Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reflex type red dot sight on a hunting revolver?

Boolit Master

Reflex type red dot sight on a hunting revolver?

Anyone running a reflex type red dot on a hunting revolver? I'm pushing 40 and I can already tell my eyes are going down hill. I've considered scoping a revolver in the past, but don't really care for the added bulk, and I think the crosshairs wobbling about on offhand shots might lead to trigger jerking. I looked through a couple of reflex sights for the first time today, and thought they looked pretty good. I held on a few small spots in the rafters and felt like I had a pretty good sight picture. They were even smaller than I thought they were from Internet photos. I figure it would also eliminate any sight radius considerations. It be pretty cool to take a little short barreled revolver and pop a cotton tail at 50 yards! Any thoughts? I notice they come in several different dot sizes and brightness adjustments. Do you have a favorite?

I put a Burris Fast Fire 3 on my Blackhawk .45 Colt. I haven't harvested any game yet, but works well for my 60 year old eyes. I can shoot without my glasses too, which is a plus. I had an opportunity to take a small fork whitetail at 10 yards, but I was holding out for a full sized doe. I really like mine, hc18flyer

Boolit Master

Have been using a red dot on my 41 mag since the first reasonably priced 1" tubes. 53 now and will never give it up. Also use one on my deer slug gun, has worked at 175 yards. It is 2 MOA.

Boolit Master
    I'm sold on them. Started off with full size Trijicons.............now they have much smaller ones. I picked up a inexpensive Bushnell reflex and put that on a 45 LC BH. Didn't last 100 rounds, before the lens shattered.

Recently, bought a Sig 320 RX Compact with the factory installed, miniature reflex. Cat's meow, IMO.

Winelover

I have a pair of 60$ Truglo's on my pair of Ruger Mk III 22/45's.

Both 2.5 dot, I tend to keep them turned down as low as possible for indoor shooting.

Both on a decent day will put 10 rounds in a pop bottle top without touching the sides at 20 feet. Have not tried them much farther out.

But I have slowly been converting everything to either scope or Red Dot.

My favorite is the 2x Red Dot, like a small scope, but smaller, shorter, lighter.
    Gives me some magnification, and is very quick to acquire target. I have I think 4 of them now, all mounted. Everything from .44mag, SKS, to .30-30.

I put a Burris Fast Fire 3 on a Marlin 45-70 for a hog hunt in upper Michigan. It worked great but the only trouble I had was that it was snowing. As snow accumulated on top of the site the holographic image would disappear from the glass. Had to keep the snow off of it.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Aging eyes is a problem with me also. I can focus on either the target or the sight, but not both at the same time. The Red dot has solved this for me. My hunting revolver has a Burris Fast Fire III. It has held up well so far.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9EA2ACB6-8333-4215-BD0B-98D5B2A5C178.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	231605
    Last edited by White Oak; 12-07-2018 at 01:41 AM.

Boolit Master
    I've been using red dot sights on almost all of my handguns for around twenty-five years now. I've also put a couple of different rifles I've owned. The reflex sights work well, but so do the tube/tin can style red dots. Of all the reflex sights, I consider the Burris FF3 (and even the FF2) to be the best value for the money. I've never had one fail, and they have a lifetime warranty if they ever did. Their price point puts them in the "affordable" range. I've owned more expensive red dots, but I can't state that they worked any better or did any more. I shot major competition for years with handguns and I've probably owned over two dozen red dots during the time I've used them. As stated above, the snow can accumulate on the reflex type sights, but the Burris comes with a small cover that can be quickly removed. I myself have used both types of sights for hunting, and I'd give a slight edge to the tin can types for hunting. Dot acquisition is quicker and they can be fitted with lens covers like a scope. They also can be had at a very affordable price and several come with a lifetime guarantee. I prefer the UltraDot series sights based on quality, and features. To date, I've harvested almost seventy deer with various handguns over the last forty+ years and most were with red dot sighted handguns. Over fifty of them were with the .357mag and most of those were topped with tin can style red dots. I've had the Burris FF2&3 on some 44mags and a 45-70 rifle. No problem holding zero or simply holding up. Good luck, I think you're making the right move going to a red dot sight for hunting.
    Note: it will take more than a red dot to hit those cottentails at 50 yards. You still have to do all the good things that have to be done with any handgun. Good luck.

Super Moderator

I have a number of Fastfire 3's mounted on pistols, and a couple on rifles. I'm sold on the mini-sights. The are solid performers, both at the range and in the field.

Boolit Master
    My RH in 44 Mag and I can kill golf balls at a rate of 80% at 35 yds with a Bushnel Holosight (civilian version of the EoTech) with the plain dot reticle with an improvised rest (slumped over the front tire of a tractor).

I like a low intensity setting on the dot to reduce flares around the edges for better target definition and accuracy.

The “tin can” or tube type red dots are somewhat limiting in field of view, especially the 1” diameter. As such I like the heads up display of the reflex sights better with their very wide field. The downside is that there is a learning curve with rapidly acquiring the dot. The key is to work with it and you will train yourself to acquire it instantly.

The other downside is no magnification on reflex versions and many of the “tin cans” for that matter. This is why our military favors the option of a flip in and out magnifier in conjunction with their EoTech sights.

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Mold

Reflex sights are a good deal

I have a vortex venom 3 MOA dot mounted on one of my pistols and like it a lot. It's a good MRO for the money IMO (about 3k rounds through it so far with no problems and a lifetime warranty just in case). It took me a little to get over the learning curve from shooting iron sights for so many years and as others have said its by no means magic, the fundamentals still apply a great deal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aim[1].jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	231608

Aimpoint has the Acro p-1 closed emitter type red dot that I would like to try. (Shown above next to RMR for size comparison.) They are a little pricey (High $500 to mid $ 600 dollar range). But I'm hoping as time and technology evolve or other makers start getting products out there similar in concept to this the price point might come down some. MRO's are becoming a lot more popular.

Boolit Master

I have been using tube style red dot sights since the first Aimpoints came out, first for Bullseye competition , now most of my handguns have tube style RDS or MRDS on them ! I use them for competition pratice/plinking and hunting! I also have 3 rifles with them on.
    IMO there a God send for old and even young eyes !

Boolit Grand Master

Plus another for the Fastfire's. I've had one on my Ruger .41 Bisley for quite a few years now and have had no problems with it. I D&T'd the top strap for a thin flat bottomed Weaver base so the regular sights are still there if needed......they haven't been so far. I also have an Eotech which gave excellent service on my M16A2 in Iraq. It's now on my shooter. I also recently picked up a Fastfire III and have it on a Series 70 M1911 45 ACP.

Both mine have the 3 moa dot but the new FF IIIs have several settings now which gives a large dot, medium and small dot. I like the auto setting because it automatically adjusts the brightness to the light conditions. The FFs also have a lifetime, for who ever has the sight, no questions guarantee.

Attachment 231609
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    I have 3 of the Burris FF's, one on a 10' Contender, .357: one on a 1911, .460 Rowland conversion and one on a Ruger Bisley, NMBH, .45 Colt. I've grown fond of them on my hunting pistols.

I have a vortex venom on a bisley blackhawk. I love it. I started wearing glasses when I was 43yo. The red dots are nice. I like a smaller dot 3moa or less. The batteries last over a year if you remember to turn them off. I used a weigand no drill mini mount.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    This! Ruger needs to offer a revolver answer to Glock’s “MOS” system. I have shot MRDS on several handguns and once you get thru the learning curve they become little rifles. My eyesight still allows me to shoot irons well but when that becomes a problem I’ll move up to a red dot.

FWIW You might want to check out Max Prasac’s Book of Hunting Revolvers. He is a big proponent of RDS on his hunting guns.

And another vote for the fastfire 3 , my dad just put one on his GP100 and the difference for him was Day and night he is in his mid 70's and it really made the pistol usable for him again .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Man
    I have two, a holographic sight on my Ruger Hunter MKIII and a Millet 1" tube on my SBH Hunter .44, both with 3moa dots. A 3moa dot covers a 3" circle at 100 yards, further than I would shoot at a deer, with the .44 or a squirrel, with the .22. They are great for aging eyes, fast target acquisition, no parallax, only one aiming point and if you keep both eyes open, you see the dot with both eyes...………..robin

Boolit Master

I should correct my post... all of mine are the 1" or 2" tubes or cans. I do not find them an interference when shooting, but I do shoot both eyes open. I find them so easy to work with on moving deer and such.

Kudos to Burris for building the FF's. A shooting partner of mine has one on a 7.5" SRH in 454 that has had over 500 FULL throttle 300 and 325 gr loads through it and the Burris FF 3 has held its zero with a death grip. I'm still using a 2x Leupold scope on my SRH but if I was going to put an aftermarket sight on another handgun, it would most certainly be a RDS, for simplicity and durability.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast