RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A gift from a friend

Boolit Master

A gift from a friend

Had a friend overhear my excitement over the first muzzleloader I got a few weeks ago. (Picked up a Remington Genesis for a smooth 30 bucks)...never had been interested in muzzleloader before but now I have one i am very excited!!

Today at church he walks me out to his truck and pulls out a box he said he's had for 30+ years in the attic and never put it together. He said it is mine and all he asks is for a back strap from a deer I kill with it!!

I know these are super popular and hopefully have some suggestions from experience to offer?

Looks like he never touched it, so other than the wear on the box of being eaten by silverfish looks perfect.

In 50 cal which is perfect since I already bought a mold for the Genesis that will work with this one too! (Lee REAL combo 320 and rb mold)

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Sweet!! Very Sweet!!
    Aaron

Boolit Master
    Nice, I want one to put together

Boolit Master
    I had one years ago and it shot really good

In Remembrance
    That should be an easy build! Files and some sandpaper, maybe a carving knife. Keep us posted on how it goes.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    I assume he will be receiving a wonderful heartfelt gift this Christmas? Blessings? It appears you have been a very good boy! What a gesture, cherish the build and the ride.

I built one in 1985, that is a 54 cal. worked on it while watching TV. Filed and sanded the barrel down to crocus cloth grade then had it hot blued. It's like looking into a dark blue mirror. Finished stock with 2 light coats of maple stain, 7 coats of sanded hand rubbed tru oil and a final buffing. It is one gun that I will never sell.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

You are going to have so much fun! And the Cadillac of kits!
    Take your time but have it ready by next season to hold up your end!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Can't be beat! Mine is a .45 caliber I bought in 1976. It wasn't a kit though. All I've harvested with it was squirrels, and now it sits in my son's gun safe.......

That Plum Brown will make the rifle look mighty purteeee......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Home run! Good luck with it and enjoy it!
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    You are going to have so much fun! And the Cadillac of kits!
    Take your time but have it ready by next season to hold up your end!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Id like to give this thing and it's previous owner the respect it deserves as a very generous gift...plan to polish the brass with very fine grit paper then polish compound...sand the stock super fine, stain, then polish in with beeswax? ( What is a good finish sealer for the Walnut?)

Blue the barrel and set in the hardware...prob put in a 209 conversion nipple and rear peep sight....I dunno may leave the original sight

What color should I stain the stock?

Boolit Master

Good Evening John: What a great friend you have there. I had the exact same kit. I moved it a couple of times when we relocated, and ended up having it several years before doing the build. Anyway, what I decided to do was do the build with my grandson helping me. We worked on it and I took it to a local gunsmith for bluing after much preparation on the barrel by draw-filing the barrel flats and using several grits of wet-or-dry crocus paper. It turned out pretty nice. After completion, I presented it to my grandson. It was very enjoyable getting to spend time with, and sharing the build with my grandson. I know you will like it.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    I would just put Tru-Oil on it.....but that's me. I sanded down an old Montgomery Ward double barrel shotgun stock and did that, with no stain. It made the most pretty blonde stock....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Good Evening John: What a great friend you have there. I had the exact same kit. I moved it a couple of times when we relocated, and ended up having it several years before doing the build. Anyway, what I decided to do was do the build with my grandson helping me. We worked on it and I took it to a local gunsmith for bluing after much preparation on the barrel by draw-filing the barrel flats and using several grits of wet-or-dry crocus paper. It turned out pretty nice. After completion, I presented it to my grandson. It was very enjoyable getting to spend time with, and sharing the build with my grandson. I know you will like it.
    Why draw file the barrel flats? Just to smooth it out more before wet sanding?

Good for you! Take some pics during the build.
    I have been looking for one of those TC kits for a while. My 16 year old son had wanted us to put one together.
    Mentioned it to my sons great uncle when we were at his place last thanksgiving and he said come back to my shop.
    He handed me a .45 TC Hawken and asked if it would be alright to give to my son. It was the first gun her ever bought back in 1976 and it is a beauty. It has a new barrel on it. I am very thankful for his generosity, and will return the favor when it is my turn to be generous.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Good for you! Take some pics during the build.
    I have been looking for one of those TC kits for a while. My 16 year old son had wanted us to put one together.
    Mentioned it to my sons great uncle when we were at his place last thanksgiving and he said come back to my shop.
    He handed me a .45 TC Hawken and asked if it would be alright to give to my son. It was the first gun her ever bought back in 1976 and it is a beauty. It has a new barrel on it. I am very thankful for his generosity, and will return the favor when it is my turn to be generous.
    I'm truly humbled and excited for his generosity... my wife keeps telling me what a kid I look like carefully handling and opening the box as if it were fragile...

My boys are yet a bit too young to appreciate it...but they'll def want to help daddy (got three of them, 4 years, 2 years and 8 months old) - I'll need to figure out what pieces they can "help" with on it.

In Remembrance

The 50 cal. kit I built back in the `80`s I wanted to give it an antique look on the ramrod, so I spiral scorched it then tru oiled it several coats. Draw filing is a process to remove rough spots and square the octagon barrel flats. Birchwood Casey makes a walnut wood sealer if that answers your question, otherwise just go ahead and start doing the tru oil coats. I steel wooled the stock a day after each tru oil coat, after 10 coats I sprayed a coat of tru oil then a day later I rubbed it down with pumice.Robert

Banned

good on you! screwdriver sidelock kits are fun to assemble and the t/c's are good 'uns.

Boolit Master

Post 12 perfectly answered the draw filing question. I found it best to keep the barrel's corners crisp and well defined to wrap the crocus cloth around the file for the smoothing operation. The quality of the blue job depends on the quality of the prep work.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post

plan to polish the brass with very fine grit paper then polish compound...sand the stock super fine, stain, then polish in with beeswax ? (What is a good finish sealer for the Walnut ?)

[The above plan for the stock is not a finish - sanding/staining are preparations for finishing. If beeswax (a top coat) is applied, applying finish will be impossible. Tru-Oil works very well as a stock finish, and can be left glossy or rubbed down with 0000 steel wool for a satin finish. Apply the wax AFTER[/I] the finish has cured/hardened.]

Blue the barrel and set in the hardware... [The browning solution that came with the fit is traditional, and if the barrel is polished properly B 4 application, the browning can look fantastic...… and classic.]

prob put in a 209 conversion nipple - [NOT ! !]

and rear peep sight....I dunno may leave the original sight - [I would advise shooting it with the open/barrel sights before making that decision.]

What color should I stain the stock ? - [No stain if you like a light-colored walnut, one of the darker brown shades if a darker brown walnut is desired.]

I hope that helps make your friend's gift a treasure to remember - and, impress him with your skills built.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast