WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2484 9mm PC Bullets in my Toaster Oven

Boolit Master

2484 9mm PC Bullets in my Toaster Oven

I just set my all time record for the number of 9mm powder coated bullets cured in a single cook in my Hamilton Beach Countertop Toaster Oven. 621 bullets per rack times 4 racks = 2484 total. I made it happen by packing them in tight spaced with the help of a stainless wire cooling grate. My self closing tweezers were used to place the bullets, which is the fastest method I have found. The bullets were set the bullets on silicone cooking mats. The mats keep the bullets from sliding like they do on foil or parchment, so even an old man could walk 4 trays to the oven without toppling.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	231_1_1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	231656Click image for larger version. 

Name:	232_1_1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	231657Click image for larger version. 

Name:	233_1_1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	245.4 KB 
ID:	231658

Boolit Master

You have TALENT
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    You have TALENT
    As well as more patience than many self at top of that list... (I have NONE)

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    You have TALENT
    Can't sing, dance, draw, paint or tell funny jokes, but I can still PC bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    That would have collapsed my flimsy PC table! Well done!

Boolit Master

My oven is only big enough for 1 sheet at a time, actually will hold 2 but that requires I get the second in without bumping anything. Well done!

Boolit Buddy
    That’s an awesome accomplishment. What is the model number of your oven? I am in the market for a new oven.

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting point about the silicone mats. I may have to order a couple of them while Amazon is doing the free shipping with no minimum. I am coating in one building and then carrying the trays over to my shop 10' away where the oven is located. I did find this to be a bit of a balancing act with the weight of that tray and the slick surface of the foil.

Are you using shake 'n bake? I had been my Lyman 1200 tumbler and it worked great but the last try was a bust. I did change colors but I suspect humidity was the issue. I could not get the powder to stick at all. I will switch back to the first color and if that does not work I will run the electric heat for a while to try to get the humidity down.

Boolit Master

BOY HOWDY !!!!!

That is impressive. But now ya gotta load 'em all.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

That is so AWESOME! I bet it took a while to get up to temperature? Would you mind sharing the brand of silicone mat used? I would order some from Amazon if I knew the best ones to get.

Also, is that Smoke’s Yellow-Green?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobass View Post
    That is so AWESOME! I bet it took a while to get up to temperature? Would you mind sharing the brand of silicone mat used? I would order some from Amazon if I knew the best ones to get.

Also, is that Smoke’s Yellow-Green?
    I am still using the original silicon mats I purchased from Costco back in 2012. Actually, my wife bought the mats and suggested I try them instead of using up all the non-stick foil. After the first cook I have not used anything else. I purchased more mats thinking the originals would wear out but they are still going strong. Since then I have purchased mats for my other ovens. I saw Costco had the same package of three mats on sale last week for $9.95.

Name:	IMG_20181210_090801995_1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	231836
    Last edited by Dragonheart; 12-10-2018 at 11:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scotner View Post
    Are you using shake 'n bake? I had been my Lyman 1200 tumbler and it worked great but the last try was a bust. I did change colors but I suspect humidity was the issue. I could not get the powder to stick at all. I will switch back to the first color and if that does not work I will run the electric heat for a while to try to get the humidity down.
    Yes, I use the shake & bake, but I converted a couple of small unused tumblers for the purpose, since my big Dillon tumbler is all I need for case polishing.
    The problem I found using a regular tumbler is they are too aggressive. I replaced the bowl on the tumbler with a 5 gallon (#5 recycle code) paint bucket held in place with a 1/4-20 machine screw in the bottom center of the bucket. The bucket sits on a 1/2" piece of rubber floor mat cut round to match the bottom of the bucket. The tumbler base sits on 2-1/2" pieces of plywood, the upper sheet with a round cut out to match the bottom of the tumbler. 2-3/8" all threads hold the bucket in place and by tightening the nuts down the amount of vibration can be adjusted. I installed a simple toggle switch for easy on/off. I typically coat 5-6 pounds of bullets. The bucket lid keeps in the powder when it is tumbling. If humidity is high I can let the bullets tumble for as long as I want or preheat the bullets under 150 degrees and drop them into the running tumbler; they start to coat immediately. When done I dump the lot into a #5 dishpan, available at the dollar store. From there it is easy to pick out the bullets. If I drop a bullet and damage the coating I just drop it back in the pan and give it a shake and the coating is restored. A shake of the pan will expose more bullets.

Name:	SAM_1736.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	231830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1738.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	231831

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    That’s an awesome accomplishment. What is the model number of your oven? I am in the market for a new oven.
    Both my ovens are Hamilton Beach Countertop Convection Toaster Ovens the first one I started using in 2012 was one we already had and seldom used it is Model #HB31197s.

The second one model #31104 I found at a Goodwill Store for $20 less my senior discount of 30%. Both the ovens originally came with two wire racks. I found a number of wire racks that were the same depth, but longer, also at the Goodwill store for a couple of bucks each. It was a simple process to cut them down to size and TIG weld back together. All my racks I covered front to back with galvanized roof flashing to give me a hard flat surface.

Name:	SAM_1764_1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	231838Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181210_090553887_1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	231839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1501_1.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	231840Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1502_1.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	231841

Boolit Master
    To answer the powder color question; I do recommend Smoke's Powder, but I also have a long standing relationship with Prismatic Powder, which produce excellent powders in more than 6000 colors. But not all of the Prismatic Powders will tumble coat, all of smokes's will. If you stay with the Prismatic Solid Colors they all seem to work. This particular Prismatic green powder is Bright Green PESGR-400-G9. I ended up buying 5 pounds of it on a special deal. It will tumble coat and covers with a single coat, but my original plan for this powder is to powder coat my Billy Goat yard vacuum after this season of picking up leaves, since some of the body parts have lost their original finish.

Boolit Buddy
    Good plan but “splain” something to me ... How are you going to get that Billy Goat into your toaster oven.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    Good plan but “splain” something to me ... How are you going to get that Billy Goat into your toaster oven.
    My plan is to disassemble the Billy Goat vacuum. I only use it during the winter for leaves so it is in use right now, because we have a lot of leaves. Hopefully most of the parts will be smaller pieces. As long as I don't run into any pieces longer than 28-1/2"" it will fit into my converted 30" wall oven. I got the oven for free from a neighbor because the all digital control went out and she didn't want to spend hundreds on a new circuit board. I installed an inexpensive PID and now the oven will maintain its temp within a couple of degrees. If I run into something that won't fit into the oven I built a prototype shortwave infrared curing lamp a few months ago to cure without an oven. The prototype worked and would cure an area about 6"x14" then would have to be moved. I never built the final version because I wanted to use mirror stainless steel, which I didn't have at the time, now that I do I will put the lamp at the top of my project list if it is needed.

Name:	SAM_2265.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	231965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2266.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	231966

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I really need to pick up some of those mats. I have a full size oven in my shop and it hold several trays of bullets but tinfoil is slick and so is paper.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Yes, I use the shake & bake, but I converted a couple of small unused tumblers for the purpose, since my big Dillon tumbler is all I need for case polishing.
    The problem I found using a regular tumbler is they are too aggressive. I replaced the bowl on the tumbler with a 5 gallon (#5 recycle code) paint bucket held in place with a 1/4-20 machine screw in the bottom center of the bucket. The bucket sits on a 1/2" piece of rubber floor mat cut round to match the bottom of the bucket. The tumbler base sits on 2-1/2" pieces of plywood, the upper sheet with a round cut out to match the bottom of the tumbler. 2-3/8" all threads hold the bucket in place and by tightening the nuts down the amount of vibration can be adjusted. I installed a simple toggle switch for easy on/off. I typically coat 5-6 pounds of bullets. The bucket lid keeps in the powder when it is tumbling. If humidity is high I can let the bullets tumble for as long as I want or preheat the bullets under 150 degrees and drop them into the running tumbler; they start to coat immediately. When done I dump the lot into a #5 dishpan, available at the dollar store. From there it is easy to pick out the bullets. If I drop a bullet and damage the coating I just drop it back in the pan and give it a shake and the coating is restored. A shake of the pan will expose more bullets.

Name:	SAM_1736.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	231830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1738.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	231831
    Thanks for the info. My silicone mats will be here Tuesday. Will study your method in more detail and see if I can get something along those lines to work for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    I really need to pick up some of those mats. I have a full size oven in my shop and it hold several trays of bullets but tinfoil is slick and so is paper.
    Sounds like you have the making of a perfect setup. I have only used my full size oven twice for bullets. The half size 13x18 commercial aluminum baking sheets they sell at Costco work great in standard ovens, but fully loaded they are heavy with 900 9mm bullets on a pan. I built two more racks for my oven so I have four. The sheet pans come two to a package and the silicon mats are half sheet size also so they fit the pans perfectly. Also my cooling grid I use for a spacer is half sheet size so it fits in the pan. I found it worked best for me to fill up the pan then slide it in on the lower rack then lift off the grid and repeat until the 4 racks were full. Keeping the grid in place keeps the bullets from toppling while carrying to the oven.
    It takes a while for 3600 bullets to come up to 400 degrees so I just let the PID control the temp and put a cheap thermocouple made in china under the silicon mat in one of the middle pans before I start loading the bullets on in the pan. The small wire is not a problem other than it dangling while carrying the pan. Once the pan is in place I plug the thermocouple into the thermometer. That seem to give me a good read when the bullets are up to 400 degrees and I start the timer adding extra time to be sure. I also just let the oven cool down so that also increases the time at temp. I have never had an undercured coating doing it that way.

Name:	IMG_20181212_082142664_1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	231982

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    If you use non stick aluminum foil the non stick side isnt even that slick. I can walk my little tray with 200+ 30 cal projectiles all the way downstairs where my PC oven is without having them fall over. Problem with those silicone mats is that PC actually sticks to those and I had hard time keeping those clean. I find it easier to use non stick foil so thats what I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast