MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Interesting issue with PB checks.

Boolit Buddy

Interesting issue with PB checks.

I purchased some .44 PB checks from Sage Outdoors, yesterday I went to checking some Lee TL .430 bullets I cast a few years ago and some 20 year old .430 bullets my Dad gave me years ago. Using my Lyman lube sizer with a .430 die the checks are smearing and tearing. Polished up the die with some Iosso bore paste but issue still persisted. I decided to try the check seating tool that comes with the Lyman press which set the checks to a diameter of .440 which I figured was a little big for my revolver so I removed the check tool and re ran the bullets through the die and low and behold the checks crimped down to .430 with no tearing and a little black aluminum hazing on the lube band. Not sure how to explain it except maybe the bullet and check needed a few minutes to think about there forced union? Bullets must have hardened up quite well as considerable force has to be applied to the press handle to get the checks seated.

Boolit Master

I noticed that when I run my 9mm PB checks through the Lyman it does that. Runing them through a Lee push through base first does a great job though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    Tomorrow I'll try the Lee. I've tried it in the past with .40 PB checks and didn't get good results but I'll give it a go.

Boolit Master
    I found that sizing the bullet first reduced the torn checks.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy
    Bullets are sized, have been for years. Lee die tears them worse then the lube sizer, I about have to stand on the press handle to get the bullet started into the Lee die. Guess I'll just keep on doing the 2 step process with the sizer if I decided I want to mess around with checking these bullets.

Probably should have purchased a check maker die so I can use thinner material but I just don't shoot the .44 a ton and I figured I could purchase around 4000 PB checks for the price of a check maker which will be a lot of shooting for the .44.

In Remembrance
    [QUOTE=Muddydogs;4519409]Bullets are sized, have been for years. Lee die tears them worse then the lube sizer, I about have to stand on the press handle to get the bullet started into the Lee die. Guess I'll just keep on doing the 2 step process with the sizer if I decided I want to mess around with checking these bullets.

Almost all sizing dies need the mouth opened up to have a smooth transition for pb checks. With a final polishing with 600-1200 sand paper. We have found that harder alloys require dies with a cone shaped mouth for them to work.
    Large diameter bullets need a little lube on the outside of the pb check. Sizing you are displacing .014 of lead material! Got to go someplace.
    James

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like my main issue it the thickness of the Sage Outdoor checks. I have no problem seating my .35 cal checks made from soda cans and a Pat Marlin maker or the .40 cal soda checks I purchased from someone on this forum a few years ago. Guess thats what I get for being lazy, should have just purchased a check maker and made my own. Lesson learned and I won't be purchasing checks from Sage again.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagebrush7 View Post
    Not willing to learn! Send them back! 100% guarentee.
    Not willing to spend a bunch of time opening up my dies to get them to work when I shouldn't have to due to material thickness.

Boolit Buddy
    Funny that soda can checks don't tear with unmodified dies. I'll eat the $30 bucks as its not worth the hassle to send them back.

Just my two cents here as I am in the same boat as you, I purchased my first PB checks last week. My first attempt was with bullets cast and powder coated a few months ago and I snapped a press in half trying to put one on an already sized .458 bullet. Last night I powder coated a couple and put the checks on right out of the oven and it worked fine even sizing the bullet and seating the check in one step. Still easiest to size the bullet itself then run it through again with the check on, the issue was with my age hardened bullets not with the Sage checks. Try some fresh cast bullets if you get the chance and see if you have better results.

Boolit Buddy
    I like Sage's checks and think I'll order some now. Service is great too.