WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: What size for 500 S&W Pistol to get

Boolit Buddy

What size for 500 S&W Pistol to get

I looking at NOE molds So wonder what size both ways. 501 etc. and what weight. For shooting not hunting

Moderator Emeritus

I had a X-frame S&W 500 with 4" barrel.
    I have a .501 550gr Round Nose Plain Base 3 cav. NOE mold from a group buy, I don't know if NOE still offers it? It dropped boolits right at .501 with COWW alloy.

I also have a Iron 3 cavity Ballisti-cast mold 385gr RF. I only mention that, because I prefer that lighter boolit (to the NOE 550gr) for target shooting with the 4" X-Frame.

I also have the Lee 440gr. I prefer this with a GC for Hot loads.

that's my 2˘

PS, I wouldn't want anything lighter than 350gr
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I was looking at his 383 Gas checked but he has it not in stock every time i looked in any flavor. Slim Pickings in 500.

Moderator Emeritus

yeah, NOE is nearing the end of his year end sale, I bet it's slim pickings in all calibers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Vendor Sponsor

A note on sizing for the 500.. Heavyweight LFN style boolits in this caliber will often grow as they age harden, depending on the antimony in the alloy the can grow as much as .0015" so a word of caution may be in order, if you size to fit throats with these, I would not load a considerable amount of rounds and allow them to sit on a shelf, as they may not chamber in a few months. I would load what I intend to shoot in a given amount of time and shoot them within that period.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.