WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russian "Italian" slug mold help

Success
    Heated up my casting furnace and topped it up with stick on wheel weights. Had about 1/4 pot full of coww in there already. So about 25/75 mix and they are releasing.
    They are a dog to get off still, have to use the mold as a clamp and really pull.
    I'm very happy, seems the alloy has everything to do with the release of the slug.
    I'm hoping it will get easier as the mold seasons a bit. Maybe some more polishing and clean up the inside of the base pin.
    Longbow perhaps I'll get you to give me a hand lapping it or touch it up with one of your reamers.
    A big thanks to everyone who helped me out

Boolit Grand Master

Good to know you've got some success.

Yes, I can help you out. We'll take a look shortly. Its a bit busy with Christmas coming so it may have to wait a bit but I'll make some time after Christmas for sure, if not before.

I used one of the Paradox slugs KrackenFan69 sent me to size a reamer to make a "post hole" for modifying a Lee slug mould so if your post is the same or similar (should be) it should clean that up. I had no hang ups at all with the modified Lee mould tonight. I started a new thread about that.

I am sure a little clean up will fix it. There is most likely a groove or burr in there somewhere. It doesn't take much!

Longbow

Your help and expertise would be greatly appreciated. After Christmas would be just fine by me. The Christmas rush is full tilt in my household.
    I'm just super happy to have at least some progress with this mold.

So there are two shotgun enthusiasts in Castlegar BC Who'd a thunk? I was curious and had to look it up on Streets and Trips and it appears to me that you are only about 100 or so miles from Spokane? Seems like a trip down would be a way to get components you need and can't buy in BC?

Ginsing: Try some synthetic 2 stroke motor oil on your mould pin. Since I'm sure all of you have Snowmobiles you probably have some in your garage. It also works well for general mould lubrication.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Randy:

I used to shop for reloading supplies in Spokane and Colville (Clark's Allsports) but 911 put an end to that. non US citizens can't be in possession of powder, primers, bullets or pretty much any reloading stuff. it is legal to bring it to Canada but it is not legal to be in possession of it in the US and it is not legal for a US citizen to export even empty brass unless you have an FFL. So as restrictive as our gun laws are, it is the US that put an end to my shopping in Washington!

I have to order in most stuff. The local gunshop of which we have one was out of most powders for about a year. Makes it awkward to shoot when you can't reload. Good thing I like archery too!

Longbow

I wish we could still go down across the line to get components. In my clay shooting days we used to go down every few months and get all we needed for us and club members. Back then everyone loaded their own. Now it's all cheap factory ammo at the club. Perhaps if I was closer to a distributer could save a bit loading your own, but at $60 for 25 lbs of shot and $35 + per pound of powder it makes it hard to justify.

I do use synthetic 2 stroke oil for my pins and sprue plate but I have never used it inside a cavity. Wouldn't that give a poor fill out on the inside surface of the slug?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginsing View Post
    I wish we could still go down across the line to get components. In my clay shooting days we used to go down every few months and get all we needed for us and club members. Back then everyone loaded their own. Now it's all cheap factory ammo at the club. Perhaps if I was closer to a distributer could save a bit loading your own, but at $60 for 25 lbs of shot and $35 + per pound of powder it makes it hard to justify.

I do use synthetic 2 stroke oil for my pins and sprue plate but I have never used it inside a cavity. Wouldn't that give a poor fill out on the inside surface of the slug?
    Just posted that video on how to roll crimp these on my Facebook page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12