Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart reloading press

Banned

Smart reloading press

Anybody out there got one of these I got one in a bunch of car parts I got in trade looks ok I haven't set it up to see how it works just asking

Boolit Master
    Do a Google search for the press.Most comments are about eight years old.You probably won't like what you find.There is a possibility that you got a decent press.

Boolit Master

They made a big splash a few years back offering Chinese made iron presses at less than aluminum prices. Then the reviews came in. Cast lower linkages breaking, 2 piece ram issues, ram vs die alignment issues.

A few vendors are still trying to dump the excess inventory.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

I have one of the single stage "C" presses. I bought it just to see what the commotion was about. I happened on a Sears site that listed it for $18.00.
    That particular press is fine. The reviews on their electronic scale and vibratory tumbler are vicious.

Boolit Master
    Ive seen a few of them.......pretty typical of absolute cheapest level of chinese cast........the iron is OK,but sometimes the cast contains large blowholes ,which weaken and cause breakage.........probably made on very basic and worn tools........I suspect the most advanced was a drill press with a couple of worn jigs........The biggest problem IMHO was the steel rod used ,very soft, lumpy and out of round.............add all this to a large number of buyers who just wanted to break them........but hey what can you get for $20?....I was given a couple that didnt work,and with a few minutes attention,they were OK.........You cant fix loose (easily),so the sloppy fit ones are scrap,unless you are looking for a project....Verdict....a $2 ex factory....with big profits for the greedy?...Not this time.

I got one of the O frame presses (Omega 800) they put out to hang on the end of the bench for doing small stuff but sent it back as the ram at it's top position had .315 of play in it and about half that in it's lower position as measured with my magnetic base and dial indicator.

Steve..............
    Last edited by Steve E; 12-07-2018 at 12:34 AM.
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    My problem is that almost all of my equipment is already smarter than I am. Sorry, just couldn't resist. I will go back into my corner now.

Boolit Grand Master

I succumbed to my curiosity a few years back and threw away some money on a Smart Reloader press. The only thing good about the press is it has a nice smooth wooden ball on the handle. Everything else is really, really bad. When I got t it felt sloppy and the "action" was gritty. I disassembled it and cleaned it well and it still felt like the holes were cut with a torch and the ram was sloppy in the frame. I tried to size some 38 Special brass and the linkage/leverage is so poorly designed, it was pretty hard to run a case up into the sizing die. I have read many very poor reports on all the equipment sold under the Smart Reloader name (all sloppy copies of decent equipment). But, my press does have a good use; I hung it on the wall over my reloading bench to remind me to never purchase any yellow trash sold under the Smart Reloader name...

I normally refuse to bad mouth any equipment made today because of many reasons some have with reloading tools/equipment and not all are viable (user's poor mechanical abilities, inability to read instructions, misuse of tools, etc.). But I will make an exception with the above named stuff. Normally new reloaders choose inexpensive equipment to get started, but this press would give any new reloader a severely distorted introduction and they would soon give up...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy

Bought one years ago and made an adapter for upside down bullet sizing. The linkage is a copy of the lee o press. Broke the bushing where the handle angle is adjusted and replaced with the Lee and works fine. Works for bullet sizing, too much slop for close work. Made with really cheap grey iron.

I got one of the O style presses. Complete waste of money. The ram and the die hole are so far out of line it will actually bend a 30-06 case. 38 special cases will not enter the die without being held to one side.
    Mine is sitting in the basement drawing rust. I will not even give it to someone, it is that bad.

Boolit Buddy
    Garbage. I had one of their electronic powder dispensers and it eventually went into the trash.

Boolit Master

I had one and with a little tuning I was able to get it working ok. It was no where near as useful as the RCBS, Lyman And Pacific presses I was already using so I gave it to a new reloader. As for as I know he is still using it. If you didn't pay much, it might be worth your time to tune it up.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Interestingly, a reloading buddy has one of their scale/dispensers. He also has a 505 scale. We got talking one day about the 505 (I also have one). He cautioned me that he doesn't use the 505 because he doesnt trust it since "weights were all over the place." Asking him how he knew that, he replied that when taking a charge of powder from the 505 and weighing it on the Smart Reloader it would have a different reading. Then take another charge from the 505 and finding yet another weight. For reasons unbeknownst to me, he assumed that the electronic scale must be accurate, and that the beam was the one throwing variable weights. Obviously, it was the other way around.

Thankfully, finally convincing him to use check weights, he has confidence in the 505. Somehow he still relies on SR to dispense a charge. Me? No way.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Make a nice small boat anchor

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    I have one of the single stage "C" presses. I bought it just to see what the commotion was about. I happened on a Sears site that listed it for $18.00.
    That particular press is fine. The reviews on their electronic scale and vibratory tumbler are vicious.
    I bought of their large tumbler bowls. It was cheap, and it worked good. Of course it's only function was to hold media and brass. It came with a threaded rod and wingnut. They were scrap metal at best, but the bowl was ok, once I opened the hole up, so it would fit on a 1/4" stud.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

I bought one of their heavy "O" presses to use for sizing. It appears to be a copy of the Lee press as far as I can tell, with quick change die holders. I modified it quite a bit - new linkages because it's mounted upside down and new handle. I've re-sized several thousand .38 and .44 boolits with no problems.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sizing press 2a.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	232077

Boolit Master
    The o press is a good start to a project if you have machining facilities..............if you have ever bought rough castings for a model or engine,they arent cheap,and the Smart is cheap........IMHO,they are like Chinese G clamps ,they break first time,or they are OK.

Boolit Master
    First lawn ornament reloading press I’ve heard of
    I’ll keep watching and learning

Boolit Master
    I would never buy one,but if given one,I dont say no..............I can either use or repurpose it,or it goes into the scrap bin,for which I get paid by the ton..........i have the same rule with old machines......if you want to leave them with me,ok,but dont expect to come back next year and reclaim them......

Several years ago I got a refund from Graf & Son after complaining about the Smatreloader scale/dispensers. The Lady on the phone they discontinued carrying them because all the complaints. They didn't even want it returned for the refund.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast