Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In need of warm boots

Banned
    I used to do a lot of ice fishing here in Wisconsin. Always wore Sorels. Was gone to warmer climates for almost 30 years. When I got back I was going to buy Sorels. My brother advised against that. "That is obsolete stuff" he claimed. Far far better warm foot ware now for cheaper money. I got some Sorels at the 2nd hand store for a couple of bucks with brand new inserts so I used them for the couple of times ice fishing that I went. If I was younger and was going to do more ice fishing I would google the new much warmer stuff. Also as someone has mentioned ...electric socks... That technology is now very viable. It used to be that you would need a motorcycle battery to have enough power for extended electric socks but now ... not so anymore.
    I wish I could be of more help by giving specific names brands etc...this is just what I have found out.

Banned
    30 second search turned this up. If I were gearing for ice fishing and had $300 for boots...this is what I would get... https://winterboots.com/baffin-apex-...ter-boots.html

Boolit Grand Master

Tried a bunch and these are still the best https://www.charleyssurplus.com/bunn...h-chbbecw.html but beware the non GI ones are not close to the real ones.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Genuine-M...aad3aa4490d85e

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    After too many years of frozen feet -- I finally learned a "secret". To wit, TWO pairs of socks makes all the difference in the world. Get a pair of thin, poly socks from a ski center or sporting goods store. They're not cheap -- the ones I use run about $9.00 a pair. Then, atop them put on a pair of good wool ski socks. I had been a strong proponent of Sorel's -- I have two pair of the leather outers, with felt inner models, and swore by them. Ice fishing, sledding, and unheated hockey rinks -- they did "OK". However, when I learned, and tried, the 2-sock trick -- MY quest for a "better" boot ceased. A neighbor does similar as I do, forever always thanking me, but Carl "adds" putting his foot in a plastic bag from a loaf of white bread, which he claims even makes it more comfortable. HOWEVER, to my way of thinking, the two-sock's tremendous heat retention advantage is due to moisture-wicking, keeping your skin DRY -- and thusly, warm. I noted what Carl does -- as an option -- but, frankly, I've never had the need. Just a thought to try this, before purchasing new boots.
    geo
    I spent many cold days in the woods hunting until I learned how to ski and found how warm those thin ski clothes are. I do the same and don't tie my boots or zip up my clothes until I'm done walking to limit sweet.

Boolit Master
    These always worked for me hunting and snowmobiling in Vermont.
    https://www.kamik.com/b2c_us_en/

Boolit Buddy
    Muck Boots. They have a artic or extreme cold model that will work for you. I work in the oilfield and in the last 40 years I have tried every type of boot they have. Haliburton boots, mickey mouse boots designed for military use, Sorrel boots, any boot that has thinsulate. None have ever worked for me until I bought a pair of Muck Chore Boots $40, these babies kept my feet warm or at least tolerable in the worst weather we have in NW OK. I think the reason for the effectiveness of these boots is the neoprene uppers that hold the warmth of your feet and lower legs in without sweating and getting your socks damp. Once your socks are damp you are screwed. Only boot I have ever wore that did not make my feet sweat. One pair of socks and comfy feet. You get a lot colder in Michigan than here but Mucks extreme should work for you. Alot of other companies are now using the neoprene uppers now. The neoprene uppers are pretty much the same as neoprene diving suit material. It would probably be a good bet to try the Muck Chore boots and see what you think. Only $40 to $50 to try their product and see if you want to try their more expensive models or other brands that have the neoprene uppers. My 2 cents worth of standing in a snow drift for 2 hours working on equipment and having warm feet. Oily

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    30 second search turned this up. If I were gearing for ice fishing and had $300 for boots...this is what I would get... https://winterboots.com/baffin-apex-...ter-boots.html
    I have a 2005 model of the Baffin Apex boots. Bar none the warmest I have ever used. I have no feeling in my left big toe after it was damaged (cut off and sewed back on) in a tangle with a road grader. By the time it gets cold its too late so I'm picky about my boots. These really work. I've been on the ice at -40 and have warm toes, frozen tush, but warm toes.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

My problem isn't so much cold feet, but boots that don't fit right. I broke my right tib/fib and blew out my ankle in 99, haven't found a decent pair of cold weather boots since. I've had multiple pairs of different military boots, which feel alright at first, but by the end of a day my feet are killing me, kind of numb in both the toe areas. The boots, for work, that fit me the best are hi-techs, but they're not super warm. I wouldn't mind spending more on a nice pair but I'm afraid I'd waste my money if they turned out to hurt my feet.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

If you want warm boots in extreme temps (-40 ambient and colder), get a pair of good quality surplus 'bunny boots'. They may look goofy, but it's what all of us trappers in AK use. The rest are yuppie posers.

Boolit Grand Master
    I believe one of my problems is that my boots are a bit tight. I have a commercial shoe stretcher....my dad was a shoemaker and have kept that contraption for the last 30 years. So I will try stretching the Irish Setters and layering socks as suggested. If that does not work, the MilSurp bunny boots are worth a try or those Apex’s

Note to self....buy boots one size larger next time....idiot.

BTW, thanks for the advice.
    Don Verna

Banned

When I was stationed up at Fort Richardson, we were issued the Mickey Mouse boots and they aren't as bad to get around in as you'd think when you get used to them, but there were required inspections on them and they stamped the date on the heel. If they develop pinhole leaks in the rubber, they are declared non serviceable. Not sure how you'd go about buying surplus ones and insuring they were still air tight.

Banned
    Back in the 60's we would get mickey mouse boots and bunny boots from Army/Navy surplus stores. They were warm for that era. Bunny boots were my favorite. However they could only be used when the temp was well below freezing. The outside of the boot was felt and if there was any melted water, they would absorb it. So as long as it was like below zero they were pretty darn good. Mickey mouse boots were heavy heavy rubber. Those weighed about 8lbs apiece so I never used them. Maybe good if you didn't have to walk anywhere. Back then Sorels were king for icefishing footwear. And like many have said, if you get em two sizes too big and wear a couple of pairs of heavy wool socks you were pretty good to go. But again, none of these boots compare to the new stuff out there now. I would get those Baffin boots.

Banned
    I think that someone has changed the association of what "bunny boots" are. White mickey mouse boots were called white mickey mouse boots when I was a kid. Bunny boots were the kind with felt on the outside. I much prefer the felt bunny boots. BUT like I said only for weather below sub zero temps. I could only find one instance of these actual bunny boots on the internet. I hope it is ok to post it...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-US-Arm...:rk:2:razz:f:0

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oily View Post
    Muck Boots. They have a artic or extreme cold model that will work for you. I work in the oilfield and in the last 40 years I have tried every type of boot they have. Haliburton boots, mickey mouse boots designed for military use, Sorrel boots, any boot that has thinsulate. None have ever worked for me until I bought a pair of Muck Chore Boots $40, these babies kept my feet warm or at least tolerable in the worst weather we have in NW OK. I think the reason for the effectiveness of these boots is the neoprene uppers that hold the warmth of your feet and lower legs in without sweating and getting your socks damp. Once your socks are damp you are screwed. Only boot I have ever wore that did not make my feet sweat. One pair of socks and comfy feet. You get a lot colder in Michigan than here but Mucks extreme should work for you. Alot of other companies are now using the neoprene uppers now. The neoprene uppers are pretty much the same as neoprene diving suit material. It would probably be a good bet to try the Muck Chore boots and see what you think. Only $40 to $50 to try their product and see if you want to try their more expensive models or other brands that have the neoprene uppers. My 2 cents worth of standing in a snow drift for 2 hours working on equipment and having warm feet. Oily
    I just bought a pair of these last week so far I like them a lot but they cost $100 not 40/or 50 bux
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    When I was stationed up at Fort Richardson, we were issued the Mickey Mouse boots and they aren't as bad to get around in as you'd think when you get used to them, but there were required inspections on them and they stamped the date on the heel. If they develop pinhole leaks in the rubber, they are declared non serviceable. Not sure how you'd go about buying surplus ones and insuring they were still air tight.
    Same as any inflatable, take a small bicycle air pump and air them up, squirt some water with dish soap on them and look for bubbles.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

I wore Mickey boots on the rigs, Sorels for years, Glacier Bears were the best of the Sorels, then I found Kamik just a few years ago. At about half the price of the Sorel -100F rated GBear's these -40F rated Kamik win hands down, 8 hours on the ice doesn't lie.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

.... and the reason I found Kamik was because I went hunting in a town about a 150 miles away from home, stayed one night in a motel and left Sorels in the room when I checked out. As soon as I got home I called and told the lady there what I had done, she told me she hadn't found any pacs and she did the cleaning. Hum, guess her hubby had cold feet!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    If you are not walking much, the white military (mickey mouse also called bunny boots by many) are good to -50. I once waded in about a foot of over flow to help a buddy get his snow machine unstuck. It was about -35 and my boots filled with water. After retrieving his machine, I dumped the water from my Micky boots, rung my socks and put socks and boot back on. After a few minutes my feet were warm again and I finished the day with warm feet. If it's above -15/20 you don't lace the boots and this allows some air circulation to keep your feet from sweating. Sorels work if you buy them two sizes to big and buy a second set of liners of your foot size to put inside the bigger liners. The only problem is you can't get the liners out to dry them without a place to thaw them as the outer liner will freeze to the rubber part of the boot. This happens when tent camping at -50. I used to hunt moose out of Nome in late Dec early Jan using snow machines. The temp was normally -35 or colder. The mickey mouse boots work even wet.

I've become a "Muck fan" (the $100 model) after trying just about every type of boot over the last few decades. Roll down the tops and they are an "easy on and off" boot for clearing the "snowy" driveway; or roll them up and they make decent "ankle waders" when throwing out "decoys". They are warm (and I get "cold feet" easily), but more important, they will keep your feet dry! Not as "bulky" as "Micky's" boots, but much lighter and comfortable to wear hunting. I've not worn them hunting in the "Rocky mountains", so I can say how the "tread" works "climbing", but they work well on all the terrain I've hunted here in Missouri.

Ditto on the military surplus Mickey Mouse and bunny boots. I also has great luck with Sorels.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast