Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: New springs for an old gun

Boolit Master

New springs for an old gun

I've had my old M1 Carbine for over 30 years. It's a '43 Underwood that I bought at a garage sale when I was in high school. It's nothing fancy, just an old Blue Sky refurbished import. I've fired many thousands of rounds through it over the years, jacketed and cast.

I'd never really given any thought to springs until recently when I was pondering how sluggish the bolt felt. I got on Ebay and spent $10 on a new spring. It sure made a big difference. My cast bullet load now just drops the empties onto the bench beside me.

Boolit Master
    That's one of the first things I do when I buy an old milsurp rifle or pistol - replace all the springs, if they're available.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I bought a 71/84 Mauser a couple of years ago and after several misfires I took the bolt apart. The firing pin spring was broken in two places and had screwed itself together. Took it to a gun show and found that an 03A3 spring is a perfect replacement. Hasn't misfired since.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    I replaced the recoil spring in my carbine. I will not try the bolt again lost parts and my religion on that one. no I did not have or even thought I needed the tool to do it .I learned that lesion. I did pick up a surplus high power it would jam all the time. a Wolff spring kit fixed it never a problem since. we bought a bunch of the argentine colt 1911s all the springs were junk.

Boolit Master

I don't recommend Wolf kits for the carbine. Most of the springs are too strong and frequently cause more problems than they solve. For a carbine, I suggest that original GI springs be used. It will avoid a lot of headaches. And YES, a bolt tool is a huge blessing when it comes to disassembling and reassembling a carbine bolt. It is worth the price in saving lost parts and in cuss words.

Boolit Master

I actually skipped disassembly of the bolt this time. I did replace the extractor once before when it broke, and that was a huge pain.

Boolit Master
    after my learning experience with the carbine bolt now I just hang them up and spray with carb cleaner then oil and am good to go.