Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Pacific press help

Pacific press help

Do any of you have experience with the old Pacific DL Model 100 presses? I have an accumulation of old shotshell presses and enjoy refurbishing them. The Model 100 and possibly other older Pacific presses have a crimp station (4th of six) just after the wad insertion shot drop station that I assume is for roll crimping paper hulls. The die in this station has three spacing studs on top and is spring loaded so that turning the die 1/8th turn raises or lowers the die by approx. 1/4 of an inch. I hate being dense but so far the function escapes me and I've crushed several hulls trying to figure it out. Can any of you enlighten me as to the proper way of using this crimp feature? Thanks. Gp

It is probably a crimp starter. I have an old Baer where that station it is a plastic cup like starter. It is smooth inside and it only starts the crimp and will work with 6 or 8 point shells. You need to set it for the size shell you are loading. With the 1/4" adjustments I'd guess 2.5, 2.75 & 3". If you extend the resizer tube so it limits how far the press will lower you can control how deep the shell is pushed into the starter. Its a trial and error type of adjustment. It also helps of the shells are uniform in length (case trimmer suggested).
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Thank you Minerat for your reply. On the Model 100 (At least the way this press is set up) the crimp starter is at the rear of the machine, sixth station of six. Now for all I know, There may be two kinds of crimp start on this machine. Possible that one is for plastic hulls #6 and the other for paper hulls #4 Still escapes me as to just how station #4 functions. Gp

Boolit Master

Last edited by skeettx; 12-09-2018 at 04:19 PM.

skeettx; Thanks for the link. I'd been to that sight a couple of times before but missed one important point. As new the 100 came with a shell holding tube for use in conjunction with station 4 and 5. As press was purchased on Ebay this piece was missing and I've worked out a workaround by installing a Mec finish crimp die at station #5 and using the crimp starter that is installed in station #6 I've also modified the charge bar housing so that the press now uses the standard Mec charge bars as well as the Pacific bars (Expensive when they can be found) In all I have the press working well with my modifications so I'll keep on the look out for the mentioned shell holder tube. Sometimes it takes me more than one look to see the problem. Thanks again. Gp

Boolit Master

Are you talking about part 100-34??
    Mike

p.s. also review this

https://www.mecshootingsports.com/Co...uments/250.pdf
    Last edited by skeettx; 12-09-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Yes Mike. The press is in excellent shape and works well with my modifications but the part 100-34 is missing and it's an important part if the press is to be used as intended new. Thanks Gp

Boolit Master

I have a Texan or Mec Sleeve.
    It will work as designed
    You want 12 gauge 2 3/4 right?
    And what hull will you be mostly loading?
    Last edited by skeettx; 12-09-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Mike: Sorry. I got called away in the middle of the discussion. I'll look over the Mec information. Thanks again for the link. Yes, 12ga. 2 3/4 would be what I load on this press. I should say that this press is one of many "vintage" presses that I've picked up for my little accumulation, not a press that will be my everyday go to press but it would be nice to have the sleeve for it. If you have an extra I'd be happy to have it and pay what it's worth. Let me know. I have on hand both the 12 and 20 sizing rings intended for the Lee load-all and use them with an arbor press at times. For 12ga. the most common shells I load are Federal and secondly STS's and AA's. The later two for shot and the Federals for slugs and round ball. Thanks for helping me along with this. Gp

Boolit Master

OK
    PM me your address and I will send you the sleeve
    Merry Christmas
    No charge on part or shipping
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Mike: Thank you. Merry Christmas to all here at Boolits. Very good friends to have here and especially here in the Shotgun threads. Gp