Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Contender 32 mag rifle interesting results

Boolit Buddy

Red face Contender 32 mag rifle interesting results

I have a tc custom shop 24" 32 mag bbl that shoots well with the rcbs 98 swc, lymans 311008, and 311316. It usually stays in 1" to 1.5" at 50 yds. Just for fun i tried the lyman 311414 spitzer over a modest charge of 2400, and wow does this combo shoot! Most groups .6" to 1" depending on exact charge. This will require further investigation, for sure.

Good going! Sounds like you're having fun.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    What twist is the TC barrel?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

That is a carbine barrel on my short list. Would also love 32ACP, 357 mag and 41 mag.

Boolit Buddy
    Im not sure of the twist outpost75, i will have to check when i get back to town next week. It is whatever the tc custom shop provided. The neat thing about the 311414 is its long bore riding nose. It measures .301 and fits the tc bbl perfectly, stopping just short of the 1st driving band when dropped into the muzzle.

Moderator Emeritus

You will have a ton of fun with that. Those of us shooting the 30 badger [30/38 special] have seen a 1 in 10 twist accurately shoot 98-170 gr bullets.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I used to shoot a 32h&r for ihmsa big bore. Loaded with a 210 gr. Bore rider, it would take the rams no problem and was super accurate. These little guns are just fun!

Boolit Buddy
    What sort of load did you use with the 210 gr Nobade? I have a lyman 311299 mold (about 199 gr in #2 alloy) I use in my 30/40 and 30/06. It works darn well in my savage 24 30/30 too!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMoccasin View Post
    What sort of load did you use with the 210 gr Nobade? I have a lyman 311299 mold (about 199 gr in #2 alloy) I use in my 30/40 and 30/06. It works darn well in my savage 24 30/30 too!
    It's been a lot of years ago, but I seem to remember that WC820 (AA#9) worked well. Powder selection is touchy with that setup, since it's such a small case and big bullet. Lil' Gun and 2400 should also be in the ballpark.

Boolit Buddy
    Outpost, as best as I can determine, using a tight fitting patch, it has a 1-10 twist.

Boolit Mold
    I have really wanted a 32 in the T/C as I enjoy the T/C and my 32's.
    I bought a 32-20 barrel and have started a whole new reloading. The 32-20 in T/C is not really 32-20. It's called 30-20.

The part that boggles my mind is the bullet is not .312 or .313 like all other 32's, it's .308
    I've had to buy new dies and new bullets just for it. I don't get the logic of that change.
    I have never seen a T/C 30-20 cartridge for sale.

Is there anyone who can explain why T/C would do such a thing?

Lost
    Does the 32 H&R mag in T/C have the standard diameter .312 - .313 or the .308?

Boolit Grand Master

Is there anyone who can explain why T/C would do such a thing?

So Nobade and many others could use .308 match bullets to "shoot a 32h&r for ihmsa big bore:.

Lost
    Does the 32 H&R mag in T/C have the standard diameter .312 - .313 or the .308?

It has the .308 groove diameter for the reason I mentioned. My TC 32 H&R barrel does.

I have tried for some time to get the custom shops that make TC barrels to make me a 16" twist 24" barrel with a groove diameter of .311 or .312 chambered in 32 H&R for some years w/o success. I would even settle for a 16" to 18" twist 24" .308 barrel chambered in 30 Carbine and offered to send them the barrel........but to no avail either.........
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 01-06-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Right on. They have a big tapered throat and shoot factory ammo with .312" bullets just fine, but with the 1:10 twist and .308" groove dia. they'll shoot big rifle bullets too. I think it was a good decision, more versatile that way.

Banned
    I have had a .32 H & R Mag. for over 25 years. I size bullets down to .309 and they shoot fine. Am going to load some of the SWC 98 grain, sized .309 in my 30-30. If I were going to purchase a rifle barrel, I would Try MGM. Very pleased with the two barrels I have purchased from them.

Boolit Buddy
    'MGM will make you a .311 32 H&R barrel any length you want up to 27" I think. 1 in 10" twist though. even with a 10" twist, mine shoots 85gr bullets, jacketed or cast, very well.

Boolit Grand Master
    I always thought that the 32 H&R would be a perfect cartridge for the original, flat side Winchester low wall. I even went so far as to rechambering a barrel a d bushing the breech block of a 32 RF to try it out... of course those bores were way wrong for .311 cast bullets, but it was fun to shoot, and with a proper barrel to start from, it should have been a super little rifle for plinking and woods walking. The 32-20 in its original configuration was a popular and successful caliber for the low wall, and the 32 H&R, properly loaded, should have been as good or better.

Regards,
    Froggie

PS If I were going to spend the money to have a custom barrel built for a TC or other modern, strong single shot, you can bet I'd have it chambered for 327 Federal Magnum so it could be used for the whole gamut of straight side 32 pistol class cartridges. It sure worked out good for my revolver projects.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    A 327 in a rifle might just make a close range deer rifle with the right bullet. I have a friend who's young son has taken several deer with a 22 hornet. Close range, carefully placed shots.