Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a bit of help Remington 788

Banned

Question Need a bit of help Remington 788

Nice old rifle in 222 rolls in Friday. Customer attempted a timney trigger swap out.

And he broke the hinge? For lack of a proper name. That holds the trigger in place via a pin.
    So is this soldered in?
    Thanks Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181208_175939.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

It may be soldered in what does it look like here inside the action? Soldered in a complete new one can be made and soldered in. if its machined on then cut off flat justbelow bottom of the hole make a new end and tig weld it on. Leave end proud all around so after welding it can be cleaned up and new hole drilled

Banned

Nothing on the inside. It does appear to have a hint of solder around the base.

Making a new one is in the plan. Thought I might lucky and.find the actual part. HA yea

I'll find out tomorrow

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Words fail me...

That is someone that needs to be slapped if they even glance at a screwdriver.

Robert

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Words fail me...

That is someone that needs to be slapped if they even glance at a screwdriver.

Robert
    Oh it's a weekly event. Here ya go! Short BBL 45-70 rolling block tang sight attempt. The holes are 3x the size of the screw.

I've screwed a few things up in my day. But Man SMH

Boolit Master

Wow. I'm a 788 aficionado, and I've never seen that failure before, or even heard of it.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Banned

Oh man , I was like WOW A 222 !!

A little penetration oil goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    Wow. I'm a 788 aficionado, and I've never seen that failure before, or even heard of it.

An angel cries when a 788 is hurt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

You need to have it tiged and reshape and dril it to do it right. Heat sink around it and you will be good to go. That has to be solid!!! as if it lets go when the rifle is loaded boom.

Boolit Buddy
    The trigger stud is copper brazed in place.
    Look at the slot the trigger lays in, they milled it first, then put the stud in place.

Person tried to hammer the cross pin in place with the tension screw in the up position, this is even covered in Timney's instructions.

A new stub will have to be made and silver soldered in place. Take care to measure things before working on the stud as the hole needs to be in the correct location otherwise the bolt stop will not work properly.

JW

Banned

Mucho Thanks JW!

Boolit Master

another option would be to drill and tap the frame and make a screw in stud.

I never felt the need to replace a 788's trigger. The worst I had from 7 of them was 5# that felt lighter because of the crisp let off. We used trigger shoes back then also.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh how I wish I had the 788's I traded or sold back in the 80's. Not trying to hijack the thread but I have had 5 788's and have not encountered or heard of this bubba problem. I have replaced triggers in 788's for several people and it is straightforward when you follow the directions. And as TEXAS said I have never had a 788 that the trigger was needing to be replaced. Some have been heavier than others but clean and crisp. Sometimes I prefer a little heavier trigger pull on a light rifle where I can settle in to the stock and control my breathing. Thank the Lord that I still have the 788 in 6MM with the long barrel that someone tried to glass bed and did a horrible job and ruined the accuracy of this fine rifle. New stock new rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    An angel cries when a 788 is hurt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I gotta agree!!! All of my 788's are treated like they are a priceless collectables!!! Some people have no business trying to do their own smithing.
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Master
    Years ago bought a 788 carbine really cheap that had that problem, Modified a clamp to hold it in place and welded it on. Worked fine but did replace the factory spring with one from erniethegunsmith which did wonders for the pull. Had hoped it would be a nice light rifle but was heavier than I expected so sold it off. Shot cast really well.

Boolit Master
    Isn't the sear spring also the trigger return spring on the 788's factory trigger? Seems like I remember a modification where that spring is shortened and a separate return spring and screw is installed.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Banned

I had a 788 once ,never paid attention to trigger as it worked.

I have no idea about the original trigger it was not given to us. It's in line to be worked on.
    After I clean up a tang and install 2 threaded bushings for a sad attempt at a tang sight install.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Black Powder Bill View Post
    I had a 788 once ,never paid attention to trigger as it worked.

I have no idea about the original trigger it was not given to us. It's in line to be worked on.
    After I clean up a tang and install 2 threaded bushings for a sad attempt at a tang sight install.

I was wondering how you where going to fix that, lotta work for a dumb mistake! Did they say how they did that?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Merlin101 it appears they went "oil patch" on that one! The tang sight base needs to be long and wide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast