Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Free box of ???

Free box of ???

Just got a free box of small square-ular and circular bits. Any idea what these are from? If I can figure it out I can probably score a good bit more as the fella I got them from seemed to imply he had a source but couldn't remember which of his many friends it was from as he couldn't remember what these were either.

The color in the photo, of the center items is a reflection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unknown_box.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	232338

Moderator Emeritus

Looks like leftovers after something was stamped out of sheet lead... how hard is it?

Boolit Master
    The circular washers??, remind me of the lead weights that were used on oil spill booms. One piece had the hole and the other had a stem that fit into the other piece. Then you used a special punch to swage the stem into the one with the hole. When taking the boom out of the water we'd have to stack the boom in it's container and often would find either one or two of the pieces laying on the ground. Had to order the special punches and probably about 2-300 sets of weights to replace those that came off the booms. Each boom was over 500 feet in length. We'd put them out around a barge or tanker after they were moored and in the event of an oil spill it would already be contained. Frank

They are SUPER soft as they are rather thin. Softer than most pure lead I've had sheets of before. But that might just be how thin they are. Never had anything quite this thin before.
    There are discs and squares both with holes stamped through. The squares also have a texture applied to them, like a baby corrugation.

ALL of them are marred in some way. Twisted, rolled,split, crunched up good, etc. I'm guessing these are 2nds or rejects from something.

Boolit Grand Master

I've seen thin sheets of both brass and lead used as gasket material. You box looks like some of the stuff after the gasket is cut to shape.