Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox PBcastco

Thread: How do you replace the extractor on a Rem 11-87 shotgun?

How do you replace the extractor on a Rem 11-87 shotgun?

I was bird hunting this week with a 12 ga Remington 11-87 The gun failed to extract & jammed. On examination the claw extractor in the bolt was gone & inside the bolt cut-out all that was there was a small extended spring. I found the replacement parts on Numrich's. Looks like the assembly consists of the extractor, plunger & spring. The installation looks like the spring & plunger are compressed & then the extractor just snaps in place. Is this correct? Is there a trick to this? Am I missing something here?

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

TIA...

Attachment 231542
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Mold
    yes it should push in and the extractor will rotate in the groove in front of plunger picks/ small screwdrivers will be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3MjkGv5qZw

You may find the above link help helpful it would probably be helpful to do it in an open fairly well lit area the springs and plungers like to take flight sometimes.

Boolit Grand Master
    I never worked on an 11-87, but I have worked on a truck load of 870's. Even though the linked video shows how to do it without taking the bolt out, I would strip it down anyway. Easier to turn just the bolt in your hand than the whole gun.

Also since this is you first time attempting this, a dry cleaner's bag can be very helpful in preventing you learning how to do the "Armorer's crawl." I am getting to stove up to crawl around on the floor looking for a teeny tiny spring and detent ball.

Robert

I did that crawl just the other night!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thank you guys so much!

It looks like even I might be able to do this, especially if I work inside a clear plastic bag!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

Just got back from Remington Armorer school last night (second cert) and the method described is correct. Lever the detent down with a small bladed flat screwdriver while rotating the extractor towards the firing pin hole (like removing a tooth). Make sure you catch the detent when the extractor is free. The spring may need some coaxing to get out of the channel. A small bent paperclip is a good option to free it. Just don't gouge it or kink and you'll be good.

Installation is way easier....Insert spring, then drop in detent and then rock in the extractor starting with the claw portion pointing towards the firing pin hole. when you rock it in it will snap into place and be good to go. Start everything from the front of the bolt face. You can't get anything in from the side.
    Last edited by EMC45; 12-08-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.