Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Interest for a wide meplat 45 Auto Rim solid?

Interest for a wide meplat 45 Auto Rim solid?

I’d be interested in a wide meplat 260-ish grain solid design for a 45 Auto Rim. Something with a .4” or longer nose and correspondingly short base to crimp groove measurement to maximize powder space. Saw this LBT design on another forum and thought a similar design in a 6 cavity aluminum mold from Miha would be ideal.
    Attachment 231649

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Accurate has these available now for 3-week delivery and you can customize diameter for your alloy:

Attachment 231650Attachment 231651Attachment 231652Attachment 231653Attachment 231654
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Tom builds really nice molds. The one thing he doesn’t offer that I would like is a 6 cavity configuration like Miha makes. That Miha comes in at less than $100 on a GB price is icing on the cake.

Boolit Master
    Here's one we're trying to get interest in. Meplat's don't get any wider than that.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...r-Mold-453-395

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Tom Does 5 cavity's. The nice thing about them compared to the LEE design is it is smaller and lighter. And he has the hole drilled in the sprue plate so you can use a LEE style sprue cutter handle, although I have never needed it on the 7-8 moulds I have bought from him. Yes, they are more expensive than a Miha GB, but you get it now and you can get exactly what you want.

Your mileage may vary, but I have not had favorable results at ranges over 50-yards, with large meplat bullets more than 0.8 of the bullet diameter in subsonic loads, as are required in the .455 Webley, Auto Rim, .44 Special, etc. Perhaps in full-charge .44 Magnum, etc. they do work, but not at molderate 700-900 fps levels suitable for older pre-WW2 revolvers.

I would sure love to see targets from those whose expereience is otherwise.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Your mileage may vary, but I have not had favorable results at ranges over 50-yards, with large meplat bullets more than 0.8 of the bullet diameter in subsonic loads, as are required in the .455 Webley, Auto Rim, .44 Special, etc. Perhaps in full-charge .44 Magnum, etc. they do work, but not at molderate 600-800 fps levels suitable for older pre-WW2 revolvers.

I would sure love to see targets from those whose experience is otherwise. Below 100-yard target fired with .455 Webley MkVI and a 25-yard target fired from same gun. Fairly typical.

Attachment 231730Attachment 231731
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

.45autorim bullet

I sure do like the look`s of the bullet in the first picture.

Boolit Master

Heavier than you want, but the LEE 300 is what you need, I believe. I have reloading data from an old NRA guide for bluedot in a 45 auto rim with a 300 grain bullet.

Boolit Master
    What’s wrong with getting it from LBT?

I know they’re expensive & only 4-cavity, but why not get exactly what you want, now?’

That looks like a WFN.

Boolit Master

I like the look of LBT "Ogival Wadcitters" - I could see a mold similar to these - But with a meplat no larger than .75% of the total diameter. I believe Dog Guy may have experimented with these a bit. I always wanted to. For those of us with S & W 25-2's with large throats, i'd hope to see an option for at least .454/.455
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    I may be swayed for one of these. To use in my 450 BM.

Accurate 45-264D was designed to provide the absolute minimal 0.25" seating depth. The purposes for doing so are to maintain powder capacity and reduce pressure in the shorter Starline, Hornady and Fiocchi .455 Mk2 cases, which are 0.76" long. The bullet also features a 0.1 wide, full-diameter front driving band above the crimp groove. This aids cartridge alignment when using the shorter 0.76" Mk2 cases in Webley military, S&W Hand Ejector and Colt New Service revolvers originally manufactured having longer chambers, intentionally dimensioned for the longer Mk1 0.86" (Colt-Eley) case, so that those WW1-era revolvers could fire either round.

Attachment 236025

My mold drops .456" diameter and 262 grains in 12 BHN backstop scrap of unknown composition.
    I load 3.5 grains of Bullseye in the .455 Mk2 for the Webley MkVI, 4 grains in the .45 Auto Rim for the S&W M1917, and 4.5 grains in the .45 Schofield for use in the .45 Colt New Service.

With the .425" nose length Ctg. OAL is 1.185" in Starline .455 Mk2, 1.285" in Dominion .455 Eley, 1.323" in R-P .45 Auto Rim and 1.525 in Starline .45 Schofield. In .45 Colt brass when crimped in crimp groove OAL would be 1.71, which is too long for most rifles and revolvers, but "might" work in NMB Ruger, but I haven't tried it. A charge of 7.5 grains of Bullseye would be a good "full charge" .45 Colt load for the Rugers IF the cylinder is long enough...
    Last edited by Outpost75; 02-14-2019 at 09:08 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I really like the look of that LBT bullet in the OP.........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Accurate’s 45-265DG has a devastating .4 meplat, but only a .285 nose. That’s not going to leave much room in a .45 AR case.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Accurate has these available now for 3-week delivery and you can customize diameter for your alloy:

Attachment 231650Attachment 231651Attachment 231652Attachment 231653Attachment 231654
    I can’t view any of the attachments.

Got any other pics or the accurate mold number?