MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Making a Powder measure

Boolit Grand Master

Making a Powder measure

Been following the little dandy posts and some other powder measure posts. I have been thinking this thru for a few days now. I believe with simple equipment and some time a very useable measure along the lines of the lil Dandy or a slide bar type measure could be made. A good tight rained hard wood for the body and rotors slide fit and finished should work fine. Brass bushing epoxied in to the hopper tube. rotor or slide and drop tube form the cut edges and powder funnel on the drop side. For the lil dandy style brass tubing to line the rotor charge cavity. On the sliding bar type a larger bushing epoxied in to hold the charge bushings.
    A dark walnut or hard wood with brass metal work Handle the few screws and mounts would be sharp looking.

Cut out the body and sand then work finish into surface deep A good oil type finish, polyurethane, or best one of the epoxy finishes worked into it. This seals the wood and makes a smooth working surface. The brass bushings glued in and finished make the cut edges and wear surfaces. Same with the rotors finish to size and the hard finish to make the wear surface brass tube for the cavity.

Even a belding and mull style could be done in this manner with the wood body brass plates and tubing. line the measure tube with brass tubing a bushing in the hopper drop plates on the slide top and bottom same with the body. Brass plates for the slides front guides brass handle. would look sharp and be very useable.

Looking at most powder measures they arnt real high stress items I think this could be done fairly easily with a table saw drill press a few drills and hand tools.

Boolit Master
    Now thats a classy idea. I have worked on/with machinery that used wood for bushing type bearings. Using an oily,tight grained hardwood.... Ebony and rosewood trimed out in brass with a beveled glass paneled hopper! Well maybe lexan for the hopper.
    Very interesting idea.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I made a powder measure many years ago using an old gas valve. I needed one for single loading at the bench using a single shot rifle. I couldn't afford a new measure so I made one and it works very well. Saves a lot of machine work.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 12-08-2018 at 04:06 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I made a powder measure many years ago using an old gas valve. I needed one for single loading at the bench using a single shot rifle. I couldn't afford a new measure so I made one and it works very well. Saves a lot of machine work.
    Very ingenious, and a great example of making do with what ya have. My Dad(RIP), a mechanical engineer that grew up as a kid in the "Hoover days"/Great Depression would be very pleased to see it, as I am!
    Thanks for sharing the pics!

--------------

If anyone here takes the time to make one out of wood & brass, etc., or even one like GOPHER SLAYER made out of whatever they had handy, I know I would enjoy seeing the end results!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Well done Gopher, I like how you used what you had to work with. That is a dying thing..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    Well done Gopher, I like how you used what you had to work with. That is a dying thing..
    Well, my last name is Dye.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Well, my last name is Dye.
    lol I am a cheap *** and all my friends know it. If I can make it from scraps,,,,most times it works but on occasion, I should just buy.. It's like women, how do you know for sure..

I like the plug valve powder measure. That's thinking outside of the dumpster.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Ever since I was given some samples of these.

http://www.pbclinear.com/Download/Da...s-Shafting.pdf

I thought about using them for a powder measure. One bushing two fender washers, whatever shaft size you pick up to 3”, with a blind hole drilled in it.