Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: How much graphite?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

How much graphite?

I’m going too try my luck in Making BP. I’ve gone through a ton off sticky’s and didn’t see or missed how much graphite to add per weight or volume. I know it’s not necessary, but I want it to look it’s best when I show it to my shooting buddies.
    Thanks

Boolit Master

If I remember correctly graphite is add as a coating to keep the powder from drawing moisture and will retard ignition. I don't think I'd mix it into the powder.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

the only graphite I use is for coating shot. it is detrimental in black powder unless you really know what your doing.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I think that it's added to commercial powder to help it flow better.
    The thread doesn't specify the exact amount, because most folks prefer not to use it.
    But a couple who do mentioned inexact amounts and methods for adding it:

1. "Once you have you powder corned and screened, place it in your tumbler without media and give it a couple squirts of graphite powder. Seal it up and tumble for a 3-4 hrs. Then rescreen it. This will knock off the sharp edges and coat the powder making it much more uniform and making it flow much better. It will also break up any grains that are too soft".--->>> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...te#post3971627

A. In another post, the same poster mentioned to "add a few puffs of graphite powder and tumble overnight again. One final screening and its done!"--->>> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...te#post4238278

2. "I never tumbled it with graphite but added it and shook it up. It definitely went through the powder measure easier. Tumbling would help even more by knocking the sharp edges off the grains."--->>> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...te#post4366110

I would try searching different instructions & formulas until you find one that satisfies your desire to know the amount of graphite to add if any.
    Perhaps you want to try your batch before you add any graphite to see how the graphite affects the burn & flow characteristics.
    Try adding graphite to only a small sample of powder and see if it produces desirable results compared to the powder without graphite.
    It's a whole lot easier to add it than to remove it if the amount that you add negatively affects the powder that you make.
    It's better to add too little than too much.
    Try adding it a little at a time at separate intervals until your finished powder produces the desired flow characteristics.

One poster mentioned 2% graphite, but he wasn't happy with how his batch performed and it didn't sound like it was caused by the graphite.
    Also, he didn't mention where he obtained the 2% figure or when or how that he added it.

Perhaps you only need a fraction of a percent.
    If you want to make good powder, try to follow the best recipes available and get to know your product before tinkering with the recipe.
    Every powder comes out differently depending on the recipe, method and ingredients.
    So be wary before you begin adding new ingredients.
    Last edited by arcticap; 12-06-2018 at 01:34 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the info. I heard it made it flow better and helped keep out moisture.

Boolit Grand Master

After some research I found out that the charcoal is most important. There are election microscope pictures that show charcoal with a lot of little holes and crevices. When powder is tumbled properly, these voids are filled with the other ingredients, promoting good burning. Graphite should only be added as a last step as a coating and without much tumbling afterwards.

I still haven’t found out how much to add, but I don’t think much.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’m going too try my luck in Making BP. I’ve gone through a ton off sticky’s and didn’t see or missed how much graphite to add per weight or volume. I know it’s not necessary, bte ut I want it to look it’s best when I show it to my shooting buddies.
    Thanks
    q ..how much graphite? a.... ZERO!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    If I remember correctly graphite is add as a coating to keep the powder from drawing moisture and will retard ignition. I don't think I'd mix it into the powder.
    ony useful thing it does is make powder run better through/into a measure

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info. I heard it made it flow better and helped keep out moisture.
    dry yr powder and store it properly it dont get damp .....I seriously doubt graphite is much use for keeping powder dry in a damp environment

Boolit Master
    After some research I found out that the charcoal is most important. There are election microscope pictures that show charcoal with a lot of little holes and crevices. When powder is tumbled properly, these voids are filled with the other ingredients, promoting good burning. Graphite should only be added as a last step as a coating and without much tumbling afterwards.

I still haven’t found out how much to add, but I don’t think much.
    none mate ........zero required

Boolit Buddy
    I came across a reference somewhere which mentioned graphite added at 0.5% by weight. May have been a pyrotechnic site however.
    "Failure to prepare is preparing to fail" - Benjamin Franklin

Banned

I just watched a video the other day where the guy was making black out of different types of carbon. One was graphite. It was the WORST of everything he used. It would not burn at all. He had to take a torch to it to make it burn.

Boolit Master
    One purpose of graphite coating is to conduct away static electricity buildup .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    One purpose of graphite coating is to conduct away static electricity buildup .
    John
    conduct it away to where exactly??? the powder is in a sealed can - non static plastic can these days.

The only useful purpose that graphite serves is to make the powder run free er - on the negative side it retards the burning rate and adds to barrel fouling