Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Lyman Model 61 troubles

Boolit Buddy

Lyman Model 61 troubles

I've had this furnace over 40 years and recently the thermostat & interior wiring were burnt completely up. I obtained stove wiring and after connecting it straight to the heating element, plugged the pot in to see if heating element had been damaged. It worked and got the lead to a temperature of 900 degrees. I began looking on net for a thermostat and discovered one(B-200)that might work at a company called Bilbee. While looking on their site, discovered an item called Robotemp Units. There are two units listed and one is a solid state unit.

I know nothing about electronics and but have a question. Since my pot is straight wired at the moment, could it be plugged into a Rototemp Unit and used to control the temperature of the pot?
    I would like a temperature range of 650 to 770.

Thanks

Boolit Master

I'm certainly no expert but it'd probably work. That said it seems to me that a PID unit with the sensor immersed in the lead would likely do a bit nicer job controlling things. AND a lot less expense involved!
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Buddy
    I've only read about PIDs and since I have no knowledge of electronics, building one is beyond my ability. Does anyone on CB sale PIDs ? I looked in the Vender Section but didn't see it listed.
    Thanks

Look up "HATCH" on the "Vendor Sponsor" list. His PID's get rave reviews.

building Pid controller isn't too hard.
    Get the PID you like, a solid state relay, and temp probe. Some wire and something to mount it all on or in.
    I used an old Brinks security box, A cash box like people use at yard sales or flea markets to hold money.
    I cut a holes in the side for a 3 prong outlet to plug my pot into, and the place for the PID. Bolted the relay to the inside of the box.
    I used a 3 prong extension cord, cut the out let end off to power the PID.
    when in use I leave the lid of the box open, plenty of air for cooling the relay.
    When not in use the power cord and temp probe get wound up and put inside the box.
    There are several threads on how to build one and they list all the parts you need.
    Leo