RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: 455 Webley load data needed

Boolit Mold

Question 455 Webley load data needed

Hi Guys,

Looking for some load data for my S&W 2nd model hand ejector in 455 webley. I have Hornady MKII cases and want to use a 265grn cast projectile so looking for what you Guys are using.

Thanks for the help

Boolit Master
    I just had a look through all my loading manuals and only found 1 that listed that round, and its so old it only lists Nobel's pistol No 2 and 3 so no help. Regards Stephen

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Limit revolver velocity of 270-grain bullets in the Webley MkVI in .455 to 600 fps and 230 grain ones to 700 fps by using 3.0-3.5 grains of Bullseye or 4.5-5.0 grains of Unique. You can determine safe charges with other powders in “shaved” .45 ACP Webleys or unaltered .455 revolvers using the 0.87” length .455 MkI /.455 Colt/.455 Eley cases by adhering to the “start” load charges listed for .45 ACP using #452374 in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition (2010) on p.278, which do not exceed 13,000 cup.

Reduce these charges by 10% either for heavier bullets or for use in shorter 0.76” Mk II Starline, Hornady and Fiocchi cases, unless you are able to measure velocity of your revolver over a chronograph. Careful charge adjustment may then be cautiously used to obtain uniform ballistics within the stated limits to compensate for a very large cylinder gap over 0.010”, which is common in these revolvers. While you must be careful when reloading for any 100-year-old revolver, the Webley MkVI and S&W .455 Hand Ejectors are utilitarian pieces of history which can be enjoyed with appropriate ammunition.

The .455 bullets are best when soft. I use 50/50 plumber’s lead and backstop scrap with 2% tin added, approximating 30:1, about 9 BHN. Harder alloy is not needed, because velocities should not appreciably exceed 700 fps with 230-grain bullets or 600 fps with 265-270-grain ones.

MEASURE the cylinder throat diameters of your revolver with gage pins. Original Webleys are frequently tight and not uniform from one chamber to the other. Soft bullets not exceeding 10 BHN are essential to avoid spiking pressure and to permit bullets to obturate in the barrel after transitioning from cylinder throats which in original Webleys are frequently smaller than barrel groove diameter. Accuracy is improved by honing cylinder throats to clean up frosting from use of military corrosive primers, while making them all of uniform size about 0.001" larger than barrel groove diameter.

Original Webley cylinders generally run .449-.452" and vary chamber to chamber.
    S&W Hand Ejector cylinders generally run .455-.457" and Colts generally .454-.456"

Fiocchi brass uses small pistol primers while Hornady and Starline use large pistol primers. Ron Reed sells .45 Schofield cases modified to .455 Mk I Eley/Colt (0.87”) for $60 per 100. These are best for loading black powder in the older Marks I through III which are not proved for smokeless powder. Modified .45 Colt brass can also be used, but its smaller .512” diameter rim versus .520” for the Schofield and .535” for the Webley, may fail to engage with the extractor, which occasionally leaves a fired case or two in the chambers. The larger rim diameter of Starline Schofield brass, while smaller than original .455 cases, is more nearly correct, and avoids rim interference which occurs when Hornady or Fiocchi cases are used in adjacent chambers of the .45 ACP Kirst conversion in the Ruger Old Army and Pietta New Model Army Remington type revolvers.

.455 Pressure Test Data - Submitted by Larry Gibson, Lake Havasu, AZ

Test Firearm – T/C Contender .45 Colt 10” with strain gage interface to Oehler M43 Ballistic Test System

Test loads assembled in Starline .45 Schofield brass shortened to 0.87” length and rims turned,
    Winchester LP primer, weighed charges of 3.5 grains Alliant Bullseye throughout.

Accurate 45-240H (252 grs., 10 BHN) .452”, OAL 1.29” – 639 fps, 11,400 psi max.*
    • Only one shot recorded a high enough pressure to measure on the strain gage

Accurate 45-260H (269 grs., 10 BHN) .452”, OAL 1.30” – 648 fps, 14 Sd, ES 42, 11,800 psi, ES 900 psi

Accurate 45-290H (295 grs., 10 BHN) .452”, OAL 1.298” – 672 fps, 11 Sd, 32 ES, 12,600 psi, ES 1100 psi

Expected velocity drop in 6” barrel revolver estimated -100 to 150 fps, depending upon cylinder gap.

Attachment 231853Attachment 231854Attachment 231855

The above data which is based on firings in the 0.87" length case may be cautiously treated as a maximum load for assembly in the shorter 0.76" .455 MkII Hornady and Starline brass for use in the S&W .455 Hand Ejector, Colt New Service and Single-Action Army only. Reduce these charges 10% if loading Starline or Hornady MkII 0.76" length cases for the Webley Mark IV, Mark V and Mark VI revolvers.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-...5-Webley-MKII/
    Last edited by Outpost75; 12-10-2018 at 03:30 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks very much for all the information Outpost75 it is a huge help

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Thanks very much for all the information Outpost75 it is a huge help
    AND thank Larry for pressure testing these loads for me and allowing me to post them here.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad to help where ever I can.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla