Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best veterans charity?

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    Yes, Project Healing Waters is an excellent organization! I have donated to them before.

RugerFan - Thank you!

Boolit Master

A few years ago my gun club held a benefit rifle shoot for Wounded Warrior Project with 100% of the money going to them. They returned our check with a letter stating they didn't accept money from gun related orgs! They will NEVER see another dime from me nor will I participate in anything with their name attached to it.

Shriner's Children's Hospital and Saint Jude Children's Hospital get the biggest part of my charitable donations any more. I KNOW my money gets to where it needs to go.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
    A few years ago my gun club held a benefit rifle shoot for Wounded Warrior Project with 100% of the money going to them. They returned our check with a letter stating they didn't accept money from gun related orgs! They will NEVER see another dime from me nor will I participate in anything with their name attached to it...
    Very interesting. One of our range officers...former Marine NCO...is very active in Wounded Warrior Project and, for the last couple years, has been pushing for the club to install 'handicap access' for our high-power rifle line (estimated cost in the neighborhood of $30K) so that he can bring some of the vets he works with out to shoot. Wonder if he knows that our money isn't 'acceptable' to WWP? Btw, about half our membership are veterans, some with service-related disabilities, and get along quite well with our current arrangement.

Bill

11th Air Assault Gp
    1st Cavalry Div (airmobile)
    RVN '66, '67, '68
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 12-08-2018 at 07:51 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

A few years ago my gun club held a benefit rifle shoot for Wounded Warrior Project with 100% of the money going to them. They returned our check with a letter stating they didn't accept money from gun related orgs! They will NEVER see another dime from me nor will I participate in anything with their name attached to it.

Shriner's Children's Hospital and Saint Jude Children's Hospital get the biggest part of my charitable donations any more. I KNOW my money gets to where it needs to go.
    I worked with a guy that quit to go work with Wounded Warriors. He was always updating his status on Facebook with pictures of him fishing or kayaking with vets in very posh locations.

He lasted maybe a couple of years before he quit citing "philosophical differences". He was a very honest and dedicated former Air Force guy, so I guess his conscience got the better of him. No more links or references to WW on his page.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    I give to the EOD Warrior Foundation, http://www.eodwarriorfoundation.org/. They spend about 10 percent on administration, which I believe to be to high, but some of my friends have been helped by them.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Not the first time I've heard that which Is why I steer clear of them
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Folds of Honor is worth a look also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master

I have donated to Fisher House a couple of times. Got started when our grandson sent us a letter that his college fraternity was supporting Fisher House and was appealing to family to donate. I looked it up on Charity Navigator and was impressed so donated.

I have also donated to DAV and USO after investigating their use of donations. Sorry to say I can't support all worthy causes but at present most of my charitable donations go to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and a couple of semi-local children's homes.
    John
    W.TN

Worked with WWF once.... They offered up $100 'donation' to support a duck hunt we were hosting for DAVs. Once we accepted the 'donation', they pretty much showed up with the cameras, microphones and pretty faces and basically attempted to hijack the entire weekend affair. It was unsettling to say the least, as the intent was clearly publicity and not about the cause. (Bad word for an ill-mannered woman) had the audacity to bust out a recorder and try to get supportive commentary from our guests during a dinner we had all just prepared together, just prayed over, and just sat down together to enjoy. Her entire contribution to said dinner was taking pictures. I'm not a fan....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    About all I can afford currently is to give a Vet friend (I've known him since '72) rides as needed, Navy Vet. I need more budget so I can help more...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    About all I can afford currently is to give a Vet friend (I've known him since '72) rides as needed, Navy Vet. I need more budget so I can help more...
    That's more than most do; definitely more than I've done lately. You should be proud.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Vendor Sponsor

As a business owner I have had several experiences raising money for WW before stuff hit the fan. Found out they were anti gun at least locally and became terrible to work with. They will never get another dime from me
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

I donate to AmLeg, VFW, DAV, USO, and a local Veterans Aid Program. Member of AL Post 36 here in Tucson...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    That's enough. Money is not the end all be all. Thank you for doing it.

If your short on funds but have a little time Patriot Guard Riders is a great organization. You don't need a motorcycle to participate. Standing at Vet's funerals with a flag to honor his/her service is gratifying. Several times the Vet had no-one there but us to stand for him.
    Last edited by jonp; 12-09-2018 at 01:06 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.militaryblood.dod.mil/
    Armed Services Blood Program. A military-run program. Blood product collected is used to treat active duty military and dependents. Limited to locale--check the website to see if there is a donor center near you. Donor centers often go on the road for blood drives. Some restrictions if prospective donor is taking certain medications.
    For what its worth...the Red Cross sells their product to the military

https://www.aerhq.org/
    Army Emergency Relief. A military-run program. Website explains how funds are used for active duty troops.

These programs may not be your cup of tea, but unlike some private sector programs, there is no question about their integrity.

Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    American Legion. Here, we're 35 miles from a VA med center and the Legion runs a (free!) shuttle service for vets who need it. Also, as described in a previous post, Legion provides uniformed 'Honor Guard' for veteran's funerals at no expense to families.

Bill
    American Legion ! That's it... Thanks for providing such a very moving and beautiful service , I will alway's remember it .
    Donate to this wonderful organization .
    God Bless All Our Veterans ,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all of the input. There are several of the organizations you suggested that I'd never heard of.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    I would say the DAV is very good since, even out here it a more remote part of the Olympic Peninsula, I see their vans around daily taking vets to the VA, delivering meals to homebound, etc., not just around the big city.

Boolit Master

not specifically a charity, but if you ever want to have an enjoyable evening thanking vets, take $100 and go down to the vfw or american legion. buy a veteran a drink and have a conversation with him/her. i guarantee itll be the best $100 you ever spent.
    Hornsurgeon's Feedback Thread

a woman's scorn will come and go but a fine rifle will last forever.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast