Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rifle choice

Boolit Man

New rifle choice

im looking for a new rifle. my plans are to hunt hogs. possibly antelope and elk. I was thinking 308, 6.5 creedmore or 7mm_08. my plans are to reload for whatever rifle i end up with

Boolit Buddy
    I prefer Savage rifles personally. Think I'd maybe go with the 6.5 of those three for the high bc and sectional density.

Boolit Buddy
    7-08 bit light for elk but then again so is the 308.
    Cast or J words?
    Why the creedthing - 260 Rem??
    Pick your bore and projectile weight, How fast you need to go.
    Pick a case that'll get there with room to spare.
    Just because a bullet can fly a 1000yds don't mean everyone can shoot a 1000yds.
    30-06 is never a mistake.

Boolit Master
    +1 on the 30-06

Of the 3 calibers you mentioned I would choose the 308 Win.

Jedman

Boolit Master

I think the 7mm-08 fits your needs based on your requirements. It’s just about perfect for hogs and antelope and can easily take elk with the proper bullet or boolit and range. My big question would be which rifle... one of the newer lowered priced rifles or maybe a more traditional like an older Rem 700, Ruger M77, Interarms M98, or Savage.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master
    7mm-08 is a great little round. 6.5 Creedmoor is an interesting cartridge with tons of ability & potential. The .308 is tried and true with components all over the place. It's an easy cartridge to load and is inherently accurate. Although under estimated, it's a real workhorse. It's the only caliber I took to Africa years ago and everything I shot, died with one shot. The only thing I had to track was a kudu and that was for only about 60 / 70 yards. I just got back from an elk / mule deer trip to Montana and the rifle I carried was a .308. Saw elk at over 1,000 yards but couldn't get in front of them. Did see a super muley at over 200 yards, and now it's in my freezer. (one shot). Everybody has a personal favorite. None of your choices are bad. Just don't overlook the .308 because it's not the latest - greatest. It's great on it's own merits. Easy shooter, too.

Boolit Master
    I like the .308 a lot too. About the only thing the 6.5cm has going for it is lower recoil. If you are not paper punching then that's a moot point.

Boolit Master
    308 all the way

Boolit Man
    thanks for the suggestions i was kinda leaning towards the 308. it seems like everyone around me is jumping on the 6.5 bandwagon. everyone just has to have one. i dont punch paper i hunt. just not alot of experience with rifles. ive always thought id get a 308. just seen 7mm_08 in the mix. also is there a better all around rifle for what i want to do. thanks again. by the way all i have now is a 243 thats the only rifle ive ever owned

Boolit Master
    If you are a reloader and a bullet caster, the old 06 is a no brainer. Reload it to do anything the .308 can do and a bit more. If you are relegated to factory ammo, the 06 is a no brainer. Component selection is off the charts. I have loaded 06 with 115 grain Lee soup cans with a little red dot to fire walled 220 grain jacketed and everything you can imagine in between. The .308 would be my next personal choice and the 6.5 Creedmore next just because of of it's rising popularity. The 6.5 and 7mm make for a distant third or fourth place. The 30 calibers may not be "cool" but they sure are practical and the 06 is the most practical of the lot. That is just MY opinion.

My 308 has never had an elk escape from it, 4 at last count and using 110gr hp it kills coyotes too. 7mm-08 is a necked down 308, it'll get it done too. Neither are a bad choice in my mind.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I'm in the 30-06 crowd as a hunter..... Perhaps somewhat off topic, but I also took note last shortage, and 30-06 was strangely enough one of the few common calibers I saw still available on store shelves. The 223/5.56 and 308/7.62 stuff was nowhere to be found locally. I've always been a 30-06 guy.....bought my most current hunting rifle chambered as such, as I believe it's the most capable AND available cartridge that can take any game we have in North America. FWIW - I don't buy factory ammo.....but it definitely opened my eyes when I saw it on the shelves when nearly everything else was gone....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Man
    well honestly i never even thought of the 06. i wont be shooting factory ammo i will reload for whatever i get. i guess im down to 06 and 308. what is the recoil like between the 06 and 308

Boolit Master
    The wonderful thing with custom loading your own ammo is you can make it what you want .

Boolit Master
    The wonderful thing with custom loading your own ammo is you can make it what you want . So you can load the 308 up or the 3006 down or vice versa . You get to make it what you want .

Vendor Sponsor

308 is short action
    30-06 is a long action
    Just something else to consider
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Recoil is about the same - nothing to fret over.
    It's been some years now that when I have guys askin what to get I say:
    30-06 for anything that ain't gonna eat me then if they do I want a LOT more.
    Your up early for the hunt rush out and drive a couple hrs and then oh ****!!
    I forgot my ammo!! Gas stations carry 06 shells
    As far as the creedthing I think you gonna see it tumble a little - I was talkin
    to an old gent I've dealt with for years and he was tellin me that the only
    new brownings he could get were 6.5's everything else was trying to get caught up.
    His supplier told him they just weren't moving anymore - Might have run it's course.
    As it should - If Rem wouldn't have dropped the ball the 260 would be on top of the heap.
    OOPs! side tracked again I think you would be more than happy with an older pristine 700BDL
    Dime a dozen and built better than anything coming out today.

The recoil difference between the 308 and the 3006 depends more on how the stock fits you than the difference in the cartridges when you are using comparable bullet weights.
    For large game animals, the 3006 is much better due to how well it handles the heavy bullet weights. For smaller animals, you get some extra speed capability.
    If you have an issue with recoil, you can put a little extra weight in the butt stock of the rifle to soak up the recoil. Those black stocks are hollow back there and a little aquarium gravel goes a long way towards softening the recoil of the rifle. It also helps with the rifle's balance for me.
    I vote for the 3006. I own both cartridges and they are both good choices.

Boolit Master
    I see a trend happening sort of towards the 308 Winchester with the manufacturers over the 3006 Springfield but my love for the 3006 is for ever lasting and unwavering I don't own a 308 and probably never will . Now with that being said I'd say get you a 308 and shoot it until it shoots good then try to wear it out !!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast