Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which powder gets hard to find? How long does it keep?

Banned
    I experienced no drought anymore than I had any problem finding 22 rimfires. At the height of the 22 RF panic I bought 5000 rounds for 5 cents a round.

While both Unique and 2400 are fine powders, if they went away tomorrow nobody would have to melt down their guns to make swords.

"When in worry or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout,"

Prep away, you might get to survive a few more months.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CM View Post
    I experienced no drought anymore than I had any problem finding 22 rimfires. At the height of the 22 RF panic I bought 5000 rounds for 5 cents a round.

While both Unique and 2400 are fine powders, if they went away tomorrow nobody would have to melt down their guns to make swords.

Your experience seems to be completely opposite of what everyone else experienced.

In regards to .22 shells, I didn't see any for sale locally for three years.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CM View Post

I'd ask what Shangri-La you live in where .22 ammo and gunpowder flowed and didn't in the reddest of red states; but my kids say don't feed trolls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Everyone everywhere I corresponded with or talked to experienced the shortage. Saying you did not experience an ammo drought means you stocked up, but the shortage did exist for sure.

Banned
    Well, all I can say is that there was plenty of what I needed on line.

Boolit Bub
    there was a shortage of everything. The only I could get locally, were magnum pistol and magnum rifle primers.

Powders that have widest applicability eg Unique, Red dot/Promo were nowhere to be found online or local.
    There were no pistol powders in general.

There were some sparse specialized rifle powders (narrowest application catered to huge magnum cartridges)

I was checking wideners, midsouth, midway, brass pro, grafs, powder alley .. .anything). The whole experience was very unsettling.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by worker View Post
    there was a shortage of everything. The only I could get locally, were magnum pistol and magnum rifle primers.

Powders that have widest applicability eg Unique, Red dot/Promo were nowhere to be found online or local.
    There were no pistol powders in general.

There were some sparse specialized rifle powders (narrowest application catered to huge magnum cartridges)

I was checking wideners, midsouth, midway, brass pro, grafs, powder alley .. .anything). The whole experience was very unsettling.
    Amen to that - you described the situation to a "T". About the only powder I remember seeing available regularly was for 50 BMG. There were also a couple of other rifle powders available on occasion but I'm guessing the demand for those was somewhat less than for pistol/shotgun powders. I know some guys that shoot precision riffle but many more that shoot handgun and shotgun competition.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Bought another 1000 CCI 500 small pistol primers today while grocery shopping at WalMart. Next paycheck it will be powder.
    They sell primers at walmart????????? What the?

I have never in my life found a shortage of any components! Far to many over look the fact that what they are calling a shortage, was actually a gun owners self indulgence of anything they could get their hands on.

I listened to the galactically misinformed cry about no primers, no brass, no powder, and the at the same time showed them where they could buy all they wanted if,,,, they were willing to pay the prices the irresponsible gun owners hording these components were asking!

THERE WAS NEVER A SHORTAGE!! JUST PEOPLE NOT WILLING TO PAY THE PRICE THE SCAMMERS BUYING EVERYTHING UP WERE ASKING.

Our own NRA members trying to stick it to the rest of us! These are facts, I almost weekly during this time showed people looking for 9mm, 223, 45 acp, 22 rf, ammo as well as primers in any style or manufacture, powder in any quantity or brand or compound, where to buy all they wanted.

But they were as a rule smart enough not to pay these scammers the ridiculous prices they were asking for the components or ammo they had bought up in huge quantities that they never intended to use themselves in their lifetime. I just wonder how many that took part of this nationwide scam are among us,, I assure the ones that were responsible for this time just a few short years ago realize how despicable they were and will never step forward to admit taking part,, matter of a fact they will probably be the first ones to speak up and say this isn't true,, when most of us know it's a fact, but many try to deny it coming from our own!

It was a classic example of irresponsible gun owners shafting their fellow shooters!

As far as shelf life on powder and primers,,,, it would have to be from well before my time, or grossly improperly stored, but anyone in doubt of that I will gladly take any of the old powder or primers you have that are outdated and dispose of them for you!
    Last edited by wildcatter; 01-17-2019 at 12:44 PM.

You're correct, Wildcatter. That's why I call those times PANICS instead of SHORTAGES.
    I never turn down old ammo or components.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Just as soon as the Democrats get another president elected you will see the panic buying and hoarding again.....you can bank on it. I've been buying all the powder, primers and even boolit moulds that I can afford .
    I'm not going to get caught with my pants down again. And you know the Dem's aren't going to let the Republicans win the next election....no way , no how !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I am more concerned with lack of primers than lack of powder. Without the primers there is not much shooting up the powder.

I have set myself to cover my shooting needs for the most part for a reasonable time, for the handguns/rifles/shotguns/muzzleloaders I currently shoot. (but certainly not more than 2 years at the rate I am shooting & it is not like many others here who shoot much more than I do.)
    I made boolit traps to recover my boolits, and have a reasonable amount of extra brass, hulls, wads, lead & powders.

Primers are more of a concern "to me", right now.

Since I keep about 10-12 different powders in small quantities on hand, IMO, I am not too handicapped right now if things started to go bad for finding powders. I made it a point to make sure I had more than I have been shooting in the faster powders I like, & ones that can be used in everything but the muzzleloaders, so that in a pinch I could use those powders to still be able to shoot, even though they were not "preferred". But, faster powder in lesser amounts to shoot means I will need "more" primers...

So, once again, Primers come back into play... They go hand in hand with any powder shortage, or "Panic". I have tried to keep up with primers as much as powders. Sadly, I have not been keeping up.
    My next limited purchases this year will be focused on primers, & not much else unless a great inexpensive "deal" comes along for other things.

I know that this topic is more about finding a powder, if it seems they are beginning to become scarce to find in your area, but I am trying to also remind that Primers are just as important as the powder to be the ignition source, so don't leave them off the shopping list. I assure ya that you will regret it if you have powder & you don't have the primers to set the powder off.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber1911 View Post
    They sell primers at walmart????????? What the?
    The ones in my area do. I buy a fair amount of supplies there. Almost all of my primers since they carry most of the CCI flavors. Since CCI is a local company, the only other primer brand I've seen anywhere is Winchester.

They also sell powder. Off the top of my head, they have 3031, Unique ($23.99 a can), Titegroup is under $20 a can, and two or three other types that I don't use.

Bullets are a bunch of Hornady XTPs, FMJs, and RNs. A fair amount of Speer and Nosler hunting/rifle bullets. They also sell a wide range of dies, presses, scales, and other RCBS components.

I mean, it's not that impressive, but the prices are usually better than Midway and no shipping costs. The whole reloading section is only about 6'-8' wide on one side of an aisle. Really small.

But yeah, it blows a lot of people's minds that WalMart sells reloading equipment around here when most Walmarts don't even sell guns or ammo anymore.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Balance in components is hard, seems like always finding a powder or primer size not well represented. But yeah if you buy some good generally useful powders in quantity and enough primers of the sizes required to send that amount of powder as loads down range you will be in good shape. Math to get from grains of load to loads per pound isn't hard. (7,000 grains in a pound so divide that by grains in load) Now just figure how many pounds of powder you have that will need primers. An 8# jug each of three powders able to address a wide array of needs can require a lot of primers. What those powders should be is an individual need based on what you load. Throw in a few 1# bottles of specialty powders, or same powders as the 8# stockpile and it's even more primers. Nice part is once you have a balance "portfolio" of components maintaining it just involves replacing what you use as you use it. I have 1# and 8# of same powders. I use the 1# and keep the 8# jugs in reserve. Figure worst case I can ration my use of 8 pounds of powder to last a long time. It is easier to replace the 1# bottles as they get used. I stack my used powder and prime packaging in one spot. Allows me to see what I have used and that needs replacing. Yes a list would be more space efficient and probably better but I'll lose the dang thing and then where would I be?

There is one other consideration, trade can work where money will not. Primers, powder, and brass tend to face the same demand pressures at the same time. A $34 box of 1k primers is likely to be worth $34 of powder even if both have become scarce and are going for scalper prices. If primers are now $42 the powder is probably also now $42. People will trade scarce goods for scarce goods often more readily than they will sell them for cash that they won't be able to use to purchase scarce goods. In a famine people might swap bread for meat but they won't really want your money except at exorbitant prices that reflect current replacement costs and difficulty.

Guessing what or when the next panic buy event will be is a fools errand. Being in a good position to ignore it just takes a medium amount of thoughtful preparation, and a bit of commitment in financial resources in advance of actual need. If I die with a "stockpile" it would be sort of a waste but I can tolerate some income exchanged for peace of mind.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I to have never been caught with my pants down and have always had enough to get me through till a reputable source could replentish my stock. But I have never went out of my way to over stock, and then when the panic starts, offer what I have for 2 3 even 4 times what I paid for it. I seldom pay retail for anything. But I never have sold anything for over retail! The scum that do should be the pones that no one buys anything from!

Just like dealers that did, around me those that took advantage when everyone giving the screwing, were the first to disappear and go out of business when everything came back around. Unfortunately then the scalpers started getting rid of everything they themselves couldn't use for going prices, I just wish no one would have bailed them out and made em eat it all!

I am quite lucky and have shot benchrest for years, so I know many who do not operate like this and believe in shooters taking care of shooters, bit shooter screwing shooters, so they always know someone willing to help others get by, even to the point I have had some give me primers and powder, and refuse money, just ask that when I get the chance replace what they gave me! This is what shooters used to be, those that are not, I have little use for!

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    I to have never been caught with my pants down and have always had enough to get me through till a reputable source could replentish my stock. But I have never went out of my way to over stock, and then when the panic starts, offer what I have for 2 3 even 4 times what I paid for it. I seldom pay retail for anything. But I never have sold anything for over retail! The scum that do should be the pones that no one buys anything from!

Just like dealers that did, around me those that took advantage when everyone giving the screwing, were the first to disappear and go out of business when everything came back around. Unfortunately then the scalpers started getting rid of everything they themselves couldn't use for going prices, I just wish no one would have bailed them out and made em eat it all!

I am quite lucky and have shot benchrest for years, so I know many who do not operate like this and believe in shooters taking care of shooters, bit shooter screwing shooters, so they always know someone willing to help others get by, even to the point I have had some give me primers and powder, and refuse money, just ask that when I get the chance replace what they gave me! This is what shooters used to be, those that are not, I have little use for!
    Gone are the tables from gun shows with 300% mark up .22 rim fire ammo. Or similar markup on military calibers. And not missed. There is however less reloading stuff being sold, am seeing brass more than powder or primers. One show there was only one table with a small stock of primers. No powders except partial bottles at an estate sale table. Maybe a slight uptick in reloading equipment from the panic buying getting dumped but not even much of that. Like we all say ammo, lead and powder take a long time to spoil. What was panic bought has dropped demand to where selling isn't very profitable.

Yes I am another vote for may the ammo and component scalpers be stuck explaining to there spouses why they have hundreds tied up in money losing, no one will buy goods. While their spouse explains why they can sleep in the guest bedroom for the foreseeable future. And should count themselves lucky it isn't the dog house out back.

There was a fellow and his wife that sold reloading components they held the line on prices all through the shortage, they didn't have to put a limit on purchases because their buyers would generally "leave some for the other guy" On two occasions he had a bunch of desirable powder come in and get purchased by someone who turned out to be another vendor who marked it up a lot and resold it. He started shaming them by naming them and telling people who asked for that powder where they could get it what he sold it to them for without knowing they were buying for resale. I just said never mind I'll wait, not doing business with them, I think others passed on them too. He did get careful about who he sold to after that.

He was my go to source for components because he was a square shooter. Unfortunately as things slowed down at the shows his plant went to more shifts including weekends so he first scaled back to less tables which probably wasn't very profitable brass takes a lot of space and left his wife to work the sales herself, hauling brass and powder in and out is a bit of work for one person and can only transport 50# of powder per vehicle per trip. Together they could bring two vehicles and get 100# to the show per trip. Alone half as much. Eventually they stopped coming to the shows. Too bad, I can drive to a couple of places with powder and primers on the weekend but would wait to do business with him because I liked how he conducted himself during the tough times.

I do recall members here offering me the same sort of deal during the shortage. Here is a pound of that powder you can't find, I use it for the same caliber. Pay me back a pound when you can find some in stock. Had a gun show fellow bring in a pound of Unique for me just so I could try a particular load. He said that was a good load for him and if I could come back tomorrow he could bring me a pound. Just call his cell and he could bring it out so I wouldn't have to pay a second day entrance fee. Price was regular retail. When Unique was unobtainable at any price. The odd ball brass I get ends up in a baggy I drop off at his table from time to time. He loads weird stuff or knows people that do so the 3 or 4 of this and that get used and I know it is going to a stand up vendor.

I'm a little concerned even well established vendors with reloading equipment and casting supplies are telling me they struggle to make table fees. Saw a table normally covered with die sets covered with collectable BB guns and air rifles. They sell for enough to cover the fees and make the trip profitable, the dies I sell a few but not enough to make a profitable weekend. If you ask for something he will bring it from the store for you, and at a good price. More than anything I think he reflects a general slow down in reloading component and equipment market.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 01-24-2019 at 05:11 AM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234