follows the TV, if it does then you'll have your answer.
    Not necessarily. As stated, HDMI compatibility issues are common enough to be worth troubleshooting as a possibility. If that's the problem, the issue would follow the tv to another (same model) STB. Component doesn't suffer from compatibility issues. That's why it's worth trying. Especially if the issue is not present with other connected devices. The fact that the issue was not present prior to the upgrade, lends even more weight to the theory. His sound board and speakers didn't change. The delivery method did. He doesn't need to buy a bunch of cables to do this troubleshooting. Probably already has RCA or component cables attached to a vcr, DVD player, or other devices, that can be borrowed.

Not much to fix in them anymore. Everyone just replaces boards. If you can determine which board it is located the part number and "google" it.
    You will more than likely find a cost effective replacement. I fixed a TV that hit by lightning this way. Cost me $35 for a replacemet board from a used unit that had a broken display. E-Bay is your friend.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Thanks
    Cable guy changed the screw-in part of the cable.
    He said it was old and bad.
    Didn't solve the problem.
    I have changed the HDML cable between the box and TV.
    Same problem
    Then I changed the box.
    Same problem.
    Then the guy changed the cable connector.
    Still have the same problem
    Probably the TV.
    I checked on-line, and these did have a problem with the sound.
    Speakers or main board.
    TV repair guy I talked to said probably the board.
    Old stuff just going bad.
    Had to change the ice box, waiting for a new stove to come on Thursday, now the TV.
    It's been a bad year.
    Hope next year is better.
    Coulda had a volcano.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    Not necessarily. As stated, HDMI compatibility issues are common enough to be worth troubleshooting as a possibility. If that's the problem, the issue would follow the tv to another (same model) STB. Component doesn't suffer from compatibility issues. That's why it's worth trying. Especially if the issue is not present with other connected devices. The fact that the issue was not present prior to the upgrade, lends even more weight to the theory. His sound board and speakers didn't change. The delivery method did. He doesn't need to buy a bunch of cables to do this troubleshooting. Probably already has RCA or component cables attached to a vcr, DVD player, or other devices, that can be borrowed.

I would agree with that if the problem wasn't intermittent. However the garbled audio that only lasts 10-15 minutes and then returns to normal hints at a TV problem and not a source problem. And the fact that it's only one TV in the house fed by the same cable source also hints that the source is OK.
    The fact that it just appeared along with upgrade in service may just be a coincidence.
    If you move the TV (like to another HOUSE) and the problem follows the TV, the problem lies with the TV.

So, before buying HDMI cables and other external components, why not just move the TV (for free) and see if the problem follows the TV?

Boolit Master
    If your TV is stereo, it could be one channel dropping out and in. It will sound dim and echo.

Moderator Emeritus

8 years is the average life for a TV.. you got your monies worth! And the new flat screens have MUCH better resolution... with Christmas deals going on I would upgrade.

If it was in my shop you would have a minimum $50 charge in advance(costs me $20 to get rid of a dead TV when customers abandon them, other $30 cover my time troubleshooting) plus parts... figure $100+ and a new TV is Under $300 for the smaller screens, I saw a 55" at Walmart of $399...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    8 years is the average life for a TV..
    If it was in my shop you would have a minimum $50 charge in advance(costs me $20 to get rid of a dead TV when customers abandon them, other $30 cover my time troubleshooting) plus parts... figure $100+ and a new TV is Under $300 for the smaller screens, I saw a 55" at Walmart of $399...
    The average appliance is 7-8yrs as well. Ii you can't fix it yourself it's cheaper to buy new.
    Can't even find a TV repair person around these parts if you do $100 might get them to look at it. Then they are going to tell you it need $200-$300 in parts & install, most just tell you to buy a new TV.

Banned
    Sounds like a capacitor gone or going bad to me. The sound amp in those things are pretty cheap. Do you ever hear a high pitch squeal ...not through the speakers but coming from inside the TV? If so it is definitely a bad cap. If there is any way to bypass the sound and run it through some other amp, that would solve the problem (if indeed it is a bad sound board) Try tapping into the rca jacks for sound instead of the hdmi cable...

Boolit Grand Master
    It's not connected to anything else.
    just the cable box and TV.
    I was going to try and hook it up to the stereo, but to many things to turn on.
    It's the TV in the living room.
    Mom watches it so it would be hard fro her to remember to turn on the stereo.
    Went to walmart today. 40" going for around $200.
    Probably just buy a new one.
    It's sad that things these days last only 7 years.
    Our old tube TV lasted over 15 years.
    Ice box lasted over 17 years.
    Stove lasted almost 20 years.
    They just don't make things to last anymore.
    I rather have old stuff. Car is a 1990 and truck is 1999.

Banned
    It's called planned obsolescence. They perfected the concept with personal computers. The one that get's me is cars. The new cars are created to be obsolete in 7 years or so. I am still driving my 1999 Civic that I bought new. I contend that it is better than the brand new ones.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I would agree with that if the problem wasn't intermittent. However the garbled audio that only lasts 10-15 minutes and then returns to normal hints at a TV problem and not a source problem. And the fact that it's only one TV in the house fed by the same cable source also hints that the source is OK.
    The fact that it just appeared along with upgrade in service may just be a coincidence.
    If you move the TV (like to another HOUSE) and the problem follows the TV, the problem lies with the TV.

So, before buying HDMI cables and other external components, why not just move the TV (for free) and see if the problem follows the TV?
    Not saying it can't be the TV. Just that it's worth troubleshooting. Worked as a cable guy and satellite installer for several years. Including charter, which is now spectrum. I've pretty much seen it all, as far as TV setups go. Replaced many an HDMI cable with component cables due to issues like this. Yes, they can be intermittent.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    Not saying it can't be the TV. Just that it's worth troubleshooting. Worked as a cable guy and satellite installer for several years. Including charter, which is now spectrum. I've pretty much seen it all, as far as TV setups go. Replaced many an HDMI cable with component cables due to issues like this. Yes, they can be intermittent.

Not saying you're wrong. I am saying it would be cheaper to start the diagnosis by moving the TV first before buying a HDMI cable or other external components.

Boolit Master
    About all TVs that use an HDMI cable are in stereo. Your TV has left and right speakers. If you go into the TV's program you'll see the balance adjustment. That's what I meant by stereo. I also should have said channel as in Left or Right not channel 4 or 12.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast