Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Switch barrel Ruger no 1?

Boolit Master

Switch barrel Ruger no 1?

Anyone know anyone who can make a switch barrrel Ruget No 1. Thanks

Moderator Emeritus

That is a real cool idea. I like the idea of a single kit for taking to Africa with a 358 Norma (of course), a 458 Lott, and a 260 Remington or 25-06. I'm betting that there is some technical difficulty with doing that as I've never seen a switch barrel #1 though.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

I've always wondered if one couldn't use something like the Savage system with a barrel nut, and extended (a little, covered by the nut) threads. Maybe a set screw, and a headspace plug- just screw the barrel in with the headspacer in place against the breech, get the sights on top (should happen automatically when headspaced correctly), set the set screw, and then tighten the barrel nut. Should be torqued correctly, so a special wrench might be needed (though Savage doesn't have such a thing/ requirement). The nut could be on a separate thread that was 1.2" diameter OD or whatever would turn out to look good so that breech end barrel diameters could be "normal."
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Buddy
    I'd ask this over on the Ruger #1 Yahoo forum; also there is or was a video out there of a gunsmith (in New England, perhaps?) that showed a takedown conversion--would probably make into a switch-barrel setup. Mark Penrod, maybe?