Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: Berdan cleaning...

Berdan cleaning...

Hello to all.
    I am a enthusiast on shooting eith a Swiss K31 in 7,5x55 caliber but...I have a problem.
    How I can clean the primer pocket of Berdan brasses?
    I add a pic of the dirty removed with a screwdriver but I think that not is the right way...
    Thanks in advance.
    Nino
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181201_075131.jpg   IMG_20181201_075121.jpg  

Boolit Master

Wet tumbling with stainless steel pins is the best way, if you have that option.
    It will clean the inside and outside of your cases, including primer pockets..dale

Boolit Master
    Tumbling with wet stainless pin would probably work the best if that is available.

Can you file a screwdriver to fit the primer pocket and cut a small notch in the tip to fit the anvil post. That would probably remove most of the debris. I have never loaded berdan primers but I would think you need to be careful of damaging the anvil.

I had a K31 and played with it a good bit, they are generally very accurate rifles and very well made. I had a hard time matching the accuracy of the Swiss surplus ammo. Hope you enjoy that rifle.

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    I agree stainless tumbling will ln do the job.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

security torx driver.
    i forget which size fits but the security type fit over the berdan anvil.

easiest way to manually clean berdan pockets.
    otherwise as above, tumble it.

good luck
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Buddy
    Ultrasuoni (costa meno della pulitrice ad aghi) o spazzolino metallico fatto con un pò di retina d'acciaio fine avvolta su un tondino fissato al trapano! Se ci entra puoi provare con lo spazzolino a fili d'acciaio della RCBS
    https://www.brownells.it/PRIMER-POCK...stol-749000769
    o infine con un solvente dei depositi carboniosi (ottimo quello della Montana X-Treme)
    http://www.montanaxtreme.com/product...ct=BoreSolvent
    Oppure li sabbi: contenitore con piccolo foro sul fondo e pieno di sabbia, messo davanti all'ugello dell'aria compressa!

Hello to all and thanks for your replies.
    Unfortunately I have not a steel media tumbler or a ultrasonic cleaner. Also...the berdan anvil in the primer pocket is so easy to damage...so I am finding a soft way to do this job.
    For Airone46...in the above reply there is the cause becouse I would non use the sanding system or the steel brush...
    Thanks again to all.
    Ciao
    Nino

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master

Look at some various fine wire cables and copper wire. use a small point scribe or ice pick to push in the center making a depression a couple twists with this should clean quickly

Boolit Master

Are stainless steel pins and lemishine (citric acid) available to you? Some people just soak the brass in lemishine without tumbling with decent results, but placed in a sealed plastic container you can shake it up a bit, or leave it in your trunk, for better results.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

In Remembrance

When I reloaded a bunch of Berdan brass I could get PMC Berdan primers for a good price, still have a couple hundred. I just used a scribe and ran the point around the pocket and the burnt residue just flaked out with two or three rounds of the point.
    I was really surprised how well and how easy they cleaned up that way. I also bored a hole in the point of a LEE deburring tool that allowed the point of the tool to clear the anvil so I could remove any primer pocket crimps. A couple turns and the crimps were gone.
    I still have everything set up to reload my Bredan 7.62x51 brass.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll be another to suggest the RCBS brush. If thats not available a short piece of stranded electrical wire should work. Any electrician that you can encounter on the street would probably give you a few feet of scrap. I'm thinking that #10 or #8 would be about right.

Hello and thanks to all for the replies.
    Ciao
    Nino

Boolit Grand Master

If you can't clean "mechanically" (wet tumble, pocket cleaner, or pick) look at jsizemore's posted link. A soak/slosh in a liquid cleaner will probably get them clean enough and maybe a quick brushing with an acid brush (but I like the security torx driver idea, don't have one handy to check).
    My Anchor is holding fast!