Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Is it possible to get HV from SMLE rifles?

Boolit Master

Is it possible to get HV from SMLE rifles?

So I've been reading all the posts about 2400+ fps with great accuracy with custom/factory 30 cal rifles, is it possible to get MOA groups at 100 and 200 meters with military rifles like SMLE's, No.4's, Argies, arisaka's etc?. If it was I'd be very interested in a .316 dia XCB style mold.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Here is target from our buddy Jeff in NZ, FYI ADI 2209 is same as H4350:

Attachment 232953
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    most of these rifles were used as sniper rifles to great effect. they come from a day when marksmanship was more important.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    So I've been reading all the posts about 2400+ fps with great accuracy with custom/factory 30 cal rifles, is it possible to get MOA groups at 100 and 200 meters with military rifles like SMLE's, No.4's, Argies, arisaka's etc?. If it was I'd be very interested in a .316 dia XCB style mold.
    To be honest with you....no, at least not with a ternary alloy lubed cast bullet. That is the holy grail of HV cast bullet shooting but the 8 to 10" twist of milsurps works against it. Also it takes an exceptional milsurp, of those mentioned, to maintain moa accuracy at 200 meters with quality jacketed bullets let alone cast bullets. Many claim such accuracy at HV (2200 - 2400+ fps usually demonstrated with 50 yard or 100 yard "groups") with milsurps but offered no real documented or verified proof of such at 200 yards in particular. They may manage to get one 5 shot (or less) group out of many tried (the one group being the product of random dispersion) but fail to demonstrate moa accuracy out to 200 yard/meters consistently with 5 shot consecutive groups let alone 10 shot groups. That is why you see the "custom/factory 30 cal rifles" being used to accomplish such accuracy with ternary alloy cast bullets.

Adding copper or PC and maximum heat treating may help increase velocity/accuracy potential but with a milsurp to hold moa accuracy at 200 meters.........

You can get that kind of accuracy in those milsurps with that bullet at 1700 - 1900 fps though which should be entirely acceptable at 100 and 200 meters.....at least it is to me. Here is what can be done. Target show 10 shots for score at 100 and 200 yards during a CBA military rifle match with my Fin M39 w/6x scope. That was done with the 314299 (I use both NOE and Lyman) at 1850 fps.

Attachment 232958
    Attachment 232959
    Attachment 232960
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 12-30-2018 at 01:03 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned
    But when you toss the 1903a4 into the mix you get some really interesting waves. Same with the Garand m1-d sniper.

Boolit Master
    My 100 meter 303 groups are like Jeff's, 200 like Larry's, my swede does Larry's 100m groups with 23gns of 2206H (4895) under a CBE 160grn boolit, so I'm in the ball park.

Boolit Bub
    Lee Enfields, like most other military rifles of the time, had about a 4 MOA "passing" accuracy standard from the factory. I'm sure that a load can be developed to shrink group sizes, but you might be chasing your tail trying to get one to shoot 1 MOA.

http://www.allaboutenfields.co.nz/li...s-of-interest/