RotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & Sons

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New rifle choice

Boolit Master
    Lighter calibers will kill elk as does a 25-20, 308 is as light as I care to go for elk, 30-06 means a heavier long action bolt gun without much of a step up from the 308, if you going to carry a long action bolt gun, and you reload, the 300 Win Mag does add something and is not any harder to reload and is very accurate, even with pleasurable light boolits. The 308 is still used by military all over the world, plenty of load data, components, information, all kinds of rifles, bolt, lever, semi-auto, old and new. If a store has '06' ammo it will have 308. Not much 'cheap' or surplus '06' around, plenty of 'white box' 308. I know what the paper numbers say about kinetic energy of the lighter numbers over longer ranges. I also know that there are other ways used to measure hunting effectiveness, Taylor's Knock Out, Keith's pound-feet (momentum),a few others, where they don't hold up as well as the heavier bullets and larger calibers. There is a BIG difference between dropping a deer or antelope and killing a bull elk. While I think the 243 is just fine for deer and antelope, I think the 308 is the lightest I'd use on elk.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    While I think the 243 is just fine for deer and antelope, I think the 308 is the lightest I'd use on elk.
    Thats why I changed from the 308 to a 300 Wby mag as my elk rifle about 10 years ago. The 308 served its purpose (1969 to 1985) till I could afford something else. I don't own an 06 never figured 250 fps made that much difference at the distances I usually shoot big game at.

Boolit Grand Master Texas by God's Avatar
    The .308 is the easy choice. BUT I would take the 7-08 after elk with a 160 gr Partition with no hesitation. I came close to becoming a one rifle man when the 7-08 came out, but realized I need several rifles to be truly happy. I may own one yet; my new grandson will need a rifle and there's a NOS Stevens 200 7mm-08 at the LGS for $240....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I like the way you 2 think Minerat. MostlyLeverGuns in the 80s I went from a 243 to the 300 Winchester on 100-180 white tails then in the 90s I went back down to the 3006 , I always thought the perfect round for me would be a good 308 Norma Mag because I run my 3006 wide open , but the 300 Win backed off a bit . But I would still recommend the OP step up to a 30 caliber and he can find a 308 that shoots good pretty easily without worrying about recoil . You can't walk across a shooting range without stepping on 308 brass , someone has a extra set of reloading dies he could pick up reasonable and I'm shore with the selection of bullets he could make it work .
    Last edited by toallmy; Yesterday at 12:22 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Of the 3 calibers you mentioned I would choose the 308 Win.

Jedman
    +++++1
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

308, maybe 12:1 twist? What is the difference in powder req. for same performance in 08 vs 06? Lots of LC brass around.
    Whatever!

he rifle im looking at is the tc compass

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12