Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reloading 9mm is confusing...

Just for grins, I tried the Lee 356095 that I use for my 380, in the 9mm. Used range pickup brass, boolits molded of range scrap with Ben's Liquid Lube, seated over 4.0 gr of Red Dot. They all functioned fine, but I wasn't really shooting for accuracy.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    I reload/shoot 1000's of the mihec 125gr bullets I cast for the 9mm's in that 1911 every year. My 1911 with the $.04 a round dirt clod killers.
    I love this. No rock is safe when I'm out with my 9.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    I love this. No rock in safe when I'm out with my 9.
    Jackrabbits have few good things to say about the 9mm as well.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Jackrabbits have few good things to say about the 9mm as well.
    Wish I had jackrabbitsome here.

Boolit Master
    Underwood loads the Hornady 147 grain XTP to 1.079 inch length and Hornady lista 1.100 inch.
    Where did you get 1.169 inches?

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Underwood loads the Hornady 147 grain XTP to 1.079 inch length and Hornady lista 1.100 inch.
    Where did you get 1.169 inches?
    Like I said in the OP; " I believe it was 1.169" and 1.110"." You are correct in that the 147gr XTP is 1.100. A standard 147gr JHP is 1.169.

My point still stands in that there are multiple COLs given for the same grain bullet compared to the .40 S&W and 10mm that I normally load for.

For example:

Attachment 232295
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Like I said in the OP; " I believe it was 1.169" and 1.110"." You are correct in that the 147gr XTP is 1.100. A standard 147gr JHP is 1.169.

My point still stands in that there are multiple COLs given for the same grain bullet compared to the .40 S&W and 10mm that I normally load for.

For example:

Attachment 232295
    Maybe I am missing something but in your OP didnt you say you loaded the 147 grain XTP to 1.169 inches overall?
    Am I missing something?

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Maybe I am missing something but in your OP didnt you say you loaded the 147 grain XTP to 1.169 inches overall?
    Am I missing something?
    Not sure where you are getting this... Or why. You can read the entire original post. Specifically this part... "I started experimenting with the barrel and some new loads using 124gr RMR JHPs and 124gr Winchester FMJs tonight. The Winchesters plunked fine with an OAL of 1.169, but the JHPs had to be down to 1.080 to plunk."

You may want to read slower and repeat a couple of times...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Not sure where you are getting this... Or why. You can read the entire original post. Specifically this part... "I started experimenting with the barrel and some new loads using 124gr RMR JHPs and 124gr Winchester FMJs tonight. The Winchesters plunked fine with an OAL of 1.169, but the JHPs had to be down to 1.080 to plunk

You may want to read slower and repeat a couple of times...
    Here is an excerpt of your first post copied and pasted: "I began by loading some 147gr XTPs and 124gr RMR JHPs to spec, I believe it was 1.169" and 1.110". Used the same recipes I had used for my Gen 4 G19. Went to the range and had some feeding issues; slide wouldn't go into battery. Took it apart and plunked some rounds and found the problem; too long."

I realize I am perception challenged and am 66 years old but I do think I read that.
    Maybe I didn't.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I've found some things that have worked in every 9mm pistol I've owned; Sig Sauer, Ruger, Glock, Browning:

Size to .357, or make sure the boolits you buy are. The common .356 commercial boolits just don't work in many guns, especially with the dried up waxy lubes many of them have.
    Make sure that the crimp die flattens out the case mouth flare. Use a magnifying glass to make sure if needed. Plunk test thoroughly when creating a new load.
    Light to mid-range charges usually produce good results. I like 3.8 grains of Bullseye, HP-38/231, and Titegroup with boolits under 140 grains.
    Check your case rims and extractor grooves for burrs and deformities. These defects can cause feeding and extraction problems.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123