Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: LEE mold for 10mm?

Boolit Master

LEE mold for 10mm?

Well fellas, I'm finally taking the plunge and getting a 10mm. Specifically an XDM. So now I need to get a mold for it (woe is me. ). I looked at some of the molds Arsenal and NOE have, but I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money until I have an idea of what the gun likes. The main one I was looking at was the Arsenal 180gr TC. The LEE 175gr TC looks almost identical though. I'm also curious as to whether the LEE 175gr SWC would perform well and function smoothly. There's also a LEE 195gr and 210gr SWC meant for the 41 mag that might work if they were sized down. The profiles on those are more squared off, so they might not feed well in a semi auto. Suggestions?

Boolit Master

LEE mold for 10mm?

The Lee boolit (175 TC) feeds perfectly in my S&W M&P 40, for what it's worth. They dropped a little small so I lapped the mold. You will never have that problem with a NOE. I have the Lee in 6 cav.
    I would guess the 145 gr SWC would be a great shooter too, but the feeding is bound to be a little pickier with that profile. You could probably get 1500 fps with a 10mm and the 145 gr.
    Last edited by Boolseye; 12-11-2018 at 07:23 AM.

Bought two Lee 175's about a cpl months apart. Senior moments..... but they're so cheap that after buying the first,was hitting some new to me gun stores with one of the boys and they had one on sale. Grabbed it without even thinking.

Heck,contacted a poster here on the classified within the last cpl weeks. Same M.O..... told him I'd take a mould,then a cpl hours later it was like?..... heck,I think we already have that one,yup. Apologized to seller for being an idjit.

175Lee functions and is doing well,size wise in a CZ. I'm not much of a pistol shooter anymore..... preferring revolvers.

Boolit Master

The Lee 175 TC is my mold of choice for my XDM 40.
    It feeds flawlessly in any gun I`ve tried it in.
    It is very accurate.
    If it works in a 40 it should work well in a 10MM...dale

Boolit Master
    I have boath of lees molds the 155gr and the 175 gr. Boath molds are good shooters.

Boolit Buddy
    One more vote for Lee 401-175-TC. Works great in my RIA Tac Ultra 10mm.

The Lee 175 (either flavor) worked well in my XDM40, I did a similar from Accurate @ 165 - better for 40sw. Might look at the 40-180H or similar profile in a 4x mould. I wore my Lee out (old style) and the 4x is just right for pistol casting, lots of boolits but not so difficult to pour as a 6x. If I were to do another it would be BB.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

The 175-TC is a good boolit for 10 and 40. I can't in good conscience recommend the 2 cav, however. I might have had a lemon, but it was aggravating to use.

Boolit Master

I have all 3 standard lube groove Lee TC molds, 9mm (120gr), .401 (175gr) and .452 (230gr). They all function flawlessly in every single firearm I've ever tried them in. I've even used the 230gr in someones VERY ammo sensitive compact taurus 45, he couldn't get it to function until he tried those loads. I do highly recommend the .401 175gr even though I don't use it much anymore, I have a Mihec 155gr HP I use now.

Attachment 231925The 175 gr Lee works like a champ in my sons Colt Delta Elite. Accuracy is as good or better than factory jacketed rounds and it feeds slick. In my opinion, the powder coating helps the feeding of any cast boolit. With the big flat meplat, this boolit should hit with authority!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Welp, you fellas convinced me. I went ahead and ordered the 175gr TC mold. I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I just got the stuff together for the 10mm . And for it I ordered 5 cavity NOE in 180 and 200 grains . But I've yet to cast any .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Buddy
    Get the Lee 6 Cavity mold. Cast and shot thousands. No Issues. Shooting EAA Witness and Poly and some times Glock(No Problems there either). I also use it in 40S&W for an S&W M&P.

Boolit Master
    Well fellas, the 175gr LEE was a home run after I did a little work to it. It was originally casting undersized (0.399"), but after a little work I was able to get it casting proper boolits. (0.402"). It's also casting closer to 185gr. It was also dropping them easier than most of my other molds after all that polishing. The accuracy was good, and the bullets hit with some serious authority. After about 70 rounds, I had some minor leading at the end of the barrel. I'll probably slug it and see if I need to make the mold any larger. I might just need a heavier coat of the old Alox tumble lube. I was pushing some of those rounds pretty hard (it is a 10mm after all, lol).

I found two loads I like. A hard hitting one loaded with a healthy dose of Bullseye, and a light shooting one loaded with Red Dot. I'll probably pick up some Blue Dot to try next time I buy powder. I'm wanting some super heavy loads. I've seen manufacturers get up to 1300 FPS with a 200gr bullet. I have yet to find any published data that even comes close to that. IIRC, the Blue Dot will get me close to 1300 with a 175gr boolit. Might pick up some 135gr J words too. 1400-1500 FPS with that should be fun, lol.

BTW, I went with the 2 cavity. I plan on upgrading eventually to an Arsenal or a NOE. I just wanted something to get started with and 2 cav LEEs usually fits that bill.

Boolit Master

That's a nice report. I like Blue Dot quite a bit, but find Accurate No. 9 to be a step up in every way, save efficiency, for max effort 10mm loads. Load data is scarce, but the nice thing about no. 9 is that it is tough to get enough of it into a 10mm case to break anything.

Edited to add: I've had some fun with Nosler 135 JHPs in the Glock 20. 800-X makes them BARK! The velocities that you seek are reasonable. I carefully worked up to 1700 fps with old IMR data, but I think that old data is a bit aggressive. I don't push it that high any longer.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 12-29-2018 at 01:17 AM.

Banned

works great in my 29 and 20 but it does need to be seated a bit deeper then in my 23 or my M&p 40

Boolit Master

B Dot, AA9, Longshot are good 10mm powders. Some folks preach about 800x but its like potatoe chips. It doesn't meter well and has to be individually weighed out. I went heavy for caliber with a NOE 198 (first NOE Mold) I short stopped from Osteocode, lol and a MiHec 220 Cramer. The NOE impressed me with normal new mold prep, the bullets rained from it. The Bdot with a 10+ grain charge and a 175-180 is a good easy to assemble load.

Boolit Master
    My M&P Shield likes the Lee 175 TC with conventional lube groove as well. I PC them.