RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: My Wetherby XXII Tubular feed is not firing.

Banned

My Wetherby XXII Tubular feed is not firing.

Took my Weatherby XXII tubular feed .22 to range today and fired 10 or 12 shots fine. Then quit firing, cases dimpled lightly but not fired. Thinking my firing pin broke. Any ideas. Thanks donald duck
    I cleaned it with motor degreaser, but thinking I should have used Brakeclean. I will get to range this week and see if it works and fires better. I was told that to ship my grandson in Afghanistsan a lot of WD40. Maybe Brakeclean would be better. Comments still appreciated. Thanks fellows!!
    Last edited by donald duck; 12-17-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donald duck View Post
    Took my Weatherby XXII tubular feed .22 to range today and fired 10 or 12 shots fine. Then quit firing, cases dimpled lightly but not fired. Thinking my firing pin broke. Any ideas. Thanks donald duck
    Strip the bolt and clean it. 22s get nasty after a few thousand rounds. You'll spot the broken fp(if it is). Those are classy rifles!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I had one of those years ago and wish I still had it.
    I needed to clean mine every so often or it would get light strikes just as you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by donald duck View Post
    A couple of posts on RFC mentions that carbon build up can interfere with the firing mechanism of [tube fed] Weatherby's:

Post #47:

"...They like most semi-autos like to be kept squeaky clean or they won't fire. Pay special attention to the inside of the receiver just above the barrel. Carbon buildup will prevent the pin from making a strong consistent hit. The carbon is pounded into the shape of the receiver and nearly undetectable to the eye. I found it by chance to correct the FTF condition. Very quiet, smooth and accurate rifle."

Post #57:

"...I had a hard time with FTF's until I found the fouling that was keeping the bolt slightly open...."

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...=269058&page=4

I didn't read past page 4, but would be interested to learn which model & maker that you have.
    Here's the list of serial #'s and their makers from Page 1, Post #4 of the same thread:

1964 1971 Beretta-Italy Clip 01000-43352

1967 1971 KTG-Japan Clip J25000-J42290

1972 1980 Nikko-Japan Clip N45000-N63056

1973 1980 Nikko-Japan Tubular T00003-T22506

1981 1982 Mossberg-USA Clip AC01000-AC01670

1981 1982 Mossberg-USA Tubular AT01000-AT01640

1984 1988 Howa-Japan Clip JC10000-JC13250

1984 1988 Howa-Japan Tubular JT50000-JT54874