Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star BM 9mm

Star BM 9mm

Just picked one up from J and G at SAR Phoenix gunshow - bores a little rough but over all pretty good considering the price. Will report back after trying some factory and cast in it
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Prediction: You're going to love it! I have 2 of them. One had a very nice bore as received, and the other's bore seemed to be pretty bad. I ran a couple of cleaning patches wet with Hoppe's No. 9 through it and nothing seemed to come out. The patches weren't even dirty. Went to the range and ran a couple of magazines of hardball ammo through it, went home and cleaned it again, and it looked like a new bore with no pitting at all. So you might want to try some FMJ ammo before the cast. Anyway, these are great pistols, and for my money the best surplus deal on the market, or for that matter the last 15 or so years. Solid steel, made before black plastic guns, very concealable in a serious caliber. The only drawback is that the manufacturer is out of business and replacement parts will mostly be via cannibalization, but it's basically a Browning design and very durable.

Boolit Master
    I love mine! Nice, cushy, soft shooting pistol. Just like riding in a Cadillac.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

Still want one of the Star BKMs (same gun but with an aluminum frame).

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

I have a BM that I purchased last year. Love it.

It likes the Lee 358-125RF, sized to 358 and tumble lubed.

Boolit Master
    As I understand you will never ever see a BKM, the Spanish 70s era Aluminum just did not hold up. That is one downside to the Star BM they aint light.

Local shop had ordered one, see who wanted it. It barely made it in the case before I bought it, he never ordered another. I took out the mag safety and did some work to the feed ramp. Would only feed FMJ, now eats anything. Guess short of making some grips, only way I could have nicer ones.

I bought a couple spare mags for mine, multiple places on internet claimed 9mm 1911 mag springs work, but they don't.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Star pistol which looks identical to a BM except it has an alloy frame. I thought it was a BKM until I read this post.

I would mention for those who are not Star affectionados that the thumb safeties sometimes do not engage when the pistol is cocked unless the hammer is drawn back a bit farther, making engaging the safety a two handed operation. This apparently varies from weapon to weapon. The BM I bought from J&G years ago had this problem. I exchanged it for another with a properly working thumb safety.

Boolit Master
    I have the Star BM and like it very much. For the price it’s a great gun at a great price. It’s also throated from the factory to use lead bullets. My star is very accurate. Don’t know if I like it better or my breaths 92fs. It’s that good

Boolit Master

Folks talk down about Star pistols...until they own and shoot one. Then they want one. For me, it is a Star Super in 9mm Largo.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I sent mine with my nephew for a truck gun so he'll leave the Five seveN at home. He loves it. I'd buy another but I really want a PD 45

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Bought one a few months ago...best value in a semi auto handgun I ever had!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    I have a BM that I purchased last year. Love it.

It likes the Lee 358-125RF, sized to 358 and tumble lubed.
    I have one my dad bought 30 years ago. Its the most inaccurate gun I have ever shot.

After reading your post I'm going to try some larger bullets in it.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought 2 and six extra magazines. Icarry one everywhere I go. It is accurate and shoots and feeds those mihec hollowpoints very good. Its a all steel single action semi auto pistol, for a very reasonable price, I see classic firearms has them on sale for 179, but it looks like they are out of the extra magazines.

I bought one this spring that was in amazing condition, looked like it had never been fired. I was wary of the star name as it seems to get alot of bashing, but this little pistola is a nice piece. One odd thing about it is that it shoots about 6 inches high with everything I can think to run through it. Can someone take a measurement of front sight height? I suspect it was shortened for some reason.

Boolit Bub
    I recently picked one up and I think it is the best shooter I’ve shot. Tried a couple others, but this one was hitting aluminum cans at 60-70 yards.

"As I understand you will never ever see a BKM, the Spanish 70s era Aluminum just did not hold up."

Here is a custom cut down bkm backup gun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kustom cut down star bkm.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	231967

I would give my left walnut for its slightly bigger brother in 38super.
    Last edited by oldscool; 12-11-2018 at 11:48 PM.

I had to have one even though I don’t have a specific need for it. Shoots smooth and wonderful. And 9mm, keeps coming down in price so for others who want to shoot it, they can shoot their own ammo in it. Mine feed lee’s 356/125 RNTL sized at .3565 fine if they passed the chamber check.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I sent mine with my nephew for a truck gun so he'll leave the Five seveN at home. He loves it. I'd buy another but I really want a PD 45

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    The PD's are nice to carry thin and light for me anyways their not the most comfortable to shoot something about that beaver tail on itthat just dug in painfully to my hand . Got to the point that I was loading flyweight 155 gr SWC and justenought powder to make it function . Had a blue and starvel finish model at one point
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

I managed to snag a couple of them too. Really like them, especially for the price.

Boolit Master
    The PD's are nice carry guns, but, I would not want to shoot one on a daily basis I was always concerned about the durability of the alloy frame as well, but, after several thousand rounds it was still going great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast