WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Cast for Competition

Boolit Master

Shooting Cast for Competition

I have shot cast in my Dan Wesson 44 Magnum for IHMSA silhouette and cast in my Springfield XDM 40 for Action Pistol.
    Let`s here from you competition shooters that are using cast.
    Tell us what kind of shooting, the make and caliber of your guns....dale

Boolit Master
    I shoot IDPA, USPSA and use cast for 9 mm, .38 SPL, .40 S&W & .45 ACP all are coated with Hi-Tek and work great in my 1911's and the Walther PPQ's.

Most every one I shoot with use cast for the matches and shoot a variety of guns.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I shoot Bullseye and cast with a H & G S242 160 Gr SWC. They are supposed to be 160 GR with Lino but I use Hardball alloy and they come out close to 170 GR.
    They shoot great out of a wad gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Competing in USPSA and Steel Challenge. I cast all my bullets and coat with Hi-Tek.

Currently 9mm and my CZ’s love them.

Boolit Master

I shot cast in IHMSA silhouette for 22 yrs. I used 4 different revolvers over the years and finally
    ended up with a Freedom Arms .357 that was deadly accurate with a 205 gr RCBS bullet.
    I shot a XP-100 chambered in .308x1.5 using a RCBS 165 gr silhouette bullet with 24 grs of
    imr 4895. Then my production gun was a BF pistol in .30 maximum using the same 165 gr RCBS
    using Accurate number 9. I forget what the charge was (I would have to look it up)
    Sadly, all the ranges in Pa. no longer shoot IHMSA. ****, I sure do miss it.
    Denny

Boolit Master

While I no longer compete, I shot Bullseye for many years using an H&G 68 clone and, later, used the same boolit in my 'race gun' for IPSC. For IHMSA, only shot cast in 'Revolver Class': a Dan Wesson 741 loaded with 238 gr. TCs from an NEI mold...which, once upon a time, won a couple of state and one regional championships.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

I shoot nothing but cast. Big bore lever silhouette with 30-30 or 32spl, pistol caliber silo with 32-20 or 357 mag, cast bullet benchrest with 30-06 , high power silo with the same rifle, black powder silhouette with 40-65, and plenty of others when I feel the urge to bring them out. Not much handgun any more, my eyes don't work like they used to but I was big into ihmsa back in the day. Never used a jacketed bullet for any of it.

Boolit Master
    My 'as issued' 03A3 has well over 6K rounds through it. All [my own] cast. I hold my own shooting military bench rest.

I tried shooting a few of the run around steel plate and and cardboard sillywet pistol venues years ago after I retired from the Army. Never got into them, but I always shot [my own] cast.

Cowboy shooting is fun from time to time, if for nothing else than the fellowship. Of course that's all cast, and fun to prep for.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

back when I could see well enough and was shooting NRA Highpower for the last 4 years I competed I used nothing but cast bullets in my 03A3 . These were all 200 yds reduced matches.i shot master class with the black gun but could still shoot expert scores with the 03a3 and cast .Tell ya what I had a lot more fun with that old rifle and cast than I ever did shooting the AR .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

CAS for over 20 years all with cast of course. And like sundog I also shoot milbolt BR with 95% cast, all my own.
    Our milbolt match last Saturday was for the SMLE only, I have yet to get one to shoot cast worth a hoot so
    I use the nasty J words.
    Shot action pistol for a few years, always with cast.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

IDPA and Steel Challenge in 10mm and 40 SW. 180 gr TC or RNF powder coated. Glocks and stock barrels. People say you can't shoot cast boolits in Glocks. But then again, Glock says to not shoot reloads either.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi tec cast in 9mm, .38sp,& 45 in glocks, CZs, Colts,and Smith and Wesson for GSSF,USPSA, and casual bullseye competition.

Boolit Master

It looks like lots of fellows (like me) usedta shoot IHMSA with cast bullets. Uncle Elgin even posted cast bullet scores in "The Silhouette". No prizes, just bragging rights. Good enough for most.
    I'd have to dig deep into my loading notes to find specifics, but shot .30 Herrett, .44 Mag and .357 Maximum with cast.
    I don't think I ever scored a 40 unless it was a 60 target match .

Boolit Master

I shoot bullseye pistol so I use the 200 gn.swc. I have a 4 cavity Mi-hec and a 6 cavity H&G.
    I also shoot the distinguished revolver and use a NOE 158 swc.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, IHMSA was a long time ago. I had fun with milbolt a few years ago. Competition now is limited to self and learning new skills with cast techniques.

I like to shoot my cast boolits IN the competition AT the targets... The competitions are all fun steel plate comps that are just timed with penalties for missing.
    I shoot my Ruger Redhawk 44 with Unique or Trailboss loads or my CZ52 with A2400 loads.

Boolit Master
    I used to shoot both IHMSA and NRA handgun matches from 1979 untill 1997 when we lost our range to the liberals in the city of
    Kettle Falls, Wa. My wife also competed and we both shot XP 100's chambered in 7mm TCU. TC's also in 7mm T C U and S&W's in .44 mag. Now we shoot just informally at the range on our place. I stillhave a few of the silly wet targets set up but onlyto 165 yds.
    I still compete in CBA matches in Spokane using a Savage 16 in .250 Sav or a Sav11 in.308 Win. I'm pushin 80 now, but I still try and shoot 3 or 4 times a week.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master
    Like others, I used to shoot IHMSA with my 445 SM DW using cast and my MOA in 30/357max using the RCBS 165. They used to shoot IHMSA at our range till the early 90's, about the time I moved here. We might start again if I get the energy to run the match and someone to set targets.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Most of the shooters at our military and sporting rifle matches in the winter shoot cast.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I have been using cast bullets in all of my handguns for 50 years ! in that time I shot in two to three different types of matches a week, all year around in most every kind of shooting competition with a handgun ,Im a High Master BE shooter for over 25 years and hold various records at clubs for other types of matches.
    I most cases my cast bullets will equal the accuracy obtained with just about any jacketed bullet and most of the time the man to beat shooting in the highest class.
    In my 50 years of casting I have made close to 1/2 a millon bullets and shot about 80 % of them my myself, the others I sold or gave to friends .I have one mould with 77K bullets made out of about 30 or so moulds.that I owen
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 12-05-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast