Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Remington large grip Pietta

Remington large grip Pietta

See Dixie has for sale a Remington new model army with a larger then stock grip frame on it.

Wondered if any have purchased one and played with it.

I would like to own a Remington new model army that does not bang into my first knuckle on my right bad finger.

Do tell my friends, is this a big enough difference to change this rather uncomfortable bumping?

I've seen folks either modify grips or make their own grip panels for guns that have grips that are too small.
    Especially target shooters who go to great lengths, including having custom grips made.

I don't know why some outfit like Pachmayr doesn't make some over sized replacement grips for the Pietta 1858.
    They make some nice rubber grips with added support for the Ruger Old Army that also fit the Blackhawk.

The Pietta 1858 is certainly a popular enough gun to warrant some attention from the major grip making companies.
    There are plenty of after market grip options for other popular revolvers.

I recall one fellow made extended grips for his Remington C&B revolver.

Some folks have said that not too many years ago, Pietta changed their grip shape from having more of a tail at the bottom of the backstrap.
    I don't know if they changed the shape of the grip frame or not.

It sounds like you might need grips that enclose around the back strap to move your hand back.
    Or wear 1/2 fingered leather bicycling gloves or such that protect your finger.
    Last edited by arcticap; 12-09-2018 at 12:00 AM.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I haven't had the opportunity to handle one of the Remmies with the larger grips.

Making or put on larger, fatter grips I suppose could possibly help - but you fingers are not going to change size and there is only so much room between the front of a grip frame and the back a trigger guard loop.

I might be thinking wrong - but think of a Tyler T grip device that is often used on a lot of revolvers - I'll use a J frame as an example as I have several. With the stock grip on my J frame 36s, the space behind the trigger guard and the grip frame is an issue. I put on a pair of pachmayer combat grips and wallah! No more issue as it takes care of that space and hand ends up gripping lower.

The folks at Dixie should be able to give you an answer as to just what the difference is between the standard and oversize grip on the Remmie. I'd also ask if the distance from trigger guard to frame has changed any.

If there isn't much change in that dimension, you might try devising some sort of a "filler" that would be on the line of Tyler device that would make your grip lower and you finger further away from the space giving your fingers issues.

At least the grips are 2 piece so if you decided to try and fashion different ones that may fit you better you cold use them as patterns.

I have a Pietta NMA in the Navy version - good revolver and a good shooter but I know what you are talking about. I shoot my Colt clones more that that one but at some point, I'm going to see what I can do with making some custom grips for it.

I have always shot '51 Navies and have had quite a few over the years of different brands. I picked up a Uberti '51 from a guy that had never shot it but displayed it for a number of years. I love the gun but it has a square back trigger guard and it's a real finger banger at times. I don't want to part with it but I'm seriously considering getting a new Uberti with a round trigger guard. I just got a Uberti '51 R & M conversion a few months ago - it has the rounded trigger guard and I can't believe what a difference there is for me - no finger banging. Sometimes it just doesn't take much.

If you talk with Dixie or get a chance to look at the oversize grip - please post your thoughts as I would think a lot of folks would be curious - I would be. Thanks!

I will post what info i can round up when i get it.