Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationPBcastcoLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TV repairs

Moderator Emeritus

I am in concert with Traffer's post (#15). We had SAME problem with a Samsung t.v., not all that old. For the first several minutes, too, sound was AOK... then, garbled. To be OCD, I plugged a DVD player in it's input, so there was no way there'd be a "cable" possibility as the culprit. Problem stayed the same . Step 3 was to take Audio Out of television, and plug those, using standard phono cables, into the stereo. Not only was the problem solved, but the sound has appeared to be awesomely better than just from the wee television's speakers. The big down-fall is now needing/using two remotes -- the second just for the sound; and, perhaps the extra pennies in electricity usage with the second device going as well... BUT, cheaper than a replacement television.
    geo

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I'm using a 20-year-old Sylvania tabletop model with a digital converter and Sony DVD player patched in through a diplexer. We don't have cable or satellite, but use the old Channel-Master antenna and rotor up on the roof. We get as many channels as we want to watch, PBS, H&I, Grit, Escape, Laff, local news, weather and ION.

We don't get NBC, Fox, ABC or CBS out here in the sticks, but I don't miss them. Get great AM and FM radio reception up here on the mountain with outdoor antenna for the Sangean WR3. Plus accumulated a good collection of over 1000 quality DVDs since I retired, paid for with the money I saved not paying $100/month for Comcast, Direct TV or any of that nonsense.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

have to agree. there pretty much throw aways today. Ours was getting tired and had lines in the picture and two years ago at a Walmart chirstmas sale they had 55 inch Philips hd tvs for 300 bucks. In 1970s money when you called a tv repair man that would have been like buying a tv 5 times bigger then what was available for 60 bucks. I was skeptical at that price level but ive had a number of people comment on how good of a picture it has. Sound was a bit tinny but I already had a surround sound system anyway so don't use the tv speakers. Bottom line is I paid about what a 12 inch black and white tv was worth in the 70s.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    8 years is the average life for a TV.. you got your monies worth! And the new flat screens have MUCH better resolution... with Christmas deals going on I would upgrade.

If it was in my shop you would have a minimum $50 charge in advance(costs me $20 to get rid of a dead TV when customers abandon them, other $30 cover my time troubleshooting) plus parts... figure $100+ and a new TV is Under $300 for the smaller screens, I saw a 55" at Walmart of $399...

Boolit Master
    I have a 19" and a 25" RCA CRT set. Those TVs are now obsolete because they don't have digital tuners. The 19" was bought in 1987and it cost me nearly two works earnings IIRC. Who knows how long they could have lasted. Back then TVs weren't built to need replacement every few years.

Any decent laborer couldn't earn a living repairing most electronics these days if they charged a living hourly rate. For the cost of a couple hours labor you can find a new set to replace the broken one.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Kind of sad how we've become a throw away society.
    We seem to not care about quality, only price.
    I wonder how many repair professions / craftsman have been lost.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I live in an odd area. There are two TV repair shops and they’re always packed w/ ones waiting to be repaired. I sort of get replacing the cheap ones. But people do spend thousands on TVs. So repairing is still the best option. There are still people out there making money repairing TVs.

Moderator Emeritus

I now limit repairs to high end flat screens. No I won't fix your 20" monitor for $20! Go buy a new one for $80! I don't actively advertise, just word of mouth. Being retired I don't want a bunch of work!

Banned

Yup I could sure see paying a repair man to fix a tv that cost 2 grand but then if a tv cost much more then 500 dollars it isn't coming home with me. Personaly my eyes don't see the difference in a 2000 dollar tv compared to a 600 dollar unit. Its like blue ray players. Ive looked at the same movie played on the same blue ray capable player using both blue ray and standard cds and I couldn't tell a bit of difference. But then I guess I could say I shot the same 308 bullet out of a savage axis and out my Kimber and couldn't tell the difference but still own a Kimber. I guess it worth it if your into it.

Vendor Sponsor

I agree with Traffer. You can pull the back off and look at the circuitry near the audio jacks, you will see a few things that all audio processors have in common, regulators, op amps, and capacitors. If you look at the end of the cap and it is rounded or bulged at all, it is a bad cap which could intermittently garble the signal then it's fine on the next boot. Somtimes you can take a plastic probe and press on components while the set is running and hear loud static, you have found a loose solder joint. Heat and age cause issues like this and they can be easy to fix if you can get to the circuit board and reflow all the solder joints, or you can clip the caps off above the board and leave the legs soldered in, solder new caps to the legs (if the legs are soldered to the board in barrels, you will NEVER get these out and back in without risking burning the whole board up) or if they are just wav soldered on the bottom, they are easy enough to get out. If you want to keep the dinosaur, this is what will need to be done.

Honestly, My new 43" Samsung HDTV was $422 at Best Buy earlier this year, same tv is $100 cheaper now, I would put the old one out to pasture and get a new one the imagery and picture quality is fantastic!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Vendor Sponsor

Now.. A word about capacitors.

Some years back, a major cap manufacturer had an inside "theft" of the formula for it's electrolyte solution, this stolen formula was then sold to several major cap makers, and millions of caps were produced with the stolen electrolyte formula. All the major PC makers used them. Abit, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Dell, Gateway, all of them used the cheaper knock off caps.

FF 2yrs. Caps began bulging and failing by the hundreds of thousands. Warranty repairs began to choke the manufacturers. Computers began dying by the thousands. True story. We are talking late 1990s early 2000s time frame.

Why? The "formula" that was leaked/stolen was flawed, it was taken at a point in the process that was not the final version. I had an Abit BX6 motherboard that was horrendously unstable, replacing bulged caps totally fixed it and it was one of the most stable Pentium machines I owned.

I recently bought a Dell at a church yard sale for $10, popped it open and saw 3 bulged caps. Ebayed some new high quality caps, cut the old ones off, soldered the new ones to the old legs sticking up and it is off and running it's behootie off, very stable, very good investment for $10 and $10 worth of caps.

I loaded Linux Mint 19 on it, it is going to a friend who is marooned on the Windows 7 island and has no way off. He will not run windows 10, and I am glad, I do his business machines and his network for 20+yrs and he would drive me up the wall with support for windows.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Got 20$ for a Samsung 55" that wouldn't work right. Wasn' the model that had bad caps. These are just computers now and it they get out of sync they don't work right. This one couldn't get the back light refresh to work right. Probably could have sold the boards on ebay but then somebody else has the problem. Funny part is when you look at the schem. they are signed by some really weird names and who knows who built or designed them. Some of the parts must have been in inventory for 20 yrs.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Replacement is a real option. I understand about using a stereo introducing another remote. Our HDTV has no audio out so to get 5.1 stereo I have to switch HDMI through the receiver. That means controlling the tv and volume with two remotes.

To hear the complaints you would think it was the end of the world.

I noticed one remote was programmable so I programmed it to switch inputs and control volume. Problem solved.

Now they use both remotes anyway.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Yup I could sure see paying a repair man to fix a tv that cost 2 grand but then if a tv cost much more then 500 dollars it isn't coming home with me. Personaly my eyes don't see the difference in a 2000 dollar tv compared to a 600 dollar unit. Its like blue ray players. Ive looked at the same movie played on the same blue ray capable player using both blue ray and standard cds and I couldn't tell a bit of difference. But then I guess I could say I shot the same 308 bullet out of a savage axis and out my Kimber and couldn't tell the difference but still own a Kimber. I guess it worth it if your into it.
    I can easily see the difference... much better resolution! I went 4k Ultra and that blows away BluRay 1080p

Moderator Emeritus

LOL I have 3 remotes! TV, Stereo, and DirecTV receiver...

Yes capacitors are a major failure point. My older Visio that I replaced 2 years ago the back light capacitors failed twice from heat. I am one who has a TV running a lot... 8+ hours a day as background noise most of the time...

Banned

you sure don't have to spend 2k for a 4k ultra tv. Like any other new fangled deal they were expensive for the first couple years they were THE technology. Now 3-500 bucks will buy one at Walmart. Lots of networks don't even put out a 1080 signal yet. The only advantage to 4k would be watch a disc on a proper player. I cant comment on what they look like because I haven't ever watched one. If the difference is comparable to blueray vs standard discs I sure am not going to spend money till the blueray player dies. That will probably be a good long time. Movie rental places around her have about all dried up and the only discs I watch are from my son. He buys a movie about once a month and shares it with us. Get most of my movies on netflicks now. For the price of two rental I can watch movies every night of the month.
    I can easily see the difference... much better resolution! I went 4k Ultra and that blows away BluRay 1080p

Moderator Emeritus

you sure don't have to spend 2k for a 4k ultra tv. Like any other new fangled deal they were expensive for the first couple years they were THE technology. Now 3-500 bucks will buy one at Walmart. Lots of networks don't even put out a 1080 signal yet. The only advantage to 4k would be watch a disc on a proper player. I cant comment on what they look like because I haven't ever watched one. If the difference is comparable to blueray vs standard discs I sure am not going to spend money till the blueray player dies. That will probably be a good long time. Movie rental places around her have about all dried up and the only discs I watch are from my son. He buys a movie about once a month and shares it with us. Get most of my movies on netflicks now. For the price of two rental I can watch movies every night of the month.
    Actually they up convert standard definition to at least 1080p, and 1080p to 4k... and MOST stations are now 1080p since they went digital. I have a 4k DVD to go with, it is like a movie theater with crystal clear sharp picture.

Banned

Maybe my old eyes are just getting tired but I just don't see it. Now when watching tv (dish) there are some channels that aren't hd and theres a big difference between them and the standard channels. If mine is suppose to upgrade that signal to 1080 it does a poor job of it. I guess its like ar15s. A 600 dollar one will do anything a 1200 dollar one will do and shot in many cases just as accurate. But if you are one of the 1 percent that can really tell the difference then the 1200 bucks is worth it to you. Im more of the 600 dollar type. At 400 dollar tv and a 100 dollar dvd player work find for my eyes. What to me lacks more in the cheap tvs then picture quality is sound quality. My ears are old and tired and I have to crank up the volume and about need a sound bar to keep the sound clean at those levels. Im sure a 2000 dollar tv would have a better and bigger amp and better speakers.

Boolit Master

Whether a person sees an improvement of 4K over 1080p is dependent on how close they set to the TV. I have 4K TV, 4K Blu-ray player and 4K movies. There is no difference over plain old Blu-ray unless you sit fairly close to the TV. Most people don't sit close enough to the screen to see a benefit.

There are very few 4K TV channels so the need for a 4K TV for a plain old TV watcher is just not there.

There is a very noticeable improvement of Blu-ray over DVD at any distance from the TV. DVDs are terrible, even when upscaled.

Banned

ok some real world experience here. Three nights ago I turned the tv on and saw lines all over the screen and could smell burnt wires. Went to Walmart then next day (I know chew me out) to buy a new set. Looked all over the net for reviews on 4k tvs (cheaper ones) and hisense seemed to have the best ratings. So I bought a 55 in smart hisense roko tv. Paid right at 400 bucks out the door for it.

Does it have a better picture then my old hd tv. Maybe but its sure not night and day. My buddy I do crop damage shooting with is a tv junky like mary. He went out and bought a new qled tv because there so much better then his oled unit and gave the old one to his daughter. He paid 3k for that tv! He happened to stop over right after my wife got the tv new one set up. I would probably still be fooling with it. When he walked in and looked at it he said its about time I bought a good expensive tv that had a good picture. When I told him what it was and what I paid he shook his head. He said at least on normal tv and netflicks it had as good of a picture as his 2k set.

Now like I said if I put the old hd set next to the new one im sure id see a bit of a difference in the picture and im sure if he put his fancy 2k tv next to mine it might have a slightly better picture too. But not 5 times the difference that he paid for his. 4k? what do I think. Not much. there isn't squat for 4k programing on dish. When we logged into net flicks with the new set it must have sensed we had a 4k tv because it offered a upgrade to 4k. told the wife what the heck we have it and what the heck is 3 bucks more a month to take advantage. Well she did it and I got looking around on netflicks and found out theres only about 30 shows on there that are 4k and none of them were any interest to me. So she got back on line and canceled it.

Ive got a perfectly good blue ray player and the only disc movies we watch are ones my son buys. he collects movies and has quite a pile of them. He only has a blue ray too and doesn't buy movies because there 4k so im not spending any money to improve on the blue ray that already does hd and looks just fine to me. What I do like is this tv came with roko. Theres enough free stuff on roko that if I would have known about it I would have paid the one time 30 bucks for roko on a tv that didn't come with it. To be honest right now I could live with an antenna for local tv and netflicks and roko. But my son is learning disabled and has an apartment out back and most of his day is watching tv and lots of the shows he watches we need dish service for.

Now to spend 2k on a tv seems a bit ridiculous to me. Tvs are mostly throw aways and don't last more then 10 years and many don't make 5. My last one made 3. Now maybe an expensive set would last longer but like I said I could buy 5 of these for the price of one qled set and id have to guess the 5 cheap ones would outlast one expensive one by a good amount. I guess I look at it like this. I got a new tv with a great picture and with the difference between it and one of those high dollar units I could buy two nice new guns. the guns will be around when my great grandkids are at the range. the tv will have been in a landfill for many years before that.

Another thing is there about obsolete if you want the best every two years. 3 years ago when I bought my last one you couldn't touch a 4k tv for under a grand and today you can find 55 inch 4k tvs for under 300 bucks. Kind of like cell phones. 5 years from now qled tvs will cost 300 bucks and some mystical new and improved one will be the one to have. I still remember when to be cool you had to have a projector tv and today there dinosaurs. Remember when to be cool you just had to have a flip phone. Then the smart phone came out and only old fuddy duddys use flip phones. Well i guess im still an old fuddy duddy because i still use mine. Its 10 years old and still works just fine. If you feel your 4k tv is amazing then why would you feel the need to step up to a oled or qled?? How amazing do you need. For 2k to me it better be able to butcher deer for me too or fly me to the farm!!! if I had my old hd tv back working and 30 bucks for a roko thing a magiggy id be happy.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-03-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Boolit Master

I still remember when to be cool you had to have a projector tv and today there dinosaurs.
    What kind of projector are you thinking of? I just got a BenQ DLP projector last year. I project a 10 foot 1080P image and the experience blows away any TV out there. The cost of the projector and screen were about $900. If someone likes movies and has the room, that is the way to go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast