RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BREN Gun

Boolit Master

BREN Gun

Had this brought into the shop today for an inspection. RSAF BREN Mk II in .303 made in 1942. Just missing the buttplate and is broken down sitting in the solvent tank at the moment. Hopefully will test fire tomorrow with some 1942 dated MkVII ammo.

Cleaned and disassembled.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

Reassembled, repaired stock, and now my biggest rattle can paint job.

CD

ETA: Take that back, Carl G's are bigger.
    De Oppresso Liber

Boolit Master
    Too cool.

Boolit Master
    Looks like you sure did a good job on rebuilding that old machine gun. Since you're in Afghanistan I'd guess the fully auto laws don't apply? Let us know how it shoots.

Boolit Grand Master

Well done!
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Nice!

I wish I could be there when ya let some rip.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    So...ummmm....what did u check with the DVOM lol. Very cool, that things seen some stuff

Boolit Master

Jealous I am.

Boolit Master
    The Australian Army still had a few chambered in 7.62 Nato when I was dressed in green, I never liked the 7.62 version after firing the 303 version it just felt different to me. Those who carried them in combat spoke highly of them. It is good to see that some have survived the ravages of time. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

Drool worthy.
    Thanks for posting, please share the range results. The old guys I'd talk to said some were very accurate, to accurate in fact.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    When my dad did his National Service, he told me of all the weapons they trained him with. He said the SMLE kicked him too hard (dad was not a big bloke), he said he couldn't hit nothing with the Owen gun, but he loved the BREN. I always wanted to fire one. Won't never get to.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    What a fine piece of history to have in your hands !
    In 1974 we did some "joint campouts" with British Troops" in Germany. That was back when a troop joined the Regiment for life. They all had the best words for the Bren. The only discontent I remember was not having more range time. They would chuckle when the BAR was mentioned.
    I also await your fine description of that freshly re-furbished Bren.. and a 1942 !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Had two case separations using the KF 1942 dated ammo (one round dated 1938).

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Boolit Master
    Nice find, and it was nicely spruced back up too. It is amazing about all of the old guns still being used over there.

Boolit Buddy
    The BREN was much better suited to the role of squad automatic weapon than the BAR. I wish I could find one now, it would eat the ammo a Vickers doesn't like. BARs were common in Viet Nam and fun to play with. Only ran across one BREN there mixed in with a cache of SMLEs and no ammunition. The Lee Enfields were a big hit, still eligible to come home on DD 603, so excellent trading material. (The advantge to being in a mounted unit, having a tank to carry your loot.)

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting the video - sure looks like fun. While I'd LOVE to shoot that BREN, I think I'll pass on coming to your shooting range {g}

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed fat man View Post
    The BREN was much better suited to the role of squad automatic weapon than the BAR. I wish I could find one now, it would eat the ammo a Vickers doesn't like. BARs were common in Viet Nam and fun to play with. Only ran across one BREN there mixed in with a cache of SMLEs and no ammunition. The Lee Enfields were a big hit, still eligible to come home on DD 603, so excellent trading material. (The advantge to being in a mounted unit, having a tank to carry your loot.)
    One disadvantage I identified while shooting is that with that magazine to my right front (sights off set to the left) is loss of right side visability ie blind spot. Brass is ejected straight down so flying brass out to the side doesn't give your prone position away as much.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    One disadvantage I identified while shooting is that with that magazine to my right front (sights off set to the left) is loss of right side visability ie blind spot. Brass is ejected straight down so flying brass out to the side doesn't give your prone position away as much.

CD
    There's always a trade off. Although, I will say, the Brits did a pretty good job with the magazine otherwise. More capacity and remarkably reliable with a rimmed cartridge. I see it doubled on you a couple of times. Did it short stroke and fail to disconnect or was the sear worn enough it didn't hold? An ammo question, most .303 I have been around, no matter where in Commonwealth it came from would be prone to click bang hangfires once it got to be 25-30 years old or so? your supply seemed pretty reliable.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for sharing the video of your firing of it! Plenty cool!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Both rounds KF dated 1942 MkVII ammo. Case on left was the one that separated first and then left separated and that case jammed into other neck piece. Scratches on left case was from when I removed it. What was amazing that the gun still fired after the first separation. Gave the gun back to the ODA, so we'll see if I can get it back to the range.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6116 rz.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	231664

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast