RepackboxLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BREN Gun

Super Moderator

Thanks for the write up. Great piece of history brought back to life, that thing is bad to the bone.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 12-07-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ahhhhhhh.The stories that old beast could tell.Thanks for the write up.Thanks for your service.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Outstanding! A buddy of mine has a Bren and a Boys rifle (.50 BMG conversion) Both are amazing.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    The BAR was not at all a bad design and while WW2 American versions were not that sophisticated European users improved on the design remarkably. They developed both quick change barrel modifications and belt feed conversions along with lage capacity H type magazines. The operating system is still in use today in the FN LMGs and squad autos.
    A Aerial gun using the BAR operating system held the record for rounds per minute for many years, well over 2K RPM.
    A replacement for the 1919A6 that used the BAR type toggle was in the works towards the end of WW2. It was similar to the later FN58.

The ancestor of the BREN was pretty much perfected before the British modified the design to suit the rimmed .303.
    They also had a prototype .303 chambered BAR but as expected it didn't work out well, mainly due to the erosion problems of cordite ammunition. Bores wore out too quickly in full auto fire and they had not adopted a quick change barrel at that time.

The BREN had its teething problems. The first run of these had serious reliability problems in desert warfare.
    An investigation uncovered that an engineer at the factory had thought the tolerances were too loose and taken it on himself to reduce the tolerances. No problems were encountered when the guns were used in Europe but in North Africa conditions were quite different. The Long Range Desert Patrol group chose to use the old Lewis guns and Vickers K aircraft guns till the BREN's problems were sorted out.

USMC 77, USRA 79

That is one freaking cool gun!!!!!!! I want one!!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    When I was in the Australian Cadet Corps we used the Bren ,great firearm and very accurate .Enjoyed firing it on range days .Iwas 15 years old then a great experience for a young person .Would love to have a crack with one again .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12