Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: H335 in my 45-70

H335 in my 45-70

Picked up a lb today and after researching 4 load books can’t find a minimum load for a cast 400 grain bullet. I’m using a 385 to 390 grain bullet from my NOE mold gas checked. Most data found was people hot rodding a 300 grain jacketed bullet. Think the Lee manual was only book I had that showed any data and no cast. Any suggestions.

Boolit Master
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
    Looks like 52.0-58.0 for velocities of about 1800-2000 fps in a lever action. Surf through their site and make sure you enter the correct rifle, they have different loads for TD, Lever, "Modern" rifle.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Everything is jacketed data at Hodgdon.

Boolit Master
    Mostly. They show a couple of loads for lighter weight cast. Either they didn't see much of a market for cast with 335 or they don't think it's a good powder for cast above 325 grains.

Boolit Master

I'd give Hodgdon a call if you really want to know. Maybe someone has a subscription to load data.com can help or has a copy of Brian Pierce's article for reloading the 45-70 about 10 years ago that was really good covering mild to wild. The powder should be OK as it is used with jacketed and heavy loads in 458wm, Lott ect.

Boolit Master
    Maybe not. .458 Lott and WinMag pressures are quite a bit higher than 45-70. That might explain why Hodgdon lists a bunch of other powders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wendyj View Post
    Picked up a lb today and after researching 4 load books can’t find a minimum load for a cast 400 grain bullet. I’m using a 385 to 390 grain bullet from my NOE mold gas checked. Most data found was people hot rodding a 300 grain jacketed bullet. Think the Lee manual was only book I had that showed any data and no cast. Any suggestions.
    What gun are you using? Are you planning on hotrodding it? H335 is usually in the Marlin only section, not trapdoor. If you want lighter loads, I would go with RL7 or H4198. They have done well for me. As for the cast, many times when I load cast, I use jacketed data for the same weight. Cast is usually lower pressure because of less friction.

A Lyman cast boolit manual may have the data you are looking for.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Master
    In Bob Mitchell tests (Canadian), H-335 provided the highest velocities for bullets to 500 grs. at allowable pressures, I believe it is best at near max. loads, otherwise AA2015, RL-7, worked good even reduced.

Boolit Grand Master

I believe the H335 will need to be in the upper end loads for the pressure range to burn completely and consitantly

Marlin 1895 with Ballard rifling. NOE cast bullet with gas check. WW water quenched. I am just looking for 1500-1700 fps or so but don't want to use pistol powders except for myself. The hotter loads are for partner in crime. I had no luck with H4198 so I just picked up some IMR 4198. Not much difference but not the same either. Couldn't find RL 7 local anywhere. My Lyman 50th doesn't have anything but H322 verses the h335. I am going to try some Varget loads but really was hoping the 335 would give some results.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wendyj View Post
    Marlin 1895 with Ballard rifling. NOE cast bullet with gas check. WW water quenched. I am just looking for 1500-1700 fps or so but don't want to use pistol powders except for myself. The hotter loads are for partner in crime. I had no luck with H4198 so I just picked up some IMR 4198. Not much difference but not the same either. Couldn't find RL 7 local anywhere. My Lyman 50th doesn't have anything but H322 verses the h335. I am going to try some Varget loads but really was hoping the 335 would give some results.
    IMR4198 will get you there. H322, H335 or Varget will get you in the 2000 fps range me thinks.

Rosewood

I am using IMR-4198 in my Marlin 1895 LTD-V that has ballard rifling. My cast boolit is a RanchDog 350 gr. sized to .460 I am using 43 gr. of IMR-4198 and getting just over 1850 fps. That load is just under 29,000 CUP and I use it also in my Pedersoli 1874 Sharps. The best part of this load is numerous 1 to 1-1/4 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards. That load has taken 4 buffalo with two cast lead loads and two Hornady 350 gr. RNFP bullets. All four one shot kills.

Banned
    I have good luck with trail boss.

Maybe one of these will help, pick the right category

That looks like a older version of my Lyman 50th. I wish I had an older one. I’m starting out at 32 imr4198 and going to work up to 35 if need be. Got to make sure and take the chrograph to check my velocities. Forget it very time. Looks like 5744 close to it also. Think I’ll try the h335 in the 223 instead.

Boolit Master
    H335 is awesome in the .223. Use it for 55 FMJ plinking loads. With 65 GR SGK for hunting loads, they are 1/2MOA in my M&P15 using H335.

Rosewood

H335 + short 45-70=

Former cylindersmith.

That picture is not what I am looking for but sure would blind a 2 legged critter if it didn't even hit him. I do have a 22 inch barrel but that is a lot of flame.

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    H335 + short 45-70=

The H335 fireball from my old Rem 600 6mm Rem was TWICE that big! Hard on your night vision when varmint hunting!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I've used H335 in .45/70 before. It performs well, but at near maximum loads. You will most likely notice some increased recoil, and the muzzle blast and flash is similar to field artillery.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....