RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Cabelas/investarms 50 cal. Hawken

Boolit Buddy

Cabelas/investarms 50 cal. Hawken

I was wondering if the cabelas 50 cal made in Italy percussion rifles were any good? I have a chance to trade for one that is unfired. 200 dollars for it. Any input would be appreciated. I am pretty partial to the T/C sidelocks.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Yes they are. I believe those are the same folks that makes the barrels for the Lyman Great Plains Rifle.
    I have one in .54 and it is a fine rifle.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, Investarms makes guns for Lyman and Cabela's. You can usually get an Investarms branded gun for less money that a Lyman branded gun. I bought 2 Investarms Hawken rifles back in 1979 or 1980. One for myself and one for my dad. I still have mine. I also have an Investarms Kentucky rifle as well as 2 Investarms gallyon shotguns and they are all well made firearms. Where I am the Hawken would not last long at $200.00 being unfired.
    Last edited by BPJONES; 12-07-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    for shooting patched round ball the investarms rifles are better then the tc Hawkins

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the input I think I will get it. About all I shoot is roundballs.

Banned

I started deer hunting with one of those Investarms in .50 caliber 21 years ago, I had been casting and handloading for a long time, and the Kansas muzzle loader season worked better for my work schedule, so Dad gave me one. Got the Lyman Plains bullet mold and used 90-100 grains of Pyrodex RS. The only thing I did to mine was have some XS Ghost ring sights installed. Good rifle, and was my primary deer hunting rifle for quite a few years.

Attachment 231684Attachment 231685Attachment 231686

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Snatch that thing up. It's a great price.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Got one as a .50 caliber flintlock kit from Cabelas about ten years ago. Lots of fun putting it together and it shoots well with a .490 RB and pillow ticking over 65 grains of 3F. I don't hunt with it, just punch holes in paper but it's accurate enough to take a deer out past 50 yds.

Banned

imo, the investarms are among the better offshore sidelocks, rebranded as lyman, cabela, dixie gun works, and others.

most are 1:48 rifling or greater twist and fine for patched balls. however, some are 1:32 twist and meant for conicals.

they all have patent breeches (including the T/C), so some added care with fouling control and cleaning will be required.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought the cabelas hawken 50 by investarms and finally took it to the range yesterday. It done what you all said it would. I loaded 60 grains of goex 2f and a .490 round ball patched with some pillow ticking. The rifle shot great, I shot a nice 3 shot cloverleaf and a fourth shot about a inch away at 25 yards. I am really tickled with the way it shoots. Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it...…………..Curdog Oh and I didn't have to adjust the sights.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought an Investarms Hawken a number of years ago used. Beautiful walnut stock!!! Inletting was also very good. It's a 54 cal. Cap lock. Very pleased with it.