Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best veterans charity?

Boolit Master

Best veterans charity?

If someone wanted to donate to a charity that assists veterans, what would be the best choice? I know Wounded Warrior project has a pretty shady reputation and the directors used to party pretty hard on the donated funds, so they aren’t an option.

I’m thinking DAV because they help the wounded, and also because their headquarters is not too far away if I ever needed to contact them. Donating to the USO is also a possibility.

Any suggestions?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Most every Vets organization has a Veterans Service Officer. Each state usually has one as well. Some statewide & others by county/parish/etc.. {In MN each county has one.}
    They are the point of contact for any veteran who needs assistance in any way. Mostly for benefits assistance & training for jobs, etc. They would be a good place to start, as well as any American Legion, AmVets or VFW post.

Below is your Kentucky Dept. of Veterans Affairs Overview webpage. There you can likely find the contact info to perhaps contact a local Vet. Affairs Service Officer that would be able to help you directly help local vets in your particular area.
    If you search around that website, you might find even more info that you might find useful.

https://veterans.ky.gov/aboutus/Pages/default.aspx

It is a good thing you are intending to do & I thank you on behalf of all veterans for that.

G'Luck! & Merry Christmas too!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Moderator Emeritus

Fisher House is at the top of my list.

https://www.fisherhouse.org/?gclid=C...8aAsQqEALw_wcB
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I would find a local group that spends your money LOCALLY, without sending in to a national org. There are plenty out there. Just have to look.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

Fisher House is solid. My own interactions with the USO lead me to believe that the money is being spent wisely and well.

I personally have Special Operations Warrior Foundation on my Amazon Smile.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

Fisher House is great!!!
    Semper Fi
    Doc Olive

Boolit Buddy

Ask around at the local VFW lodges they should be able to steer you in a good direction.
    Thank you for your concern for our veterans

642nd Engineer co 1983-1987

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylongrifle32 View Post
    Ask around at the local VFW lodges they should be able to steer you in a good direction.
    Thank you for your concern for our veterans

642nd Engineer co 1983-1987
    This. Or just follow John Burk. He'll do all the investigation. Prepare to be offended. But he makes taking care of our vets a priority.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

You can look up a charity on Charity Navigator, but they only list 501(c)(3) charities. Apparently, DAV is a 501(c)(4).

They rate charities using a 4 star scale. They rate them on "Accountability & Transparency" and "Financial." They break those categories down even further, for a specific charity, toward the bottom of the page.

DAV has a number of offices in each state (there are at least 3 different offices in KY). But, I'm not certain where a donation goes/what route it takes. Does it go to a central/national HQ and then get redistributed to states? Does it go just to a state HQ and get distributed within the state?
    Last edited by WarEagleEd; 12-08-2018 at 12:55 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Watch out for scams.
    We've had a few here.
    90% of donations went to "administrative cost".

Boolit Grand Master

abunaitoo is on the money. Always use a site like Charity Navigator. I stay away from Wounded Warrior due to past issues with their administrative costs.

There are many out there that are top notch. Fischer House is fantastic. The USO has one in every airport I'm aware of that gives traveling vets a place to rest between flights. They can always use donations like food, toiletries, etc for our soldiers. We call them every few months and ask what they need at the local airport location and get a list from them. Canned tuna and bread for sandwiches, dishwashing liquid, snacks etc and buy it on the way.

Slightly different but I donate to Team Rubicon on a monthly basis. They are disaster relief group made up of Veterans that travel all over to provide on the ground relief to disaster areas like clean-up, building repair etc.

"Disasters are our business. Veterans are our passion" https://teamrubiconusa.org/
    Last edited by jonp; 12-07-2018 at 05:18 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy

Look local there are many old vets that need assistance, maybe just driving them to a VA appointment or a hot meal delivered to them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Look local there are many old vets that need assistance, maybe just driving them to a VA appointment or a hot meal delivered to them.
    Indeed. https://www.dav.org/veterans/i-need-a-ride/
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I'm a volunteer for Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing. We are in every state and several countries, serving wounded veterans by introducing them to fly tying, fly rod building, casting, and of course fly fishing. Our organization has only a handful of paid employees, but thousands of volunteers like myself. The greater proportion of donations goes directly to the servicemen and veterans whom we serve. We have participants who have served in every conflict since WWII. Read about us at

https://projecthealingwaters.org/

Thanks,
    Chris Sparkman
    Asst. Project Lead
    Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing - Ft. Belvoir

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    If someone wanted to donate to a charity that assists veterans, what would be the best choice? I know Wounded Warrior project has a pretty shady reputation and the directors used to party pretty hard on the donated funds, so they aren’t an option.

I’m thinking DAV because they help the wounded, ……Donating to the USO is also a possibility.
    Any suggestions?
    I can say that WW has a big fancy building in the expensive area here in Jacksonville. It’s Very luxurious looking. The commercials are on alot, but I haven’t met anyone actually helped by them, & hear of those given only a blanket instead of help. For this I took them off my Facebook page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    I would find a local group that spends your money LOCALLY, without sending in to a national org. There are plenty out there. Just have to look.
    Donate to a local group.
    When my Dad (WWII Navy vet ) passed the funeral home notified a local group who furnished an American Flag for his casket , they played taps , folded the flag and presented it to me...It was so moving and appreciated...I cried . Call your local funeral home and find out where to make a donation to this organization that provides a beautiful send off to our veterans . Our family wasn't charged a dime....so we made a donation to them directly.

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by chsparkman View Post
    I'm a volunteer for Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing. We are in every state and several countries, serving wounded veterans by introducing them to fly tying, fly rod building, casting, and of course fly fishing. Our organization has only a handful of paid employees, but thousands of volunteers like myself. The greater proportion of donations goes directly to the servicemen and veterans whom we serve. We have participants who have served in every conflict since WWII. Read about us at

https://projecthealingwaters.org/

Thanks,
    Chris Sparkman
    Asst. Project Lead
    Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing - Ft. Belvoir

Yes, Project Healing Waters is an excellent organization! I have donated to them before.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Grand Master

If you have some extra time … see what you can do personally.
    When we are up north I go see one 90 year old vet weekly and sit with him for a couple hours and just talk.
    A second I see twice a month.. again just talk.
    I will also do simple jobs they need done. Haul them to the store. No regrets with the time involved.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

American Legion. Here, we're 35 miles from a VA med center and the Legion runs a (free!) shuttle service for vets who need it. Also, as described in a previous post, Legion provides uniformed 'Honor Guard' for veteran's funerals at no expense to families.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Check with your local VFW.Our local VFW will give medical items everything from walkers to hospital beds free of charge to vets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast