RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: 38 Special 310 Dies Sizing Questions

Boolit Master

38 Special 310 Dies Sizing Questions

I have recently purchased a 38 Special revolver and have a 310 tool for my 270 Win. I know that the 310 tool does not full length size rifle brass, but how about straight wall pistol brass? Or do they just resize the case mouth? Will I have to resize the brass on a press before using the 310 tool for best results? Appreciate any help.

Kyle

I reload 38 Special with 310 dies on my Lyman Tru Line Jr turret press. As far as I can tell it does size nearly full length for straight wall cases. In the turret press it is a pretty simple operation. Don't forget to lube before sizing. Have fun.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

The sizing die for the 310 tool, only sizes the mouth. The hand press does not have the leverage to full length resize even the 38 Special.

The first Tru-Line Jr, with simple leverage also came with the muzzle resizing die in 38 Special. When the second model came along, with compound linkage, a full length resizing die for the pistol calibers was added.

As to the original question, if you are loading for just one 38 Special pistol, a muzzle resizing die will work well. However, if you might use the round in some other handgun, you will want to full length resize the case. This can be done on a bench press and the the rest of the staged done with the 310 tool.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^^

Periodically someone comes on the forum with a variation on this same question/topic. The answer of course is that the tong tools don't have the leverage to push the shell into a full length sizing die, but more importantly, if you somehow get one in, you'll have the Devil's own time opening the handles to get it out!! I would expect to see broken handles at some time (probably sooner rather than later) if I could put that kind of pressure on them. The good news is that if you shoot your 38s in the same revolver, neck sizing will probably be enough, and the brass will probably last longer.

As friend Char-Gar says, if you need full length sizing, you can do that separately, either with one of the push-through sizing dies Lyman/Ideal used to provide for the purpose and which still show up on flea-Bay, or by "cheating" and doing your decapping and FL sizing on a "big" press, then finishing up on the tong tool.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. This is what I thought. I can full length size brass and decap on the single stage as I don't have a conversion for the 550 anyway. I just like sitting on the couch sometimes doing my thing with the 310 tool and listening to the lady of the house.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Thanks guys. This is what I thought. I can full length size brass and decap on the single stage as I don't have a conversion for the 550 anyway. I just like sitting on the couch sometimes doing my thing with the 310 tool and listening to the lady of the house.
    That definitely works for the repriming stage, then you can also bell case mouths at the same chair. I like a workbench or table when I’m adding the powder (preferably to cases in a tray.). Then after I use a strong light to check powder levels in all cases, I can seat bullets and crimp using the DA chamber of my 310 tool. I guess that once I had my brass FL sized and deprimed, I could set up a TV stand and do all the rest of the steps from my easy chair. I’ve seen it called “kitchen table reloading” and that works, but I’ve also done these processes in the living room and even in a hotel room in Warsaw, Indiana!

Froggie

When using the 310 priming die, which I do allot, remember it only has a grip on about half of the case rim and there is some slop in the die. When you have inset the primer, give the case a half turn and another nudge to make certain the primer is seated well on both sides.

I might also note that when Lyman speced the FL Tru-Line Jr. handgun dies they made them to FL size as little as possible to come down to where they will fit in any handgun. This is a good think as this promotes long case life and a good fit in revolver charge holes. I use such a die, with an adapter in my bench press.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    The Lee Hand Press will let you get away from the bench, but you will need standard dies for it'
    When I was looking for a portable method of reloading the Lyman Tong Tool and dies just seemed so expensive . I bought the hand press and have been so pleased with it I bought a second... I find so many uses for them .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    gwpercle, on a purely logical and utilitarian basis, I have to admit you have a point. Further, Lyman seems to be giving less and less emphasis to the 310 while raising the prices on what is left. Back in the day, the 310 was a handy and economical option for the casual reloader. With the gear we now consider "normal" either unavailable or relatively expensive.

If you are able to track down any of the classic 310 gear on auction sites, at gun shows, etc, you can still set up pretty economically to load common calibers, or you might be able to find a set of dies for some obscure round that you just need to load on a limited basis and set up to do so with a dedicated kit. I've got progressive, turret and single stage presses as well as a couple of little TL Jrs, and a HDS Compac, but I still like to load with the 310 tools every now and again. I guess it just brings back that memory of a slower, more casual kind of loading and shooting.

Froggie

Agreed, for the most part.

A few years back (~4)when I got my 310 for 38/357 they were pretty cheap seems like something has caught on in the last year or so and even the super common 38/357 sets are getting up there in price. The lee hand press I have is nice but its easily 2x the size of the 310 set up and can be more of a knuckle buster. I can fit everything for the 310 in a small 5 or 6 cell plano tackle case + the tongs. I think the 310 is not as awkward to use esp for priming. Somewhere I would have thought somebody would have made a little desk mount for the lee hand press to convert it to static use by now. They each have their niche but I think the lyman is more versitle if you are loading for one specific gun or set of guns (I use my 310 to load most of my ammo for the 77/357 and GP100 set up)
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Grand Master
    Somebody could get everything they need to load 38 Specials with a tong tool with this package from fleaBay;

[url] No ebay links, please

Not my circus, not my monkeys, but I throw this out to show what COULD be done. Note it's a #3 tong and has an old round nose bullet mould as well as the push through FL resizer. This is truly old school!

Froggie
    Last edited by Pressman; 12-23-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    That is a cool set Froggy! I have a set of Large handles, need to get a set of small ones and the dies. Im keeping a keen eye on fleabay as well. Id like steel, but alloy ones im sure would be just fine. Prices seem reasonable, but I bet they are better after xmas.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are willing to settle for aluminum handles, your overall price will be about half (on average.) Sometimes a steel handle set kinda sneaks through though, so keep your eyes open. As far as prices before and after Christmas, it used to be that people got kinda lazy at Christmas and you could sneak in and get some bargains during the holidays... it seems like now you still get the same ebb and flow of prices year round. You just have to keep searching regularly for a bargain (or at least a bearable price.) Send me a text if you get tired of looking... I could probably put together a set for you if you want a working set but don't need a box, etc.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I appreciate that Froggy! Let me look just a little more.

Boolit Master

I'm pretty sure I am preaching to the choir, but I have dealt with Rick Morrill of the 310 Shop many times and he is an excellent source for info and special tools needed with the 310 tool. He made me several tools for my needs, mostly seating tools for special bullets. Very helpful to me. Not trying to push any business his way, just trying to provide a source of information.

Rick Morrill
    4237 Boxwood Drive
    Denton, Texas 76208
    940-271-1222
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, I have dealt with Rick, and one advantage his operation provides is the option of having dies for otherwise unavailable calibers custom made. This service was available from Lyman way back in the day, but no more! Of course an time you go custom, the price goes up accordingly, but it’s nice to have the option.

For me ,it’s been my goal to get caliber specific steel handles and proper dies for the calibers I load most often then an assortment of dies to be able to cobble together loads for do all stuff that comes along needing to be loaded. I sought out and purchased large and small steel handles, not because they are absolutely necessary, but because I just thought I’d like to have them... I just kept up a casual search at gun shows until they turned up at reasonable prices. Now, as I begin to load a significant number of any “Classic” caliber, I try to find the aforementioned steel handles and proper die set... fortunately for my wallet, I don’t start up with a new caliber all that often! Add to this a couple of TruLine Jr presses (and a Red Head) for when I want to go to the bench with these dies and that’s my small die regimen.

Froggie