WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .41 Magnum 3-Screw Ruger

.41 Magnum 3-Screw Ruger

Just bought a '66 vintage 3-Screw Ruger in .41 Magnum with 4-5/8" bbl. It'll make a good companion to the two other .41's down in the gun room. (a Ruger Flat Top 6-1/2" bbl. and an early 70's vintage S&W M57 with a 6" tube) It's a beauty, in 95%+ condition, but still a shooter...and I'll add, it's nice to get back to the old model/Colt regimen of half cock, then load one, skip one, and load the rest. I bought it for the barrel length and old model action as I've come to cherish my shorter bbl'd guns for their ease of carry on the belt here on the farm.

On initial inspection, I found that the new baby with a 4 digit serial number had recessed chambers...news to me and I've owned a cpl other 60's vintage BH's that I don't recall having that feature. In my opinion, it does give it an elegant look that's lacking on those that aren't recessed. (But does lengthen the easy chore of cylinder cleaning.)

I've cast up a cpl hundred Lyman 410459's that drop from the mold at 0.4105"+-; almost exactly matching the new gun's throats. My other .41's slug out virtually the same. My example of the old Lyman standby is over 40 years old, having bought it new in '72 when I also bought the M57 Smith. They were a good pair then and the old mold is as good now as it ever was back when I had eagle eyes, was bullet proof, and was going to live for ever. It's a single cavity, and drops 'em clean with my ACWW +2% Tin alloy. I'm also lubing with White Label 50-50 lube in a Lyman 450 Lubrisizer. Sure wish Lyman, or anyone else for that matter, would make a 0.411" and 0.412" H&I die as I suspect that my current 0.410" one is a smidge under.

Currently I'm using Unique, & Herco but plan on trying Bullseye, WST, & WSF for Tgt loads and the old police load at ~950 fps. So far, 7.5 gr of Unique works well as does 8.0 gr of Herco giving estimated police loading velocities and superb accuracy...1-1/2" gps at 25 yds from rest, and very satisfying ragged one hole clusters from the 12 yd line with a Weaver Stance.

All that said, I'm looking for load suggestions for upper end, deer hunting loads using the Lyman 410459 and/or Hornady's 210 gr XTP bullet. And too, any comments on the above outline of the gun and work up to date.

Sorry for the lack of pics, as I've not found a substitute method after Photobucket held my pics for ransom over a year ago. What a rip off!

Best Regards, and looking forward to comments. Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 12-06-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Banner Sponsor

When you post the 3rd button from the right lets you post photos directly from your computer.

Thx Lar...I can't get pics from my Iphone to the laptop...DIL may be able to help when she gets here for Xmas.

Boolit Master
    I enjoy the 41 OM's I have. Kudos on finding another one. Kinda addictive for sure.

I want to hijack the thread a little.
    First, on pictures,, I've found "postimage" to be pretty good,, and easy. Lots less **** than photobucket.

ButI'm also intrigued about the "3rd button to the right" mentioned above. I'm computer stupid,, so is that the 3rd button on my keyboard,, or is it a separate thing during the quick reply,, or is it in advanced reply?

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve shot a bunch of the Lyman 410459 ahead of 18gr 2400 and 20gr 296. I believe this is a grain or so under max according to Brian Pearce.

My notes show 21gr 296 and a 210 XTP gives me 1250fps out of my 4-5/8 OMBH and 1700fps out of my Henry lever.

Out of my 4” Smith, 20gr 296 and 410459 gave me 1125 FPS.

Boolit Master
    They are nice guns...beautifully made and finished...

I've had two and sold them both only because the front sight on the early guns was too short and as a result shot way over POA at 25 yards when the rear sight was bottomed out... Will be interested to hear how yours shoots...

Bob

My load for deer for Ruger( back in 3screw days) was 215g #410610 SWC/ 14.5gr Win 630 / WLP
    at approx 1200fps. Win 630 is now obsolete so I went to 18.5gr of H-2400 which is same approx Fps.
    My Ruger had 6"-61/2" barrel. I had one of each Ruger BH in each barrel length they made. I got
    into S&Ws and traded most of them off. I still deer hunt with a 3screw SBH. I don't shot hot loads in
    S&Ws. I got the Ruger SBH about 1964 and it's been shot thousands of times and is tight as day it
    was new. The only thing to watch on the old 3screws is the screws. Keep a check that your screws
    are tight. The Five screws that hold grip frame to main frame. They will shoot loose and will shear if
    you don't keep a eye on them. The early guns didn't have the Nylock screws. I bought them for mine
    because I don't like to use thread dope products on guns.

Boolit Master
    I shoot a little heavier bullet in my 41's, it's a 230 gr from a Saeco mould & 17 grs of 2400 has taken many dozens of deer, also elk, bear, antelope, feral hogs, javelina & countless numbers of small game. Never recovered a bullet & my OM shorty loved that load! I did have to build up my front sight with JB Weld & then paint it. It comes off pretty easy if you need to take it off.
    My first ever big bore was a 4" model 57 bought in 1967, used for $100.

Dick

Boolit Master
    Have a 4" Model 57 pinned and recessed and love it.

Thanks one and all....and especially for the advice on keeping track of the frame screw tension. I'll ck 'em on this 'new to me' gun. I had a cpl three-screws back in the early 70's but don't recall any problem with the screws, but memory comes and goes with age...as some of you younger guys will eventually learn!

And thanks too, for the upper end loads, Osteo and DRM. Currently, I've found that 7.5 gr of Unique and 8.0 gr of Herco with Lyman's 410459 require a bottomed out elevation screw for top of front sight post impacts at 25 yds. Fine with me, as I don't plan to try anything heavier. For the most part, I carry lighter loads here on the farm, i.e.: those from 900-1000 fps, which seem to do most of what needs to be done.

Keep the info coming, fellow shooters, it's nice to discuss a gun that hasn't been made since I was in my early '30s.

Lastly, any comments on the recessed chambers? They were a complete surprise to me.

Rod

Boolit Master
    If you have not seen it, lots of good posts and links here....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ad-Data-Center

Boolit Master
    To answer the recessed chambers.
    The OM 41's, 44's & 45's all have recessed chambers for the most part.

Ruger SAs, at least in the 3screws would run out of sight adjustment because front sights were to short to sight in with magnum loads much under 50yds. Herters sold a line of SAs called Power Mags
    back in 60s. They had a front sight that looked like a tail fin off a 57 Plymoth. We use to make fun of
    them. If truth was known old George Herter might have known what he was doing. Other than my
    SBH all my 357, 41, 44sp, 44mg, 45acp and 45 Colt are all loaded at 750 to 850fps with cast bullets.
    Have one set of S&Ws N frames tuned for target with wad cutters, the 6"-61/2" barrels. Have set of
    S&W 83/8" Ns loaded with a standard cast bullet the gun was designed for and mild in magnums and factory duplication in 44sp-45acp & 45Colt. All but 45acp with Unique. Also my K38s and M15s 38sp
    k frames are all tuned to target WCs cast target loads. I have killed deer with 250FN 45Colt at 800 and even one with 242 WC at 750fps. A cast bullet at 800-900fps out of a 41-44-45 caliber revolver
    is plenty for deer at reasonable range. This is 50yds for me. I have always shot iron sights and when
    I had good eyes and nerves and shot everyday I still limited myself to 50yds.

Boolit Master
    I have a three screw .41 with 4 5/8 barrel. it has a serial number 40-15xxx and it has rebated chambers. it is like new and in altered. also has the ring cut between chambers so you can load six and put the hammer down between the cartage heads.

RJM and Bob...I learned something! Wasn't aware of the rebated chambers in the bigger caliber Ruger OM's. I owned .357 BH's back in the day and can't remember if they were rebated or not. Were they? And thx too, RJM for the link...how I missed that is a mystery...old age I suspect.

DRM: Interesting info in your post...and I've got a well-thumbed Herter's catalogue from the early '60's that's a hoot to read. My first set of reloading dies were Herters, as is my, still in service, Model 3 reloading press ($13 cash money in '62 with money from my paper route and trapline). I fitted the ram with an adapter years later to allow use of RCBS et. al. shell holders.

Then, 15 years ago or so, I upgraded to a Harrell's turret press for its well known superb machining. I also bought a run-out checking rig from Sinclair and found that the Herters press, now 56 years old, produced rifle rounds with less than 0.003" run-out...about the same as the Harrell's!

To one and all, the gun continues to surprise...yesterday's efforts with an 8.0 gr load of Jeff Bartlett's Herco clone powder brought 4 shots through the same hole...literally, less than 1/4" ctr to ctr, from a standing Weaver Stance position at 10 yds. then I looked too closely and palmed the 5th one out to the right for an inch and a quarter overall gp. This with ACWW's & Lyman's 410459 LSWC sized to 0.410". This load feels a bit more robust than 7.5 gr of Unique with the same bullet, leading me to suspect that this lot of Bart's Herco, is a bit faster than commercial Alliant Herco. My chrono's down for the count at present, but Son#2 is coming to the farm for Christmas and is bringing his for load work up. We'll see!

Thanks guys...one and all. Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 12-08-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Boolit Master
    just checked three of my four 357 oms. none are rebated. I looked at some of the .22 oms. they all are. the 30 carbine is and the my 1962 super Blackhawk in .44 mag. is rebated also.

My OM BH has a 4 digit s/n ,no prefix, it is rebated. I never found a load it wouldn't shoot well I started loading for it with an old 40-60 Whitney mold lapped out to .410. Now using a RCBS 210 gr. SWC over a large charge of 2400 or Unique . It was my CCW gun for years
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Thx guys...the gun continues to please...starting to think about cutting out a new set of grips for it...a slightly thicker version of the standard Ruger walnut type, with a bit of palm swell in the right stock screw area, called "Gunfighter" by one of the commercial grip makers. They've helped all of my other Rugers...and a special thanx to CLC grips for tipping me off on fitting the bottom locating screw years ago.

Last week, I stitched up my version of a good Tom Threepersons open top holster for it with just a mite of stamping along the stitch lines. Stained LEO black, and with a black pig-skin lining, it's a looker. My version leaves the muzzle end open for water/debris drainage, and does less damage to the muzzle and ejection rod bluing over time. This one's a very shallow cross draw, that can be worn strong side as well in the 2-3 o'clock position. I'll probably end up doing another for my more usual, 4 o'clock carry position when the mood strikes me after the holidays.

I'll post some pics of the gun, loads and new holster when Son#1 shows up with his brood for Xmas...he's the phone/pic/computer interface guru here.

Merry Christmas to all, Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 12-18-2018 at 10:36 PM.

No one quote me, but I thought it was a Old model/ New model transition thing. There's a real reason for the "Rebated" cylinders, in the early Magnum Revolvers. "Some"Early Shell Casings, were of "Balloon" Construction, and the Rims could potentially blow out! That's Why Any Rimfire Revolver has Rebated cylinders, and needs to maintain good Headspace, or brass and powder burns in your hands will be the reward.
    The Balloon Construction was Common in early Black Powder loads and as popular Cartridges converted to Smokeless powder, the increase in power could Easily blow out a case. And with Handloaders, and "Magnum" Craze, it Could be Disaster, If you got a Balloon .44 Special case, mixed in with HOT +P Loads!NewCase construction doesn't require the Rebated cylinders, and saves machining Expense, and materials. I seem to remember an article about the decision process Ruger went through in making these design changes.
    It was a huge study to determine if the "Risks" Outweighed the Benefits, or if it was the other way around.
    There is No such thing as "Gravity",,,,,,,the World just Sucks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41RIVET WITH 2400 2012-06-15.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	232318

The .41 Blackhawk can be about like having a one handed 40-65.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast