WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: Done canning venison for tonight

Done canning venison for tonight

Tonight I canned 20# of my doe. It's a little bit of work but worth it, inexpensive and a quick tasty meal. My daughter is an RN who works 12 hour shifts, feels pretty good to help her with a few quick meals for the Grandkids. I plan to can 2 more batches, need to fill another tag this month?
    hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    the wife and I jerky,sausage venison now but we have never canned any meat,its something we would like to get into

Boolit Buddy
    Pretty hard to beat canned venison. It makes a great base for stews , and soups. Also works very well for a quick one skillet meal. Fresh veggies, a hand full of rice, or just over egg noodles. Comfort food to say the least. I have also used it to make gravy to go with mashed potatoes beside a steak. Lots of uses and will keep for a long long time. Enjoy. - Caster
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

For anyone who wishes to can meats, here are two good publications.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/u...an_rev0715.pdf

https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/u...an_rev0715.pdf

The complete collection is available here:

https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/p...ions_usda.html

We put up about 25 pounds this year also, 2 batches in the pressure canner. This was our first try, we added nothing but water. Opened a jar the other night and had tips and noodles, was fantastic..

Boolit Buddy
    Good stuff! I can all types of our veggies and I've been wanting give canning venison a try. What's the average shelf life ? In the mean time, my wife and I just made a bunch of venison Italian sausage. Gonna make brats this weekend.

Shelf life- I like to keep it at 2 years, but have eaten some 3 years old. The Ball ' Blue Book's is $5 and a very good resource on canning. I have my instructions written out for a local cook book, PM me with an address and I would be happy to send them.
    Tom

Boolit Master
    I have 2-3 jars left in the basement, and some we are ready to can in my freezer, but I decided to wait until muzzleloader season is over before I do any.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Moderator Emeritus

We put up 28 pints this fall. Use it mainly in soups, stews, sandwiches, etc.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

We can venison in pint jars. My favorite way to use canned venison; My version of a sloppy joe. I warm the meat up, and remove the liquids, then replace the liquids with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce - I'm going to make me one right now.

Moderator Emeritus

Canned meat, the Amish microwave! Heat, thicken the liquid, serve over mashed potatoes or rice... quick meal!

Banned

I quit doing it. WHY? because it seems like I gave most of it away. Everyone wanted ready to eat venison but most of them don't want to be bothered cooking it themselves. Anymore everything that isn't roast or steaks is ground into burger. I grind probably 200lbs of burger a year and at 3 bucks plus a lb in the store its saves on the food budget better then my son in law eating my canned stuff. don't get me wrong I really like it canned myself but it does take on a slightly different taste and my wife doesn't care for it.

Boolit Buddy
    I enjoy canned venison myself

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk