RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44-40 Black Powder...a little something different

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    If shooting BP, forget about the crimp. The bullet is sitting on the powder charge and will not telescope any deeper. Just iron the flare out of the case mouth and drive on. The crimp you are showing is excessive, even for smokeless.
    Its not there to keep it from telescoping, its there to keep it from falling out. It may be "showing" excessive but it is not in this particular case. I had to modify a Lee seating die and if the crimp is not solid, the bullet sticks to the plunger...I gotta check that out closer.

I got written permission to share the photo.

Here is the 44 Winchester Prototype Cartridge for the Winchester 73'
    Attachment 231816
    It is offered for sale for $4,000

Attachment 231817
    The "dimpled" Milbank Primer

The cartridge was very short lived. It is said that some of the first rifles to be delivered were delayed until the boxer primed cartridges were "released".
    Attachment 231818

The exposed lube groove is on this second style box
    Attachment 231819
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 12-10-2018 at 01:06 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Jack - John Kort's post on the 44-40 if you don't have it. John will not be posting anymore - my close friend died 23 Mar 2018 ... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Powder-Journey
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Jack - John Kort's post on the 44-40 if you don't have it. John will not be posting anymore - my close friend died 23 Mar 2018 ... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Powder-Journey
    Yes, he is missed. I am glad to see you post, have not seen you for some time John Boy!!!

Shortly before he passed he gave me permission to share his work. We were so fortunate to have him on these forums. I learned so much from him.
    https://www.44winchestercenterfireca....com/john-kort

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Jack - nice website ... I finally had a 44-40 follow me home, an 1878 JM Marlin Ballard. Been loading it with 6.2gr of ETR7, a clone of John's load - 6.2/Titegroup – favorite plinking, target load – 1,150 f.p.s. and 35gr of Swiss FFg and John's Accurate bullet
    Regards
    John

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for sharing his knowledge. Sure learn a lot here!
    I just started loading for my S&W DA 44-40 yesterday; just got a couple hundred 200 gr boolits to try out it out, from Whyte Leather works.
    I picked up the pace on the 10th round, and while starting the lead into the case mouth with my thumb, bulged the brass, sure enough as forewarned here.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Jack - nice website ... I finally had a 44-40 follow me home, an 1878 JM Marlin Ballard. Been loading it with 6.2gr of ETR7, a clone of John's load - 6.2/Titegroup – favorite plinking, target load – 1,150 f.p.s. and 35gr of Swiss FFg and John's Accurate bullet
    Thanks John Boy, it has taken me a very long time to get this together. I owe a lot of it to John Kort and Mr Harris.

Otteray...it's a fun adventure!!! When I used to shoot CAS I ordered all my 38 Snakebites from Whyte. It gave the 38 the same AOL as the 357 for the Marlin 1894C

Shot these things today in my MGM barrel @ 100 yards

Now I see why Winchester did not produce them. As expected, the lack of neck retention makes for shotgun like hits on the target at 100 yards. Nuff said! However...no chrono cause it was raining. 10 shot groups inside 24" square.

In Remembrance
    Lately, I have been reloading 44-40 using an original Winchester mold and a Winchester tong tool. The mold throws RNFP boolits at 201 grains using soft lead. The ammo feeds and shoots well in my C&B conversion cylinders, USFA '73, Rossi '92, and '75 Remington repro.
    Last edited by mazo kid; 01-21-2019 at 11:05 PM.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    Lately, I have been reloading 44-40 using an original Winchester mold and a Winchester tong tool. The mold throws RNFP boolits at 201 grains using soft lead. The ammo feeds and shoots well in my C&B conversion cylinders, USFA '73, Rossi '92, and '74 Remington repro.
    I would really like to see the mold and the bullet it drops as well as the tool!!! Love that stuff!

In Remembrance
    Not real good pictures, but here is what I use.

NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

I like it!!!!!!

In Remembrance
    Thank you. I do like the more leisurely pace, but if I need to crank out a lot, I will use the press.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12