Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sporty's Warehouse going under?

Boolit Grand Master

Sporty's Warehouse going under?

There is speculation that the Columbia, SC store is going under. Word has it that they're $3,000,000 in the hole to a major clothing mfg'r., one of the nation's biggest powder mfg'rs. has pulled it's contract with them and gone to a competitor and a few firearms distributers will no longer sell to them because of failure to pay. Seems the owner just bought ANOTHER jet for his FAMILY, but won't pay his bills.

Notice the names have been changed to protect me?

Moderator Emeritus
    The store in Michigan went out after less than a year in business... Michigan's economy isn't very good though.

I guess I better use the remaining certificates I have, just in case

John

That's the American way... You start a business with a loan from the bank, you stock all your merchandise on credit, you put all your friends and family on payroll, and don't forget yourself... You push it as far as you can as long as you can, then file bankruptcy and stick someone else for the bill. Wait a year or two and repeat. Almost forgot: Just before you close the doors you have a big cash only sale and pocket the money.

The store in Glendale Arizona went Tango Uniform, but I assumed that was because of Cabela's opening up around the corner.

I have never shopped in a store with worse inventory control than Sportsman's Warehouse. Don't get me wrong, I like the store and it's policies -- they just never have things in stock. The needs of sportsmen in Arizona are very different than those in Minnesota. But, their inventory system does not allow for these regional differences. So, we have a fourth of the store devoted to fly fishing in a location where there are no cold water streams for hundreds of miles. Meanwhile, cowboy shooters -- who number in the thousands in these parts -- cannot find the supplies they require with regularity at SW.

The employees have tried to feed this information up the line with no success.

Whoever owns this outfit is missing the boat and huge amounts of sales and profits.

Too bad for everyone concerned.

Boolit Master

too bad

Competition is usually a good thing. SW in the various locations always had some good outdoorsy eye candy. I can't argue with anything posted so far. Top management always seemed distant and non-responsive to the local markets and their own local managers. Not to mention that with the instant and easily read inventory control print-outs based on sales where popular items were/are never re-ordered in numbers appropriate to the numbers being sold???? I always scratched my head about the turkey hunting stuff in their Anchorage AK store

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Now, that is what WalMart excells in. They have mastered product items and shelves to the maximum. Can't tell you the dollars they spend on data processing. Prolly more than what the government spends on their CesnusTract and IRS data together. ... felix
    felix

my daughter in law works at one in Wa state,and says the hadwriting is on the wall for her store...hours being cut,inventories being allowed to dwindle,etc.
    Nearest Cabela's is over an hour away so doubt that they are the reason.

too bad,they are a nice place to shop for me for powder selection and other reloading needs.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009

Red face

throckmorton.

i have noticed the one in salem having a hard time keeping items in the store. but in salem, oregon they kind of have the market cornered. i hope not i like them and the only cabela's store i went to the people were not friendly and i was not impressed.

Banned

hell they can't put anything in stock, they aren't allowed to put more then 2 of anything out.
    mainly cause they don't have it.
    try getting 8 lbs of 4895 either one.
    or 4831 or 2400 or... gas checks or.... brass or anything that isn't 38/357 or 30-06 related.
    they are and started out as a distributer in utah.
    but you could buy stuff in the store as cheap as you could fromthem.

i'll stop before i get started.

Banned

I was in SPokane last winter and there was one in Spkokane, then the new Cabelas had just opened up. I would imagine it's prettya hard to compete with Cabelas on a lot of that stuff.

Just last year guys were singing the praises of SW here at Cast Boolits.

Boolit Bub
    MCCAIN pulled out his campaine out of the state of michigan because obama had such a big lead there, that does not help their economy over there in that state at all, how can they support O BAMA when Michigan is suppose to be a big hunter's & sportsman's state ?

Boolit Master
    redtail, you will find that most of Michigan does support McCain. Obama voters are from the Detroit area, this is why are Senators are always dems, its not the rest of us outstate, oh by the way, I'm in southwest MI, across the lake from Chicago, our economy is not perfect, but it's a lot better than Detroit.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Just last year guys were singing the praises of SW here at Cast Boolits.
    Yup. And things change, don't they, Pat?

ADMIN

the SW just opened up in Sept 06, just over 2 years ago.
    I am gonna stop by there today to purchase some M-Pro 7 cleaner since they are the only ones around here that stock it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Yup. And things change, don't they, Pat?

Yeah- holy cow one year ago and everything was different. Well it can improve just as fast also. You never know. I've spent to much time over the past 10 years thinking about doom and gloom and I'm not going to do it anymore.

Of course not living in the city with gangbangers and grafiti has helped tremendously..

Moderator Emeritus

I have always found SW cheaper than Cabela's until this year. The local outfits still beat both if they have it in stock. If not Graf & Sons get most of my purchases.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

They are building a SW here. Not quite completed but looks like it should be done some where around Xmas. We are starved for good sportsmans stores here that deal with gun stuff!
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy lead View Post
    redtail, you will find that most of Michigan does support McCain. Obama voters are from the Detroit area, this is why are Senators are always dems, its not the rest of us outstate, oh by the way, I'm in southwest MI, across the lake from Chicago, our economy is not perfect, but it's a lot better than Detroit.
    Nice part of the country as I remember from my office furniture days. Met a lot of people who hunted and fished. I think most places closed opening day of deer season.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

I cant speak to there buisness model or to there future, but I like there stores they beat Cabelas price. They have also supported alot of local shoots my match being one of them Cabelas doesnt have the time of day for small match's or clubs it would be a shame if the fold IM sure cabelas will raise there prices even more....
    Ill be as nice as you let me and as mean as you make me, your Choice

Boolit Master
    Never went to their store(not one near here) but have bought from cateloge. Bass P quit stocking reloading supplies so I shop at Cabeleas when I'm in the area(not often 60 miles away) I have been buying most from Midway or grafs. Pick up powder local.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast